15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m

Work Life

Just curious how other feel about this. Would you give up a pretty decent stagnant paying job for something with double the pay? Higher up on the ladder as a supervisor, but lets just say you get double the pay with obvious more hours. so from a 40 hour work week to roughly 60ish going from 1k a week to 2k

would you do it? just wanting to hear everyones thoughts if they so decide to respond.

thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    It depends on the time you need in your personal life. For me I don't think I would do that, just because I value my time with my family pretty highly. I've established a pretty firm work life balance with the spot I work right now - for which I am very thankful for.

Based off your example, 50% more work for 2x the pay:
    $1,000 a week for 40 hours - $25/hour
    $2,000 a week for 60 hours - $33.33/hour

So if more hours are REQUIRED, then you're really not making double the pay. It's a raise, but not nearly double.

If I wanted to make that jump, I'd try to negotiate to make sure I don't have to work THAT many more hours, or try to get a little higher bump in pay if the extra hours are mandatory.

On the flip side, if you have the time and don't mind putting it in, more money is never a bad thing. You just have to weigh the pros and cons.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    🦕☄️🌃
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    56d 15h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 24m
    I don't have much advice but I want to wish you luck on whatever choice you decide to go with (Either staying at your current or going to the new higher paying/hour working job)

Just from the looks of it you'd lose more personal time going to the newer job vs the one you have and I would find that mentally/physically exhausting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Totodile For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    thank you @(you need an account to see links) for this input. its weird how its structured. its a salary pay with mon-fri "OT" that pays you hourly straight time after 40 hours. then Saturdays theyll pay time and a half. it essentially comes out to more. i will say when i had my business and i put in 16 hours i still got paid my same we'll call it "1k" weekly and worked my ass off for nothing. so this in comparison i would mos def get more for the hours i put in if it were 10 hours mon-sat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (2 Weeks Ago)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    thank you @(you need an account to see links) for this input. its weird how its structured. its a salary pay with mon-fri "OT" that pays you hourly straight time after 40 hours. then Saturdays theyll pay time and a half. it essentially comes out to more. i will say when i had my business and i put in 16 hours i still got paid my same we'll call it "1k" weekly and worked my ass off for nothing. so this in comparison i would mos def get more for the hours i put in if it were 10 hours mon-sat.
    That is definitely a strange setup, but on the bright side - you know what you're getting into before you make the jump. Another thing to consider is the long term implications.
    Is there room for advancement and future bump in pay if you take this new gig and do amazingly well in it like I'm sure you will? Are there other perks that come along with being a supervisor? How is time off handled? Things like that are very important on top of just the flat pay. I'm the kind of person who has to know AS MUCH information as I can, even if it seems trivial or unimportant because it let's me paint a complete picture in my head.

Look at it also as, since they seem to value you and want to push you up the ladder, you're in a pretty solid spot. Could you just push for a raise in your current position?
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Totodile View Post
    I don't have much advice but I want to wish you luck on whatever choice you decide to go with (Either staying at your current or going to the new higher paying/hour working job)

Just from the looks of it you'd lose more personal time going to the newer job vs the one you have and I would find that mentally/physically exhausting
    i am trying to factor that too. thinking to myself if this is something to put on a resume as an official "supervisor" title and leave after a couple years. its honestly a hard choice. and still daunting me with the fact that i probably wouldnt have much of a life or i could but only on sundays lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 27m
    Personally, I value time over money. I had a job I really enjoyed that was requiring 12 hr days, 7 days a week with really good pay, frequent promotions, and frequent 4 figure bonuses. The work was right up my alley but I just couldn't do it anymore after my kid started crying one day because I couldn't play with him (which was often the case). I was ready to take a 20k base paycut (also no bonuses) to go back to 40-50 hrs at a previous company. Somehow lucked out and got a different job with barely a base pay cut, but also no bonuses, I work 40 hours and couldn't be happier.
    Thanks Mothman for the Werelupe avatar

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UCWerelupe For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago),Halloqueenie (2 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    ⚔️
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    29d 12h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    That is definitely a strange setup, but on the bright side - you know what you're getting into before you make the jump. Another thing to consider is the long term implications.
    Is there room for advancement and future bump in pay if you take this new gig and do amazingly well in it like I'm sure you will? Are there other perks that come along with being a supervisor? How is time off handled? Things like that are very important on top of just the flat pay. I'm the kind of person who has to know AS MUCH information as I can, even if it seems trivial or unimportant because it let's me paint a complete picture in my head.

Look at it also as, since they seem to value you and want to push you up the ladder, you're in a pretty solid spot. Could you just push for a raise in your current position?
    as far as value current position yes. most of my upper management see me as valued to go up the ladder here. i need some schooling for "paper trail" if you will. but im in the air of just leaving and making what i should be making.

yes i did look into the other position but this guy wants a confirmation if im willing to accept the hours first??? before details??? wtf is that about lol. first i have ever seen with an HR manager wanting a "yes i will work for your slave company before signing" type shit i have ever seen lol

thanks boss. ! ill dig deeper for some answers. i dont mind this pay but yeah i want to see their work life ethics

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UCWerelupe View Post
    Personally, I value time over money. I had a job I really enjoyed that was requiring 12 hr days, 7 days a week with really good pay, frequent promotions, and frequent 4 figure bonuses. The work was right up my alley but I just couldn't do it anymore after my kid started crying one day because I couldn't play with him (which was often the case). I was ready to take a 20k base paycut (also no bonuses) to go back to 40-50 hrs at a previous company. Somehow lucked out and got a different job with barely a base pay cut, but also no bonuses, I work 40 hours and couldn't be happier.
    this is a factor too. if i ever wanted a family id have to sit and chill with the 40 because of that time. i think i know what want. ill probably still look for other positions that pay techs 45+ but only 40 hour weeks so i have time at home. thank you everyone!

i appreciate your input! please if anyone else has more id love to hear your work life balance! helps me or others figure theirs out too!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    3d 7h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 27m
    this is a factor too. if i ever wanted a family id have to sit and chill with the 40 because of that time. i think i know what want. ill probably still look for other positions that pay techs 45+ but only 40 hour weeks so i have time at home. thank you everyone!

i appreciate your input! please if anyone else has more id love to hear your work life balance! helps me or others figure theirs out too!
    Family obviously changes everything. I used to be in the Navy as well, went on a couple deployments and had a great time. Got married before my 3rd and I was miserable during it. Had I stayed single, I would have had no issue going 20 years, but that wasn't in the cards.
    Thanks Mothman for the Werelupe avatar

15. The Following User Says Thank You to UCWerelupe For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago)

Pronouns
    𝕊𝕙𝕖
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    124d 22h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 40m
    Just curious how other feel about this. Would you give up a pretty decent stagnant paying job for something with double the pay? Higher up on the ladder as a supervisor, but lets just say you get double the pay with obvious more hours. so from a 40 hour work week to roughly 60ish going from 1k a week to 2k
    --------

Ive done this before, and I regretted it terribly. My life was stress and only about work, days off was just exhaustion. Being a manager is awful and masochistic. I ended up asking to be demoted back, I just was more careful with my money. Eventually got a management position that is 40 hours a week. Ill never go back to over 40 hours a week. Mentally horrible

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DankRUSE For This Useful Post:

Excalibur (2 Weeks Ago)