Thread: Anyone able to help me interpret these speed test results?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m

Anyone able to help me interpret these speed test results?

(you need an account to see links)

I've noticed my internet running slower than usual since I've "upgraded" a few months back. Not quite sure if this is going to be a computer issue or the internet provider's problem... How is my connection speed and stuff based on that image above? I'm playing occasional games, but mainly just browsing web pages...

Edit: And I just realized that it says it's slower than 73% of people... No idea why this is running so slow :/

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    60/2
    Mentioned
    91 times
    Time Online
    31d 8h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    ISPs use bits, kilobits, megabits to make you think you're getting something fast. If you want to compare it to a unit you are already familiar with like the bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes, of file sizes, simply divide the bits by 8.

So:
    Your download speed is 1.04 MB/s
    Your upload speed is 0.0875 MB/s = 89.6 KB/s (Not bad, but low per my standards)
    Ping is the time in milliseconds that data takes to travel to/from your pc to the server you're pinging.
    In an ideal world, we'd have a ping of 0ms to all servers. But pings of <5ms are only possible on local networks, and on the Internet anything up to 90ms is fine. Above that is bad for games that require relatively instant reactions or operations, like FPSs or MOBAs. And pings above 120ms for loading websites will bother you if you're critical of network speeds and the general snappiness of loading websites.

That said, if you've upgraded from DSL to cable, that's a whole different problem. Cable connections share nodes locally, so if someone in your neighborhood is subscribed to the same ISP as you, and said person is capping his bandwidth, you'd experience reduced speeds because the local node is flooded with said person's data.
    Last edited by txtsd; 03-30-2014 at 01:10 PM.