13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

ruptured disc

So I have one. D: I can barely walk. It happened yesterday - last night I got home and all of the sudden fell over from the pain. I had to drop out of the horse show I was signed up for today. Major depression.

On the bright side I have reason to sit on the computer all day because I can't do anything else. ^^ But still.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    oh gosh x_x

i have back problems too and on my xray it shows one of my disc is starting to shift. so yeah thats gonna be a pretty painful problem when im 50 lol
    Last edited by whatareyoudoingomgSTOP; 02-11-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    haha no kidding! I have developed scoliosis, most likely due to riding because it's a pretty jarring sport on the joints. I had a bulging disc about a year ago and ended up in physical therapy to try and get me back in line and minimize the scoliosis problem. for a year I was okay, but now it's ruptured.

I don't want surgery D: I hope they'll find another way to fix me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    what does developed scoliosis mean? o.o

i mean i know what scoliosis is cause i have it, but i dont get the developed part.
    i thought scoliosis was idiopathic xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    apparently you can develop it. I had no idea it was possible. but when I was checked at 10, I didn't have any sign of it, and when I got an MRI I had it. they think between having a disc issue and riding with it, I caused overcompensation to take pressure off that disc which resulted in the scoliosis. after a few months of therapy I was pretty much back in line again, but I'm out again.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Ooh...why don't you wear a brace?

Your scoliosis seems really minor if it just took therapy to put you back in line. So an orthopedic doctor will just probably tell you to just wear your brace at night, unlike all day for the people with severe scoliosis.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm kind of surprised he didn't tell me to last time. The problem is even if a brace will help with that, I still have a ruptured disc that I may have to have surgery for.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh okay.

Back surgery is tough Well it was tough for me, because I'm not physical or athletic. But you do horse riding though! When your physically fit, the recovery process is 100x better. Also you should just do it soon because you're young. You don't want to have surgery when your old, especially if its back surgery. Ask your surgeon if you're a candidate for surgery yet.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    The thing I'm most concerned about is not being able to ride anymore. I know that probably sounds silly, but it's my life. When I talked to my doctor a year ago with the bulging disc incident, he said that if I ended up having to look at surgery, the possibility of recovering enough to ride again was slim.

I get the do surgery now though, because I have a lot more chance to bounce back better. I just hope that being put back in line and more physical therapy can help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh okay. I had scoliosis spinal fusion and one of the things that I never can do anymore (along with sky diving, bungee jumping) is equestrianism.

So yeah, it seems pretty slim. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do for you health...
    Your health is everything. I'm sure there can be other things you'll enjoy.