18/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

drunk in love - beyonce

Ok so I know it's sorta old news that about her new album and stuff, and overall I liked it. But in one of my classes (Black Feminist Theory) in the first day we talked about how problematic her song "Drunk in Love" is when Jay-Z raps "I'm Ike Turner, turn up, eat the cake Annie Mae, I said eat the cake Annie Mae." Which is basically quoting from Tina Turner's biopic quoting a scene of domestic violence when basically Ike forces Tina(Annie Mae was her real name) to eat the cake by shoving it in her face, and assaulting an employee that was trying to help her.

thoughts?????

(you need an account to see links)

this is basically a piece sort of explaining what I was talking about

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinji For This Useful Post:

fairydust201 (02-25-2014),Pabla (02-25-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1096/0
    Mentioned
    213 times
    Time Online
    59d 13h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    20m
    some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
    I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?

Quote Originally Posted by fairydust201 View Post
    some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.
    Also, I feel like this had to be posted
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Air (02-25-2014),fairydust201 (02-25-2014),Shinji (02-25-2014)

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
    I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?

Also, I feel like this had to be posted
    I completely agree with you. For all we know it's a joke between both of them. Other feminist classes I've been in said similar things when Blurred Lines came out, but in reality it was a song he wrote for his wife, like it's not about rape. But i'm with you in not reading too much into things, because what do we really know for a fact, until they explain what they're talking about :p

and omg that video

i think this deserves some attention too LOL

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinji For This Useful Post:

Cub (03-12-2014),I_royalty_I (02-25-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    7d 1h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I don't get why Beyonc� would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyonc� but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk

That awkward when you already said "moment" in your head before you read it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (02-25-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    19h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    that thing in drunk in love sounds pretty weird/bad to me :/

also, blurred lines is definitely awful, and it doesnt matter what he intended when he wrote that shit because it puts toxic ideas in peoples minds about consent.
    music does not exist in a vacuum, you cant really separate it from social issues.

edit: i was reading the article after i posted this and this paragraph here-

"Beyonce: when you smile affectionately and sing along with that lyric, you are propagating a cycle of humiliation, of rape, of violence that is still horrifically real for women all over the world. The fact that Tina Turner broke the cycle by no means makes it acceptable for you to try to make her situation a sexy one."

- is kind of bugging me. because yes that is all true, but really now, beyonce is way better with this stuff than a lot of other artists, and yet they dont get this shit thrown at them.
    Last edited by nebulas; 02-25-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Freja View Post
    I don't get why Beyonc� would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyonc� but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk
    From what I understand, the reason why some Feminists are upset is because she's claimed a feminist identity within her album and in public spaces, but contradicts that identity in ways like the Ike Turner line.
    At least that's what we discussed in lecture :p and it made sense to me

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    69d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetri View Post
    You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled
    Freestyle in the moment or not, the song was clearly edited and they all heard it multiple times.

As much as I want to believe that he freestyled it, the extensive editing the song probably had regardless, purely because it's a big name artist and big name label, wouldn't excuse it
    I mean hey for all we know it's an inside joke about their kinky sex life

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    44 times
    Time Online
    9d 5h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    The thing is though, as offensive as it may be to some people; he's fucking Jay-Z.

He can say whatever he wants.

He just made spousal abuse and rape cool.

Skype; live:th3_l3vy