Time Online
    6 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 m

An Opinionated Guide to Getting A Neopian Times Trophy by EliteSamurai

An Opinionated Guide to Getting A Neopian Times Trophy
    By GOAT

Introduction

Hello, and thank you first off for taking the time to read this guide. It is only my first one so please be patient with me and/or it. First of all, I highly recommend that you also take into account Trinket’s Neopian Times guide, as it is very well-written and full of interesting tips. Plus, please keep in mind that this is only my opinion, and you are free to reject or accept my ideas, but please don’t harass me if you don’t get that shiny little trophy for your User Lookup. Anyway, enough of this mumbo jumbo, let’s get right down to it…

Starting Point

So, as with all writing, the first step you need to take towards getting that Neopian Times trophy is getting your idea. This is often one of the most challenging parts of writing, but it can be made easy if you know where to look. For instance, one idea I recommend is writing a Game Guide. (This would fall under the “Article” section of the NT, which is very convenient as it has the lowest word count minimum and the highest maximum. This way, you more than likely won’t have to worry about staying within the word limit.) There are over a thousand games available to play in the Game Room, so why not pick your favorite? Or one that you find a special interest in? Or is you pick a special day, you can always try writing about a Neopian species, some famous Neopets of that species, their advantages, and little known facts about them. Anyway, once you find your starting point, you have won half the battle. Congratulations!

Now that you have your idea, it is time to think about your details. Unless you are a Neopian expert, research will be required to put into this. In a Game Guide, some research could include your personal difficulty rating and the difficulty rating that others might agree on, the NP Ratio, cheats/codes available in the guide, requirements for an avatar, or your own helpful tips that assist you in getting a high score. For a Pet Day, try talking about some special benefits they get on their special day, or a short history of your pet, or Battledome advantages, or anything relevant. You could also do an interview with a famous Neopet of that species. The sky is the limit as far as possibilities go. As for creative writing, well that is a bit trickier. Your story really needs to grab a reader’s attention and keep them hooked. Surprise plot twists are always good to keep them reading, but too many will just make them confused, so keep a healthy balance. I am not artistic, so I don’t even attempt comics. Sorry, all you artists!

Writing Tips & Tricks

1) AVOID LINKING VERBS AS BEST AS YOU CAN! This is very relevant, as writers can fall into a habit of linking-verb overuse. Here is an example of that: “As Joe was climbing up the ladder, he was also thinking to himself, ‘He is plagiarizing my program, I have not even told anybody about it!’ ” If you read that sentence out loud, you can hear how monotonous it gets. Try rewriting some sentences that make your story too heavy with linking verbs. It is okay if you don’t eliminate all of them, just use them in moderation. By the way, some common linking verbs are: is, are, was, were, has, have, had, be, and am.
    2) Grammar is just as important as spelling. You always want to sound like an educated writer, so first of all make sure everything is spelled right. And don’t just use Spell-Check, as words can be spelled right but their usage could be wrong. Read your story out loud to yourself to make sure it sounds right and grammatically correct.
    3) Be original. I know that it isn’t easy to write something totally different when the NT is updated so often, but as long as it is fresh and well-written, your chances of getting a trophy will increase.
    4) If possible, adopt a tone. The tone of a writing can help a reader really connect with what they are reading. For example, a guide about strategic battle could adopt the tone of a military general. Or a guide about morphing potions versus transmogrification potions could adopt the tone of Kauvara.
    5) Don’t be afraid to ask others for help. Their ideas can be helpful and could assist you in your writing.

Conclusion

Well, I have shared my ideas and opinions with you. If this assisted you or helped clear up some writing issues you had in your head, I am glad I could help. If you didn’t like this guide…well it’s only a few minutes of your life gone. If you have any comments about how to improve this guide, or tips for writing guides in the future, please feel free to post. Good luck, and I sincerely hope that you receive this one day:
    Last edited by GOAT; 08-13-2012 at 04:58 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GOAT For This Useful Post:

Sqwahba (02-01-2012),zakeryp (02-01-2012)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Love how you say opinionated :3! gj.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 10 h 13 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Great guide
    I have actually been considering trying for this one, so it's awesome timing. ;D

Under your bed O_O
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Time Online
    6 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 m
    Well it has to be opinionated otherwise I would get reported or something if someone didn't get the trophy and well I am glad I could help