Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Fitness Help!] Best way to gain muscle tone from your experience?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    2d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Peta View Post
    omg no, are you for real?
    OP don't listen to this nonsense about how women shouldn't lift heavy for fear of getting 'bulky'. There is no such thing as 'tone', what you really mean is you want to put on a bit of muscle. Lifting heavy will get you there faster, I promise you that you won't get 'bulky' lmao. Can provide you plenty of pics (and personal experience) to prove this haha.

By heavy, I am talking about what the other poster was implying, take a bunch of creatine, do leg reps with 300 lbs and whatnot.

Heavy is relative, its very difficult for 95% of the population to do targeted toning exercises with heavy weights, or you'll end up hurt - especially if inexperienced.

Heres a quick link on the web to toning exercises, most are done with 5-lb - 10 lb dumbells max (i recommended just getting the strap on ankle weights as its simpler and you have no risk of getting calloused, even if that possibility is small)

(you need an account to see links)

I wasn't meaning nor intending to sound sexist. Anything lifting 200 lbs is going to look bulky, most women do not want to look bulky or ripped. I wouldn't consider anything under 50 lbs single handed heavy, neither would stores if you went in and asked them for weights.

Toning is about reps, heavy weights can only be repped 1-5 times. That results in mass gain. Back when I was in HS, I wrestled lightweight (125 bracket) and it was important that while gaining strength I did not increase my mass. In college, I boxed and I needed to increase my mass. Both times I worked with strength coaches (who worked with all sorts of people) and in both instances, the workouts [and diets] were drastically different, while working similar body parts. In both cases I was required to maintain as little body fat as possible as well.

So again, sorry if anyone was offended - it wasn't my intent. There have been alot of posts by underweight guys and guys looking to bulk up from looking at this board and I didn't want to just assume with the anonymity of the internet that the poster was female, and if any female wants to go around bench pressing 200 lbs, kudos to her, I know quite a few that can. Anyone interested, you can look at the link above and look at other popular toning workouts (Jillian Michaels has several) - they *do not* utilize heavy weights for their intended purposes, which is general toning. People can achieve results with all sorts of stuff, but going out and failing lifts can discourage a person, working up the plank route or resistance band route in terms of reps is alot easier to stick with. [and resistance bands are not for girls only, I still have a full set of them which I use daily]
    Last edited by Thommy; 06-10-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: grammar

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thommy For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (06-11-2014),Tablo (06-10-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 11h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Quote Originally Posted by Thommy View Post
    By heavy, I am talking about what the other poster was implying, take a bunch of creatine, do leg reps with 300 lbs and whatnot.

Heavy is relative, its very difficult for 95% of the population to do targeted toning exercises with heavy weights, or you'll end up hurt - especially if inexperienced.

Heres a quick link on the web to toning exercises, most are done with 5-lb - 10 lb dumbells max (i recommended just getting the strap on ankle weights as its simpler and you have no risk of getting calloused, even if that possibility is small)

I wasn't meaning nor intending to sound sexist. Anything lifting 200 lbs is going to look bulky, most women do not want to look bulky or ripped. I wouldn't consider anything under 50 lbs single handed heavy, neither would stores if you went in and asked them for weights.

Toning is about reps, heavy weights can only be repped 1-5 times. That results in mass gain. Back when I was in HS, I wrestled lightweight (125 bracket) and it was important that while gaining strength I did not increase my mass. In college, I boxed and I needed to increase my mass. Both times I worked with strength coaches (who worked with all sorts of people) and in both instances, the workouts [and diets] were drastically different, while working similar body parts. In both cases I was required to maintain as little body fat as possible as well.

So again, sorry if anyone was offended - it wasn't my intent. There have been alot of posts by underweight guys and guys looking to bulk up from looking at this board and I didn't want to just assume with the anonymity of the internet that the poster was female, and if any female wants to go around bench pressing 200 lbs, kudos to her, I know quite a few that can. Anyone interested, you can look at the link above and look at other popular toning workouts (Jillian Michaels has several) - they *do not* utilize heavy weights for their intended purposes, which is general toning. People can achieve results with all sorts of stuff, but going out and failing lifts can discourage a person, working up the plank route or resistance band route in terms of reps is alot easier to stick with. [and resistance bands are not for girls only, I still have a full set of them which I use daily]
    Again, no. Lifting 'heavy' btw means lifting heavy for her, whatever that weight may be. So if all she can lift is 10 pounds right now, then that's cool, but she should keep improving her weight. Unless you are legitimately trying to body build, women just do not gain bulk that way.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    214 times
    Time Online
    31d 2h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    One of the best pics I've found is probably this one:

Not TOO crazy "she-hulk" (hahahah) but just tight abs and thigh muscles. I also have really skinny arms, so I don't know if that'll matter when trying to build up my upper body/arm strength? Would it be helpful to have a picture of me?

@(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

And also, is there any recommended suplements/vitamins I should take religiously to help with this? My diet isn't the absolute best but it's not terrible either. Is there things I can do diet-wise on a budget?

Also, I have pretty strong leg muscles but arms not so much. x)
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links)

Want a spiffy userbar? Request one
    on my thread. ^

I will continue adding free-to-use
    userbars & Pokemon Ryugotchis!

& thank you @dankRUSE for this
    amazing drawing! ;-;

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    220 times
    Time Online
    38d 18h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post

Not TOO crazy "she-hulk" (hahahah) but just tight abs and thigh muscles. I also have really skinny arms, so I don't know if that'll matter when trying to build up my upper body/arm strength? Would it be helpful to have a picture of me?

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

And also, is there any recommended suplements/vitamins I should take religiously to help with this? My diet isn't the absolute best but it's not terrible either. Is there things I can do diet-wise on a budget?

Thommy gave good advice for this kind of body I'd say

Edit: I dont think diet matters TOO much, like if you dont eat the healthiest you can still look like that, just dont eat TOO much!

Source: I look like that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tablo For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (06-11-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    2d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    True, Diet doesn't matter as long as you are hitting basic macro goals, stay within a proper intake range and it doesn't really matter if you eat a slice of pizza and cake. If you are going over your intake range, it doesn't matter if you were eating bags of sugar or eating the healthiest thing ever, you'll still gain weight. For the most part, your body knows what it needs and you'll always start craving those things you aren't getting enough of

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thommy For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (06-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/3
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    17d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post

If you can be satisfied and happy by just being healthy, you're the richest person in the world. Trust me.
    Ok, to keep things in topic, this is my personal opinion:
    The trick to have that kind of toned body is to lose as much fat layer as possible, so that you will look like a person with only skin and well-trained muscle. Cardio-intensive workout will help that significantly. But it's definitely not done daily. I'm not a fitness trainer, I can't prescribe a schedule. Maybe Google can help you, heheheh
    Since you want to cut fat layer down, avoid oily food. I don;t mean cutting calories. Just not oily food. And make sure the meat you consume is lean and mean. heheh.
    There's also a professional trick to it. There are supplements that manipulate the body hormonal system causing the body not to store fat. So, as you train your muscle, you look more ripped or toned as you call it.
    I don't know what supplements available in your country. Maybe seek professional advice from your nearest fitness centre for such thing. But it is always the best not to use any kind of supplements, trust me. Just be healthy. ;p

10. The Following User Says Thank You to damian002 For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (06-12-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    11d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    When you train, you lose carbs first and then protein and lastly fat.
    I suggest you decrease your fat intake as they're the last ones to be metabolized and if you don't workout too hard, fat accumulates.
    Just like what the others say, what composes your diet doesn't actually matter that much but it's important to eat healthy. Plan your diet: carb, protein, and fat with most of the diet consisting of protein to help you build muscle. Make sure you're within your recommended caloric needs per day. Since you're already in your ideal weight, shift your diet to increase more protein. As for me, I get protein from eggs, chicken, fish, beans, tofu, and milk (soy is really good but don't consume it too much because it has lots of estrogen and you might get man-boobs lol). Eat every 3-4 hours with light snacks in between main meals (by light snacks I mean not junk food, eat fruits and vegetables and if you want you can drink protein shakes).

As for your workout, you should be working out at least 30 minutes a day 3 times a week. If you can do more than that, it's okay but make sure you get rest days or fatigue will hit you. I usually do cardio and then I alternate arms+legs and core workout (e.g. Monday: cardio+strength, Tuesday: cardio+core, Wed: cardio+strength, Thursday: Rest, Friday: cardio+core Saturday: cardio Sunday: Rest). Make sure you start with weights that you're comfortable with. I usually work with the motto "No pain, no gain.", meaning if it doesn't hurt you probably need to upgrade your routine. I started with 20lbs dumbells and then after 2 weeks I noticed that my arms and my core weren't sore anymore, I upped to 25lbs.

In closing though, it's still best to consult a fitness trainer because they can evaluate your body better and tell you your routine. Having a personal trainer is very helpful. If you have a friend who works out, join the friend and ask for tips from them.
    Last edited by Ken; 06-12-2014 at 12:37 AM.