Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about the recent immigration updates?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    439d 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m

How do you feel about the recent immigration updates?

(you need an account to see links)

Not sure if anybody is following this stuff, but Obama just gave the okay to allow the nearly 5million illegal immigrants to avoid deportation. He didn't go through the house and congress, you made an executive order to allow this to happen.

Am I the only one around here who is extremely upset about this?
    It was bad enough when the border was in shambles and we were allowing them all to come into the country. Now we have to foot the bill and allow them to stay here? In a time when the economy is shitty enough, and finding a job can be difficult, why on Earth would the president think this was a good idea?

Thoughts?
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Pronouns
    she/her or they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/0
    Mentioned
    145 times
    Time Online
    32d 12h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I'm not American, so my opinion won't really count. But my country has been voting against immigrants and mosques, which I never saw as a problem. Sure, you get black sheep, but you'll find those anywhere.

Back on topic, I don't REALLY know how the economy is in America, I've read about it but my daily life is minimally, if not at all affected. This is like a great civilization sim game I play, where you try to build up a village to a city and so on. Sometimes nomads pass by and wish to be accepted as citizens. I'd only accept if my own economy were good, they can move into houses and used as workers for building projects and gathering jobs. If my economy is shit and I accept nomads, my number of citizens goes down to zero pretty fast because I can't build houses for the nomads and bla ble bla.

My personal stance is to give immigrants a chance to integrate themselves, get used to the country and eventually getting a job and able to pay taxes. As soon as they commit a crime such as murder/rape, bye bye. You had your chance.

I'm sure we're going to discuss this in school next week.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    If it's gets anything like Canadas immigration it's gonna be bad. We pay immigrants more than our own citizens who have worked all their lives. Pretty sad really. Don't get me wrong I am not against it but.. it doesn't need to be ass backwards. With that being said I do love to hear about other peoples cultures and such so it makes things interesting when talking to people at a bus stop or at a coffee shop etc.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    220 times
    Time Online
    38d 18h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    They are people too you know, just because they were not born in America does not make them less human,there is a reason these people come from mexico / india, because they are shit holes and they want their families to have a fair shot.

For some people it is beyond their means to immigrate legally, keep these things in mind.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tablo For This Useful Post:

Dot (11-21-2014),Foxglove (11-22-2014),nesteagf (11-22-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Don't mean to sound ignorant as I'm not versed completely on the issue and I may seem biased.
    Born here, parents came on raft from Cuba when I was months in the womb, now dad as a resident alien makes good $, pays taxes, mom recently became citizen. I think the Mexican folk should be given a chance. I can't tell you how many of them at work I see with their 4-6 kids that were probably born here. If the parents are deportable it puts their kids at risk. I think they should be allowed to be working citizens and pay taxes like we do. I can't imagine the stress of being deportable. America is where people immigrated to all the time. I see them a lot in a dilapidated old school bus painted blue heading to the fruit fields to pick it. They work harder than I ever will. If they are willing to work here then they should be given a chance

u 'mirin?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

Foxglove (11-22-2014),Naomi (11-21-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    The problem is no one can say for sure how long they've been here illegally. I'd say fine them $35,000 per person (including kids born in the U.S legally) if they want status here and go through the entire process for those who are just coming here. If you can't pay the fine.. gtfo and take your kids with you. They may not be less human, but they are breaking the law. Obama said that he would allow those to be here that were not criminals. I'm sorry, but every person here illegally is now considered a criminal. I don't see how people can see through that.

As a citizen, you should be able to speak/read/write at least 80-85% of the native language of said country. Why in the hell should I have to get a translator to speak to you because you did not bother to learn even the most basic thing needed to live here. I'm sorry but F*** that!
    Last edited by XxGevaudanxX; 11-21-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I don't think its a good idea to just fine them like that. 35k each would be like 150k for a family of five, that's essentially a mortgage in most places. They can't progress that way. Illegals are gonna be here anyways, I feel we might as well give those willing to become a part of American society the opportunities and tools

u 'mirin?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    158/9
    Mentioned
    217 times
    Time Online
    54d 9h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Quote Originally Posted by XxGevaudanxX View Post
    The problem is no one can say for sure how long they've been here illegally. I'd say fine them $35,000 per person (including kids born in the U.S legally) if they want status here and go through the entire process for those who are just coming here. If you can't pay the fine.. gtfo and take your kids with you. They may not be less human, but they are breaking the law. Obama said that he would allow those to be here that were not criminals. I'm sorry, but every person here illegally is now considered a criminal. I don't see how people can see through that.

As a citizen, you should be able to speak/read/write at least 80-85% of the native language of said country. Why in the hell should I have to get a translator to speak to you because you did not bother to learn even the most basic thing needed to live here. I'm sorry but F*** that!
    Do you speak Algic, Iroquoian, Muskogean, Siouan, Uto-Aztecan, Athabaskan, Salishan, Eskimo-Aleut, or Mayan?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Water For This Useful Post:

Dot (11-22-2014),Naomi (11-21-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Some of the stuff said is verging on racism...

Can't say much about America since I don't live there but I believe everyone should be able to have an equal opportunity to make their lives better.

[/FONT]

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fleur For This Useful Post:

Jeongyeon (11-22-2014),Naomi (11-21-2014),nesteagf (11-22-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    439d 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    There's a lot of different viewpoints here, which is awesome. I love hearing all the different sides of things.
    You don't have to be extremely well versed on the issue, it's easy enough to pick up. But it's something that has been going on for awhile now and it's really been bothering me. Yes, they are people too.. nobody will refute that. But there is a legal way to get citizenship, and there is an illegal way to get citizenship. Climbing aboard "death trains" and jumping the boarder, while out government does nothing to enforce the laws is the wrong way. There are plenty of people who go through the proper steps, or are here for legal reasons, and that's fine.

The argument about the Indians is a valid point. Fortunately, most people around now a days were not even alive when either of those events occurred, and things have changed quite a bit since then. I'm not going to try and defend the actions of back then, it was a MUCH different world back then. That's just another side of the argument to look at. I'm sure people with that point of view will feel differently if it was their jobs being taken by people who will do the work cheaper.

I'm just really tired of having to pay the way for other people. You can call me an asshole all you want, but I'm tired of paying for government subsidies for food, housing, phones, clothes, this that and the other. Just got mail the other day asking me to donate money to the "gas fund". Umm, no, sorry I have to fill my own cars tank with gas. D:

I just see nothing good coming from this. There haven't been that many new jobs introduced, and the ones there were are low level services jobs... perfect for the "new citizens" to swoop in and take.

I made this thread earlier after reading the news just to get opinions. I'm a little bit drunk now, so hopefully nothing else I said is too mean. I just get worked up about stuff lol
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

15. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

XxGevaudanxX (11-22-2014)