126/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Pay off my mom's mortgage and debts, pay off my debts, finish school. Go travelling, buy a small house, and put the rest of the money in a good savings account and work the rest of my life. Hopefully the leftover amount in savings would accumulate a nice interest amount and I could take it out periodically to go on more trips without really diminishing the total savings.
    I am a 22 year old Finance Student and we are currently learning about investments, corporate bonds, securities market, treasury bills, etc.

The way the economy is right now, high inflation rate and low interest rates. Your purchasing power would end up decreasing overtime in the long run. So in essence you would be making more money numerically but that money will be worth less. You will be able to buy less things with it than if you were to spend it right now.

It makes more sense to buy something right now and wait for prices to go up. You could make a good deal of money if you were to invest it in land or buildings. Instead of buying just 1 house. You could take advantage of the super low interest rates that the banks in the US have right now, courtesy of the $800 billion bailout (money that was just printed on the spot, kind of the like the duplication cheat that people had on neopets not so long ago).

Our Real Estate Finance professor worked for Donald Trump not too long ago and he told us that the best strategy to buy land right now is to buy not one land with $1,000,000 but pay 10% down payment on a whole bunch of properties and let the bank loan out the rest of the money (90%). That way you can rent out the properties and pay back the bank a fixed amount per month (for which the rent after leasing the property out will be more than enough). Thats because US banks are currently so desperate to stimulate the economy that they are offering 4% - 5% fixed mortgage rates for upto 30 years.

At the end of 10 years you will have control over all properties and you would have paid just 10% down payment on each from your pocket. The rest of the costs would be covered by 10 years worth of rent =D The hard part is finding a bank that would give you a 90% loan. 75% is much more likely.
    It is tricks like these that make it impossible for poor people to climb up the social ladder and for rich people to stay on top with no effort.
    All the fiscal and monetary policies are in favor of the super rich.

You could alternatively invest it in stocks or with an investment bank. With the future of the European Union in question stocks is very risky.
    You could also invest it in US treasury bills which used to be considered as one of the most safest investments in the world, once upon a time. Before the States went bankrupt.

Right now they are just printing more and more money to get by and cannot afford to even pay the amount of interest that they have collected as debt from other countries in 'real terms'.

What I am really trying to say is, the world economy is screwed for the next 30 years at least.
    Rich will get richer and poor will get poorer.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I am a 22 year old Finance Student and we are currently learning about investments, corporate bonds, securities market, treasury bills, etc.

The way the economy is right now, high inflation rate and low interest rates. Your purchasing power would end up decreasing overtime in the long run. So in essence you would be making more money numerically but that money will be worth less. You will be able to buy less things with it than if you were to spend it right now.

It makes more sense to buy something right now and wait for prices to go up. You could make a good deal of money if you were to invest it in land or buildings. Instead of buying just 1 house. You could take advantage of the super low interest rates that the banks in the US have right now, courtesy of the $800 billion bailout (money that was just printed on the spot, kind of the like the duplication cheat that people had on neopets not so long ago).

Our Real Estate Finance professor worked for Donald Trump not too long ago and he told us that the best strategy to buy land right now is to buy not one land with $1,000,000 but pay 10% down payment on a whole bunch of properties and let the bank loan out the rest of the money (90%). That way you can rent out the properties and pay back the bank a fixed amount per month (for which the rent after leasing the property out will be more than enough). Thats because US banks are currently so desperate to stimulate the economy that they are offering 4% - 5% fixed mortgage rates for upto 30 years.

At the end of 10 years you will have control over all properties and you would have paid just 10% down payment on each from your pocket. The rest of the costs would be covered by 10 years worth of rent =D The hard part is finding a bank that would give you a 90% loan. 75% is much more likely.
    It is tricks like these that make it impossible for poor people to climb up the social ladder and for rich people to stay on top with no effort.
    All the fiscal and monetary policies are in favor of the super rich.

You could alternatively invest it in stocks or with an investment bank. With the future of the European Union in question stocks is very risky.
    You could also invest it in US treasury bills which used to be considered as one of the most safest investments in the world, once upon a time. Before the States went bankrupt.

Right now they are just printing more and more money to get by and cannot afford to even pay the amount of interest that they have collected as debt from other countries in 'real terms'.

What I am really trying to say is, the world economy is screwed for the next 30 years at least.
    Rich will get richer and poor will get poorer.
    I am Canadian, this does not affect me directly. Our economy and housing market is not doomed (yet lol). 1 million hardly goes anywhere now which everyone will agree with. A 1 million dollar win is merely comfort money knowing that they will still have to work the rest of their lives but finances will be taken care of comfortably since they will see that nice deposit in the bank.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    126/0
    Mentioned
    41 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I live in the United Arab Emirates. Alllll the way in the Middle East.
    Stuff USA does STILL affects the economy here, in ways you cant imagine.

Canada is USA's #1 trading partner, 2nd is Mexico.
    Stuff affects you guys DIRECTLY.

Who do you think USA has borrowed from? All the debt that they have collected? If they fail to return it. What happens to the people they have borrowed from? They have borrowed from foreign banks. These banks have YOUR money in them. If USA cant pay back your banks, your banks go bankrupt and you lose your money.

USA is the worlds biggest economy. They have the highest rates of consumption in the world. Consumption of goods and services that they have not paid for. Stuff they have borrowed from other countries. It cant afford to pay back these countries. Which means stuff they used up is long gone. These countries are not getting they're money back. No country controls its own economy anymore. Everything is too too interlinked. If the biggest link in the chain fails, the entire chain breaks apart.

What USA does affects everyone, everywhere.