27/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    4d 15h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

A General Guide to League of Legends

New to league of legends? Well here's a little knowledge about some of the basics

Summoners
    You are the summoner.

Each account has summoner levels. The max level is 30. Each game you play earns you XP, fill up your XP bar, and you level up! Levels can unlock different things. Like summoner spells, new rune slots, masteries, and game modes, but I'll get to that later.

Each game you play also earns you IP. There is a first win of the day bonus, that resets every 24 hours, you can get for winning your first game of the day, obviously. This bonus gives you bonus IP and XP.

Summoner Spells:
    Summoner spells are spells, you, the summoner, provides for your champion. These spells tend to have longer cooldowns than your basic champion spells.

Clarity (summoner level 1): Clarity provides you and a selected teammate some mana.

Ghost (summoner level 1): Ghost provides a burst of movement speed for a short time.

Heal (summoner level 1): It does what the name says, it heals you, as well as giving you a short burst of speed for a short amount of time.

Revive (summoner level 1): This spell revives you instantly when you die, giving you a short amount of speed shortly after you respawn. Super long cooldown.

Barrier (summoner level 4): This spell provides a shield for a short amount of time to block damage for you.

Exhaust (summoner level 4): This spell allows you to "exhaust" an enemy, lowering their movement speed and damage for a short amount of time.

Teleport (summoner level 6): This spell allows you to teleport to an allied turret, minion, ward, or even some champion abilities!

Cleanse (summoner level 6): This spell allows you to cancel out a crowd controlling ability. For instance, if you get stunned (which means you can't move for a period of time), you can use this ability and then you won't be stunned anymore!

Flash (summoner level 8): Probably the best summoner spell in the game. This spell allows you to "blink" or "teleport" a short distance.

Clairvoyance (summoner level 8): This provides you with vision for a short amount of time in an area of your choice.

Ignite (summoner level 10): This spell "ignites" an enemy, dealing true damage (ignores resistances) to them, the amount of damage goes up as your champion level does. This also reduces their healing by 50% for a short time.

Smite (summoner level 10): Smite is meant to be used only for junglers, to help them with the difficult jungle camps.

Champions
    Champions are controlled by you, the summoner. Each game they start at level 1, the max level being level 18. They gain stats with each level.

Each champion has four skills, a passive, and some even rely on just their basic attack.

Basic Attack: To basic attack, or auto attack, an enemy, you simply right click them. There are ranged attacks, as well as melee attacks. Some champions, such as Attack Damage Carries, rely mostly on their auto attacks, but other types of champions, like mages, rely mostly on their abilities.

Passive: Each champion has their own unique passive. The passive does not require any buttons to be pressed, but it just happens. As you learn more about each champion, you'll realize that some passives need to be controlled and taken care of. You can also use some of your enemies passives to your own advantage, but I won't be talking about that in this guide.

Four Abilties: Each champion has their own unique skill set. Most have 3 basic abilties, and then an ultimate (ulti). As you level up, you can put a point into an ability to rank it up. The more you rank up the skill, the more powerful it gets. The ultimate, for the most part, can be leveled up at level 6, 11, and 16.

The three basic skills have max rank of 5, while most ultimates have the max rank of 3. For most champions, you'll always want to max your ulti.

Although, some champions have their ulti level 1 automatically, or are able to level their ulti level 1.

While most champions do have 3 basic skills, some champions' ultis modify their current existing abilities, and change them into 3 new ones, allowing them to have 6 basic abilities!

Types of Champions

Mages: Mages are known as AP carries. They mostly rely on their abilties to deal damage. Some mages deal sustained damage, while others deal burst damage (although, burst damage champions are mostly considered assassins). Mages tend to have low defense to balance out their high offense.

Assassins: Assassins can be AP or AD damage. They deal burst damage, which means they have massive damage output but normally have longer cooldowns. Assassins are meant to kill the enemies squishies (the ones who do the most damage). Assassins are extremely squishy and vulnerable. If assassins are good enough, they can kill the enemy team's squishy, and get out, leaving the rest of their team with an advantage.

Marksmen: Marksmen are also known as AD carries. They rely mostly on their auto attacks. Although, there are AD casters as well who rely on their ranged skills as well as their auto attacks.

Supports: Supports support their team! They can provide auras that give their team stats. They also tend to provide engage or disengage for their team. Supports can be tanks and ranged mages. Tanks are engage, while the ranged provide disengage as well as stats for their team.

Tanks: Tanks, are tanks. They soak up the damage for their carries and act as a front line.

Fighters/Bruisers: Bruisers tend to be melee, they deal both damage and soak up damage, depending on how you build them.

Roles
    Each champion fills a different role, some champions can even fill several roles.
    There are 5 main roles for each game, each player goes to a different lane:
    (you need an account to see links)

Top Laner: The top laner, goes to the top lane. The top laner is generally a tank or a bruiser, to act as a front line. But can also be a mage.

Jungler: The jungler doesn't lane, but helps lanes. They gank lanes to help them get the advantage over their enemy. Although, so they don't fall behind in levels from the rest of the players, they farm jungle camps instead of minions, like laners do. Junglers are generally tanks or bruisers as well, and mostly provide a form of engage.

Mid Laner: The mid laner is mostly a squishy champions, mostly a mage, generally dealing AP damage (ability power). But they can also be AD assassins.

AD Carry: Also known as marksmen. A team relies on the AD carry to do the AD damage for the team!

Support: The support goes bot lane with the AD carry to, yes, support the AD carry. They help them survive and lane. AD carries are vulnerable and supports help them get fed and fulfill their role - to carry!

I'll add more to this guide later on. If you have any questions about League of Legends just ask me and I'll help the best I can! I've been playing since 2010

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bonjour For This Useful Post:

Pusheen (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    @(you need an account to see links)

This looks useful, a couple years ago I downloaded the game to play since my BF was obsessed with it, but I was never able to get the hold of LOL and understand fully how it worked. I end up not playing because of this, and not getting addicted either like most of my friends haha. I'll try your guide if I decide to give it another try

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    4d 15h 57m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Haha, I actually started playing because my ex wanted me to! I absolutely hated it at first, but now I love and hate it