Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

literature review

me again with my anthropology class smh
    if anyone has experience writing a literature review, could someone explain it to me and help me write one? (needs to be one paragraph)

like yes, I have google too, but it's giving me tl;dr answers and i'm already frustrated, ty.

i bet i spelled literature wrong too gosh
    and yes i will +rep i bet thats what everyone was here for lel

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    48d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Ok so it definitely depends on what your topic is/in what context you are writing a literature review. Like is this the beginning of a longer research paper?

But basically, you want to summarize the research that has occurred on your topic already. Go to jstor or google scholar or other scholarly databases and search for articles that discuss your topic. Form a general idea of what the current beliefs are regarding your topic. For instance, if you were going to conduct a study on the effects of recess time in regards to obesity, you would want to look up any research that has to do with physical activity during recess time. Maybe a couple studies found that students tended to have the most physical activity during recess between the ages of 6-10 and then it declined. Maybe a study found that students mostly engage in physical activity outside of the school. Maybe a study found that physical activity increases substantially when playgrounds have a turf or grassy area to play games. You would compile all this information into a paragraph or two and then cite the studies in parentheticals. If multiple studies come to the same conclusion, you mention both those studies. For instance:

"Recent research has found that recess time is most effective in promoting physical activity during the ages of six to ten; after age ten, physical activity diminishes substantially, possibly due to the transition from elementary school to middle school or the tendency of older children to spend time talking, rather than playing games (Koehler 2007; Barns & Thomas 1999). Studies have also found that playgrounds that offer a large green area increase physical activity in students by an average of 32% (Carson 2004.) etc etc"

(Definitely made all that up, but do you get the idea? Of course, include a full bibliography at the bottom. If you want me to look over your lit review when you're done let me know. And feel free to shoot me any questions.)

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

oh also at the end include a sentence or two summarizing the main points you've found & doing a little analysis. By analysis, I mean tell the reader what these studies are missing. Where does more research need to be done?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naomi For This Useful Post:

Cub (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    @(you need an account to see links)

oh god i was literally about to close this
    like i feel so bad for MAKING YOU WRITE ALL THAT LIKE SOB

but I was gonna further explain VIA PM. /paranoid
    Last edited by simmie; 03-01-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    4d 17h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    MA in History here with plenty of experience TAing in similar fields. Can definitely help, proofread and analyze. PM me with the details of your assignment and I will take a look!