Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel bad about spending so much money on a stupid game?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

Angry Do you ever feel bad about spending so much money on a stupid game?

I mean, so much of us have spent so much money and time on Neopets, sometimes I feel it's as silly as throwing a dog a birthday party. I wish we had like a communal charity thing where we each donated five dollars to a trusted organization once a month that helps poor countries educate themselves and gives them the resources they need to continue to thrive. Which is so odd in itself, because we take those resources and then "ever so generously" ""donate"" a little bit back.

Haiti anyone?

Sierra Leone?...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

cibomatto (05-22-2014),Clair (05-18-2014),Foxglove (05-18-2014),Naomi (05-18-2014),simmie (05-18-2014),Skylily (05-23-2014),SnoLeopard (06-07-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    I would be down for this if we ever wanted to start some sort of "give back" program, hahaha.
    Would make me feel more like Robin Hood, sneaking things away from all those inactive accounts from people who made the same realization about how silly it is to spend time and money on Neopets (but could actually give it up), and giving it back on their behalf to people who really need it.

LOL, sounds dumb to say it like that. B'yeah.

tl;dr - Yes. Sometimes I feel dumb.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),cibomatto (05-22-2014),Naomi (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    You aren't dumb, but yeah I was thinking, most people have five bucks a month to spare and there are a 'lot' of us on this forum, the five dollars could even be a raffle for a UC or an item or something. Maybe even donate to a new charity each month? There's a lot of shit going on in the world that could use a lil' bit of cash help.

Cancer research
    Poverty
    Reforestation
    Ocean Preservation
    Animal Preservation

We could even as a group "adopt" a rescued wild animal that a non profit needs funds to keep up to date. @(you need an account to see links) likes tigers. Wanna adopt a tiger??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

rachel (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    If we could find people who'd be willing to front raffles and what-not, I think that'd be great!
    I could probably muster up a few things I'd be willing to raffle off, although I'm not saying they'll be the greatest, LOL.

$5/month isn't a lot; there are already a lot of people who fork this much out for VIP membership.
    Not saying to sacrifice one for the other, haha, but having the conjoined effort of people who are interested in supporting it would be really cool.
    I bet we could find some others who'd be interested!

It'd just be a matter of finding a way to organize it so that people felt comfortable donating, and maybe some sort of program to show what exactly our money was going toward.
    I don't know much about non-profits or setting up a place to donate to, but I think people might feel more comfortable if it was going to a set location, rather than one person collecting all the money to donate, y'know?

But, if we could figure it out, I'd totally back this idea 100% and would love to be a part of something like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I do, but I make sure to give back in a way; my family sponsors a child, and I recently got a job and started sponsoring another on my own; make sure she's well fed, going to school, clean water, and good shelter. Also impacts her family and her village, so that's pretty neat!

I do worry sometimes secretly though if my money's being used for good when donating to other things. I get paranoid.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),Cheese (05-22-2014),cibomatto (05-22-2014),Clair (05-18-2014),Foxglove (05-18-2014),Lyric (05-18-2014),rachel (05-18-2014),Skarl (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    169/0
    Mentioned
    273 times
    Time Online
    56d 5h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I vote we get together and change how the world is run!

It's also a little racist to say poor countries, just saying..

To answer your question though.. No I don't feel bad about spending money on games, I work for the money and so I decide where to spend it. If I felt bad about spending it on games I wouldn't spend it on games. lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zxzero For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),Zeppelin (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Yes I agree, someone with a bit more background in financing these sorts of things. I would be willing to buy UCs monthly for the cause.

First thing is deciding on what our cause should be. Do you think a new monthly charity would work or should we focus on one thing? My personal priorities are cancer research, and AIDs prevention in Sierra Leonne, but there are a lot of worthy causes out there. We could put it into a paypal that only the admins have access to?

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zxzero View Post
    I vote we get together and change how the world is run!

It's also a little racist to say poor countries, just saying..

To answer your question though.. No I don't feel bad about spending money on games, I work for the money and so I decide where to spend it. If I felt bad about spending it on games I wouldn't spend it on games. lol.

Impoverished countries raped by richer countries who don't give a damn. Hopefully that sounds more politically correct. :3

It's just a catchy title to make you feel like shit. Because if the title doesn't the pic of the kid might? Isn't that how these things work? Feel bad for having more and the ability to give back?
    It's positive manipulation!
    Last edited by Banannie; 05-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    My priorities are animals, so your first post makes my opinion here not helpful, haha. All of my "pets" are rescues.

I'm also an autism advocate. My Godson is autistic and that hits home for me.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skarl For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),Lyric (05-18-2014),simmie (05-23-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    48d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I support this and would be on board. I would recommend a vote for the charity if enough people are interested.

That being said, I no longer donate to cancer research. It's somewhat silly to generalize, but I had a bad experience with how certain researchers treated my terminally ill family member, and I no longer feel comfortable with the research methods used. That being said, something like Make a Wish or charities that support actual cancer patients, I am all for.

I also have a particular affinity towards NIMH (national institute of mental health.) AIDs prevention also sounds like a worthy cause.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naomi For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),rachel (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    Quote Originally Posted by Banannie View Post
    Yes I agree, someone with a bit more background in financing these sorts of things. I would be willing to buy UCs monthly for the cause.

First thing is deciding on what our cause should be. Do you think a new monthly charity would work or should we focus on one thing? My personal priorities are cancer research, and AIDs prevention in Sierra Leonne, but there are a lot of worthy causes out there. We could put it into a paypal that only the admins have access to?
    I think supporting a wide range of things would be awesome, which would give those people who have very specific passions and interests an opportunity to support what, as @(you need an account to see links) said, "hits home for them," which is never the same for any two people.

And I think that's a good idea, although it would require having someone on Staff who would have the time, patience, and ability to support it - although I suppose they wouldn't necessarily need to be the ones who research and host the different causes each month. Might be worth putting a thread in to Forum Suggestions, though. Maybe even design a team, like the gfx team, dedicated to supporting it? Idk. Idk how these things work, LOL.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachel For This Useful Post:

Banannie (05-18-2014),Skarl (05-18-2014)