Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm.... How should I go about starting to learn programming/coding?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m

Hmmm.... How should I go about starting to learn programming/coding?

I've been kind of interested in learning how to program for a while now, but I think I want to take the initiative now and start learning some basics. Any ideas on where the best place to start is? All I know to date is some very, VERY basic html (and by that I mean like <b>I want to learn to code</b>) and a little bit past that. Not quite sure what I aim to achieve with this yet maybe eventually learn to make some decent websites for my soon to be business (not programming related something else) and eventually be able to make some basic programs for things that would help me be more lazy so I don't have to do them myself later on lol. Just want some people's opinions on what would be the best route for me cause I know it can take quite a while to learn a sufficient amount of information for certain programs but I'm willing to put the work in. Thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/6
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    17d 9h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

learningtoneopet1 (03-17-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 23h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    No clue how to help you with programming but for coding I find the best way to learn is playing around with an existing code changing things and seeing what happens :3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slytherin For This Useful Post:

learningtoneopet1 (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh21227 View Post
    Thanks Downloaded VB .net and am going through a pretty extensive tutorial. Doesn't seem too difficult, so I'll keep you guys updated on my progress

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Just posting as an update: I've completed a few lessons I guess you could call them, and now know the basics of If And statements, how to set up variables, and transfer variables from say a textbox to a label and vice versa. Pretty cool how such basic knowledge can communicate with a computer so easily :o I'm getting into some harder stuff, but this is pretty fun so far XD (Been playing around with vb.net for a couple hours a day).

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I've always heard nice things about code academy :o And Python's a great language for starters, it's very versatile, I was able to code a pretty basic video game on Python among other things (and I'm really not good at coding)
    BYOB/Scratch is good for like serious beginners, it really eases you into the right ways to think about your codes

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    5d 12h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I've heard that Python is a good language to start with. The most important thing (in my opinion), is to make sure that you're understanding the overall logic of coding, rather than getting caught up on the syntax and such.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tato For This Useful Post:

Zachafer (04-04-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/2
    Mentioned
    91 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links) is great for self paced tutorials. There are 6 languages on there that you can get started with. I'd recommend python for a beginner. But if you're already comfortable with C++, or whatever vb uses, then stick with that. There are tons of tutorials online. You could sign up for free online courses on (you need an account to see links) or (you need an account to see links) too.

Once you have a decent grasp of one language, you can easily fool around with other languages and get the hang of it. I knew 0 python before I started playing around with habibot code. Fast forward a few days, and I have my own bot lol. I'm also currently enrolled in a python course on Coursera just to give myself a confidence boost.
    Last edited by txtsd; 04-04-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Pronouns
    She/Her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    39/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    10d 9h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    No clue how to help you with programming but for coding I find the best way to learn is playing around with an existing code changing things and seeing what happens :3
    This is how I learned somewhat how to code HTML and stuff. The best thing to do is find a very simple type of code and manipulate it around. Then you'll be able to learn some of the super basics and be able to get a better grasp on some of the things that you would think are a bit more challenging.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyyx View Post
    This is how I learned somewhat how to code HTML and stuff. The best thing to do is find a very simple type of code and manipulate it around. Then you'll be able to learn some of the super basics and be able to get a better grasp on some of the things that you would think are a bit more challenging.

I learned to code the same way also when I was a kid , I would take tools made for ebay would watch your items for e.g and edit them to work on neopets (it was same concept just slightly altered strings). These where some of the first ever neo related tools.. As mentioned by someone earlier, once you know one language others are extremely easy to pick up on.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkByte For This Useful Post:

Swablu (04-05-2014)