Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: drunk in love - beyonce

  1. #1


    Shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 109 Times in 51 Posts


    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Rep Power
    4

    drunk in love - beyonce

    Ok so I know it's sorta old news that about her new album and stuff, and overall I liked it. But in one of my classes (Black Feminist Theory) in the first day we talked about how problematic her song "Drunk in Love" is when Jay-Z raps "I'm Ike Turner, turn up, eat the cake Annie Mae, I said eat the cake Annie Mae." Which is basically quoting from Tina Turner's biopic quoting a scene of domestic violence when basically Ike forces Tina(Annie Mae was her real name) to eat the cake by shoving it in her face, and assaulting an employee that was trying to help her.


    thoughts?????


    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/elli...b_4676557.html


    this is basically a piece sort of explaining what I was talking about

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinji For This Useful Post:

    fairydust201 (02-25-2014),Pabla (02-25-2014)

  3. #2
    Banned


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Posts
    1,305
    Thanks
    1,293
    Thanked 302 Times in 209 Posts


    Downloads
    1096
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Time Online
    59 d 13 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    49 m
    Rep Power
    0
    some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.

  4. #3
    Andrew

    I_royalty_I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Location
    Behind you.
    Age
    98
    Posts
    5,817
    Thanks
    5,001
    Thanked 7,592 Times in 2,922 Posts


    Downloads
    29
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1763 Post(s)
    Time Online
    326 d 22 h 8 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 h 30 m
    Rep Power
    15
    Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
    I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?


    Quote Originally Posted by fairydust201 View Post
    some more explaining about the song . if you didn't no " surfboard " is a sex position as well in case if any body was wondering why she say's that in the song.
    Also, I feel like this had to be posted

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

    Air (02-25-2014),fairydust201 (02-25-2014),Shinji (02-25-2014)

  6. #4


    Shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 109 Times in 51 Posts


    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Personally, I think that songs are just songs and I don't usually like to read too much further into them. I can empathize with the topic, but I listen to music to listen to music. If I wanted to worry about current issues, I'd read up on the news and stuff like that.
    I haven't really seen that particular biopic that was referenced, but I can get an idea of where the concern lies from the article you linked to. It will be interesting to see what the people who kept complaining about the Blurred Lines song will think about Beyonces Drunk in Love... I see them as along similar lines in a way?




    Also, I feel like this had to be posted
    I completely agree with you. For all we know it's a joke between both of them. Other feminist classes I've been in said similar things when Blurred Lines came out, but in reality it was a song he wrote for his wife, like it's not about rape. But i'm with you in not reading too much into things, because what do we really know for a fact, until they explain what they're talking about :p

    and omg that video

    i think this deserves some attention too LOL

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shinji For This Useful Post:

    Cub (03-12-2014),I_royalty_I (02-25-2014)

  8. #5
    Freja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    26
    Posts
    168
    Thanks
    112
    Thanked 118 Times in 57 Posts


    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Time Online
    7 d 1 h 36 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    Rep Power
    5
    I don't get why Beyoncé would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyoncé but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freja For This Useful Post:

    I_royalty_I (02-25-2014)

  10. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Time Online
    19 h 18 m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Rep Power
    4
    that thing in drunk in love sounds pretty weird/bad to me :/

    also, blurred lines is definitely awful, and it doesnt matter what he intended when he wrote that shit because it puts toxic ideas in peoples minds about consent.
    music does not exist in a vacuum, you cant really separate it from social issues.

    edit: i was reading the article after i posted this and this paragraph here-

    "Beyonce: when you smile affectionately and sing along with that lyric, you are propagating a cycle of humiliation, of rape, of violence that is still horrifically real for women all over the world. The fact that Tina Turner broke the cycle by no means makes it acceptable for you to try to make her situation a sexy one."

    - is kind of bugging me. because yes that is all true, but really now, beyonce is way better with this stuff than a lot of other artists, and yet they dont get this shit thrown at them.
    Last edited by nebulas; 02-25-2014 at 07:27 AM.

  11. #7


    Shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 109 Times in 51 Posts


    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Freja View Post
    I don't get why Beyoncé would associate herself with something like that, and in some sense I think it's wrong. On the other hand I also agree that a song is a song, and one of my fave musicians ever is Eminem I know a lot of people are offended by his lyrics but he doesn't give af. I don't really see why I'd feel any different with Beyoncé but meh. I could see how it'd be offensive to some but not because of color. Idk
    From what I understand, the reason why some Feminists are upset is because she's claimed a feminist identity within her album and in public spaces, but contradicts that identity in ways like the Ike Turner line.
    At least that's what we discussed in lecture :p and it made sense to me

  12. #8

    Demetri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Posts
    855
    Thanks
    506
    Thanked 996 Times in 480 Posts


    Downloads
    7
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Time Online
    61 d 39 m
    Avg. Time Online
    50 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: HeartbreakJay PSN ID: Clyrkos
    You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled

  13. #9


    Shinji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 109 Times in 51 Posts


    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 51 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetri View Post
    You'll have a bad time reading into a lot of lyrics. Especially a verse that was freestyled
    Freestyle in the moment or not, the song was clearly edited and they all heard it multiple times.

    As much as I want to believe that he freestyled it, the extensive editing the song probably had regardless, purely because it's a big name artist and big name label, wouldn't excuse it
    I mean hey for all we know it's an inside joke about their kinky sex life

  14. #10
    Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    294
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 171 Times in 72 Posts


    Downloads
    21
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Time Online
    9 d 1 h 53 m
    Avg. Time Online
    7 m
    Rep Power
    6
    The thing is though, as offensive as it may be to some people; he's fucking Jay-Z.

    He can say whatever he wants.


    He just made spousal abuse and rape cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •