Thread: clraik Etiquette Question: When buying a pet, is it acceptable to be name picky? (+other questions)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    30d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

clraik Etiquette Question: When buying a pet, is it acceptable to be name picky? (+other questions)

Sorry for all these words! Also, throwing this into SPAM since I'm not sure where it goes. Better safe than sorry.

Hi! I'm relatively new here, I just got my first illegit shell so I can poke around, make noob mistakes, etc. My end goal, however, is to have a nice main with at least one high-tier UC pet.

1. This may not happen soon, but when I do want to buy this pet, will I be allowed to ask around to different sellers and choose the particular UC (the name) that I want? Or is this rude? I know sellers like to keep their UC stock secret for security reasons, so is it inconsiderate of me to want to browse? Even as a serious customer?

Problem is, I'm one of those petpage-maker story-writer art-do-er people, so I like pets with names that "click" with me and are pleasant for me to use. Basically, if I'm shelling out $300+ for this pet, I want to like it-- but I also don't want to be rude to the seller(s).

*Assume, in all cases, that the seller is approached with basic "please"s and "thank you"s and is informed beforehand that the buyer is name-hunting with the intention to buy.

2. Is it rude to contact multiple sellers about the same basic purchase, knowing full-well I'll only buy from one of them?

3. Is it rude to ask to see the names of a seller's pets (or accounts, whatever), only to (politely) back out upon not liking any?

4. Finally, while searching for answers to these questions, I saw someone post that they'd always assumed the top-tier UCs for sale were really all the same pets, just being adverted by different reputable sellers. Is this true? Or do all "All UCs for sale" sellers have different pets, period?

Thank you for your time, everyone! Hopefully this isn't totally obvious or answered somewhere.
    Normally, in a situation like this, I'd just lurk and see what others do-- but since all transactions are private, that's not really an option, and this isn't the sort of thing I'd like to "learn by doing." Basically I'm trying to not be "that guy." I did search before posting.
    Or maybe I'm over thinking this, and name-window-shopping is totally fine, if not even expected? Or maybe the tolerance for such things depends on the seller? Do I have more or less leniency on being picky because I want a big-ticket UC? (More because I'm paying a lot and should be happy, Less because these are rare pets and there are only so many available, suck it up and pick one.) What do you think? Any sellers wanna contribute? Talk to me, clraik! (Please! )

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    If you're not trusted, it's basically on the seller if they want to tell you the name or not. Generally it ain't gonna happen.

It's a free market, contact as many sellers as you want, get the best bang for your buck imo.

Everyone has their own stock.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

CadmiumYellow (03-17-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    As Wrath said, a lot of sellers wont give out names, especially on high end pets unless you are a very trusted member.

Also, the two big UC sellers are Kylae and I_royalty_I - everybody else either works with them, or has their own personal, smaller stock.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

CadmiumYellow (03-17-2014),I_royalty_I (03-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    30d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    @(you need an account to see links) @(you need an account to see links) (awesome usernames)
    Thanks for the responses! I understand not trusting newbies, frankly I'd be skeptical as well. I hope to gain some rep/good itrader feedback by this point, but I'm curious: is being a clraik VIP an adequate substitute for being a well-trusted buyer? (In general-- I'm not trying to sound as if I want an easy in, I'm genuinely curious how much weight being VIP has here.)
    So just for the sake of clarification: Do people tend to all have the same top-tier UCs (If they all work for the aforementioned users, unless they have their own personal stock?)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Spending $5 doesn't automatically make you trusted imo. Your best bet is to find I_royalty_I, I did hear his pets have spectacular names.

You can say what kind of a pet you'd like, eg starting with what letter and what it rhymes with of reminds you of, but I honestly doubt any seller will give you 5 UC RB acaras for you to pick the best named.

Whether or not someone gets offended when you browse and not buy depends on the seller, really. They will most likely disclose just enough so that they don't lose anything if you back out.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goodieboy For This Useful Post:

CadmiumYellow (03-18-2014),I_royalty_I (03-18-2014),simmie (03-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    30d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Thanks, goodieboy! I have heard great things about I_royalty_I as well. Good advice, though it may be difficult for me to come up with some sort of naming criteria for what I want, since I don't really know. I generally like pet names for... well, the name. You're correct in assuming that the, "I have these names, choose one" situation is what I would hope for, though, again, I totally understand why that's generally not something that sellers do. Thanks for all the information!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    970 times
    Time Online
    279d 7h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 35m
    I_royalty_I and I have similar named pets, just saying

I personally only give out full names to trusted members. I will give out first letters, and if they're masculine or feminine. I will also take the buyer's name preferences in hand, like say they like the name Ezabelle or Celsia and find names closest to those that I own.

As for everyone having their own stock, there's only a finite amount of UCs as they aren't able to be created. Eventually we're all just pulling from the same pool anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kylae For This Useful Post:

CadmiumYellow (03-23-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    It really depends. I usually give people a few choices when they are looking to buy UC's. I usually wait and see what kind of vibe somebody gives off. There have been some people that come to me asking for a name, and they want to see every name of 'this pet' or 'that pet', or they want to know all my rw/rn uc's, or all the names of my high end pets. Things like that set off a red flag, and obviously I'd never grant those requests. But if somebody comes to me wanting a certain color/species starting with a certain letter, I could show you a few names matching that criteria.

As for the VIP. Like people have previously stated, having VIP doesn't make me automatically trust somebody. I see VIP as just a sort of bonus to your account to help you access certain things; bigger inbox, programs, vip section. It also shows dedication to the site, but it doesn't warrant trust just having the VIP bar.

Also, it's not rude to contact multiple people, plenty of people do that all the time.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

CadmiumYellow (03-23-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    30d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Whoa, sorry, you two-- I would've sworn I responded to this ages ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Kylae View Post
    I_royalty_I and I have similar named pets, just saying

I personally only give out full names to trusted members. I will give out first letters, and if they're masculine or feminine. I will also take the buyer's name preferences in hand, like say they like the name Ezabelle or Celsia and find names closest to those that I own.

As for everyone having their own stock, there's only a finite amount of UCs as they aren't able to be created. Eventually we're all just pulling from the same pool anyway.
    Sounds smart to me, I can understand not giving the full name away. I just have a big fear of buying a pet without knowing the full name, then ending up not liking it because those *few letters* I didn't know ruin the sound or something. Perhaps that's just me! At any rate, the process you described makes total sense to me, thank you for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    It really depends. I usually give people a few choices when they are looking to buy UC's. I usually wait and see what kind of vibe somebody gives off. There have been some people that come to me asking for a name, and they want to see every name of 'this pet' or 'that pet', or they want to know all my rw/rn uc's, or all the names of my high end pets. Things like that set off a red flag, and obviously I'd never grant those requests. But if somebody comes to me wanting a certain color/species starting with a certain letter, I could show you a few names matching that criteria.

As for the VIP. Like people have previously stated, having VIP doesn't make me automatically trust somebody. I see VIP as just a sort of bonus to your account to help you access certain things; bigger inbox, programs, vip section. It also shows dedication to the site, but it doesn't warrant trust just having the VIP bar.

Also, it's not rude to contact multiple people, plenty of people do that all the time.
    Understood! Ouch, that first situation does, indeed, sound like the buyer is being shady. I definitely hope to not give off that sort of vibe. Thank you for all your answers, this helps me a lot! Hopefully you (or one of the other big sellers) will be hearing from me in the future!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CadmiumYellow For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (03-22-2014)