Thread: Shop Autopricer (Testing requested)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Shop Autopricer (Testing requested)

Greetings,

I'm starting to rollout some of the programs resulting from my work on Neolib v2. The first (and hopefully last) method I'm rolling out with is Docker. My reasoning behind this choice is as follows:

• Docker is gaining widespread attention across multiple communities and is growing at an incredible rate. Thus the number of third-party companies finding methods to adopting and hosting containers is increasing.
    • Most issues with using Python as the primary language for the end-user is that it requires a tad bit of technical information for the end-user to get a successful install. Just to get my library working on Windows required over 10 different steps (thanks to the lack of native compiling). Containerizing the Python script with Docker avoids all of these issues.
    • Network speed is the biggest variable with the efficiency of these types of programs. However, cloud architecture is still somewhat difficult to master and getting apps built for a native desktop environment to work in the cloud can be tricky. Many cloud companies are welcoming Docker with open arms thus making it easier to get these programs in the cloud and operating at incredible speeds.
    • Finally, the above bullet point can also be applied to hardware challenges (although not as significantly).
    • The first program I've built using this architecture is a simple shop autopricer. It logs into the given account, loads the user shop inventory, prices each item via the shop wizard, and then updates the shop with the calculated price (average or minimum is supported at the time of writing this).

This program is really not intended to be fancy and the main reason I'm releasing it right now is for testing how well the deployment method works. In the future I plan on integrating a small-scale web server into the container which will provide a graphical interface to the programs (for those scared of the command line).

Here is a quick breakdown on getting up and running:

• (you need an account to see links) and follow the instructions for installing Docker on your operating system
      If on Mac OSX or Windows ensure you run the virtual machine and start docker as per the installation instructions
    • Once you're in a command-line (either by starting the virtual machine or opening up a command line on Linux), enter the following command:
      Code:
      docker pull jmgilman/neoapps
    • This will download the latest neoapps image. Please note this is a large download initially, however any future updates will not require downloading the entire image again and therefore should go fairly quickly.
    • When the download is finished issue the following command to test the autopricer:
      Code:
      docker run -t jmgilman/neoapps ./start pricer -u [username] -p [password]
    • Ensure you substitute 'username' and 'password' with your Neopets account username and password.

The program should login in to your account, find any unpriced items, price them, update the shop, and then quit.
    If you can successfully do the above steps, please reply below so I have an idea of how well this method is working. It's much appreciated, thank you!

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Also, for those concerned or curious the source code for this can be seen here: (you need an account to see links)

The ./start is simply a shell script which executes the 'run.py' file with the passed arguments. Of course, you can always terminal into the container itself and check it out if you don't believe me

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AliasXNeo For This Useful Post:

j03 (12-17-2014),Water (12-18-2014)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 4h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    This is fucking awesome. I have an auto-pricer that works perfectly for me (I really need to update the one on the forum) but with your method of providing such a solution I am willing to get Docker and fuck around with it for fun. Great stuff man! Will provide results later.

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, and I apologies if you mentioned it already, but maybe it's a good idea to make it clear that this program is exchanging information with the files on the end-user computer and NOT to any server (like github or a Docker server), so the Neopets account information is not being captured except with the Python script.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Miri (12-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    5d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I have minimal experience with Python and absolutely no experience with Docker. How difficult will it be for someone like myself to get this running? Been dying for an updated AutoPricer.

@(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by JordBarb View Post
    I have minimal experience with Python and absolutely no experience with Docker. How difficult will it be for someone like myself to get this running? Been dying for an updated AutoPricer.

@(you need an account to see links)
    Well, you don't need any experience with either to use this. If you can follow the instructions on the Docker installation guide for your operating system and get a command-line with Docker running started (described in the installation instructions), then all you need to do is enter the two commands in my original post and it should work flawlessly.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    75 times
    Time Online
    5d 20h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasXNeo View Post
    Well, you don't need any experience with either to use this. If you can follow the instructions on the Docker installation guide for your operating system and get a command-line with Docker running started (described in the installation instructions), then all you need to do is enter the two commands in my original post and it should work flawlessly.
    That's all I needed to know. I have a tendency to not stop messing with something that I can't get to work and I really didn't wanna wrestle with this. Trying it out later.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    What about proxy support?

u 'mirin?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 8h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    What about proxy support?
    I can add that. Although honestly the 'proxy' part of most of these programs will be through utilizing the cloud. It would be kind of pointless to use a slow proxy on a gigabit cloud network. However, for local use on your computer, it does make sense.

Would anyone be interested in a tutorial for running these programs on a cloud provider? Unfortunately I can't find any free providers at the moment, so any tutorial would require signing up for a paid service (average cost is $0.007 per hour of use).