Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    The problem is how powerful and influential the big two are; they'll never back someone who isn't loyal to their 'grand schemes', and no little man can win office without them.

Once in, the parties will drive the president to their wishes, pretty much every one in the last few decades have been chained to the 'crowd', unable to fully act 'himself'.

You could say the only way to re-form for 'freedom' would be revolution, but from what was posted already, it looks like plans are already in place to quash any attempt made.
    That's why independent candidates never win.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemissive View Post
    Well, I think that we both have drastically differing opinions on this topic, but here's my two cents:

It's not about the US being on top of their game. What does that even mean? Does that mean you don't mind that all of your emails, instant messages, posts on this forum, voice chat, file transfers, photos, stored data, cell phone records, etc. etc. are logged onto PRISM's databases and stored forever? If you have nothing to hide, that's obviously bullshit. Privacy invasion of this magnitude is honestly terrifying. Not to mention, how safe do you really feel knowing that one superpower has this much data on the citizens of the world? Could you imagine what the world would be like if a dictator (think Hitler) with this sort of information came into power?

It's not just that the surveillance itself is a problem - it's inadequate targeting and oversight. The NSA wouldn't be so bad if they were run by a program which also respects our civil rights. Certainly, terrorism is no laughing matter, but is it really worth casting away our liberties and freedoms over (like he said in the video) a very existential fear? Terrorism is a threat, but it is not worth cowering in fear and blindly handing over all of our rights and freedoms as human beings. It's not like the US doesn't have a history of abusing its surveillance ((you need an account to see links)).

As for preventative crime stopping... Ever see minority report?
    I think we do have different opinions, but I can still respect yours. I think it's great to see things from another view.
    I don't think the Minority Report is a good thing to base preventative crime stopping on!
    That's pretty much a utopian society where everything is controlled, they have even less liberties than we do now.

In all honesty, I think that everyone should operate under the assumption that anything they post, send, or otherwise say can be seen and recorded to some extent. I know the phone companies can see text messages, they can hear phone calls if they really wanted. They can determine where any phone is at anytime and essentially take it over - in a sense. Posts on this forums.. yeah, I don't expect them to be private either. Most of the posts are out there in the open, so there's no going back on those. But even so, I'm sure our host can see things that go on here. After all, we are on their server space. Regardless of hoow safe they may say we are, there's no doubt in my mind that they can see things we might not think they could. So it's not that I don't have anything to hide, I like my privacy, it's just that I know I'm not a target as I don't do anything to draw attention. If you don't do anything wrong, I don't think there is any need to fear. It's not like they really care about me telling somebody what I had for dinner, or about my weekends, etc etc. People don't understand the hoops that the NSA has to jump through in order to pull certain information. YES, they may have information at their fingertips, but they can't just be like... oh hey let me bring up my ex girlfriends phone and see what she's doing. No, that's not how it works. There are certain policies and procedures that you have to follow in order to access certain things.

So in that regards, I believe the NSA does respect our civil rights, just as much as any other company out there like google/microsoft/facebook/etc. In that guys video he says that those companies denied giving access to NSA, yet there have been things coming to light that find those comments to be false. I don't really believe any company when they say they don't access, use or sell certain information. But being able to access this information when it's needed is a great tool when used appropriately. I don't live in fear of the government looking over anything I do, there are much bigger problems out there that they are dealing with. If anything, it puts my mind at ease from how much they have prevented. Some of the things that have been declassified are amazing. The public isn't even aware of anything good the NSA and other agencies like it do, they are only made aware of the negatives chewed up and spit out by the media. These are normal citizens doing their best to help the country. When I bring things like this up around family and friends they get SO mad. They don't get mad at people because they think it's cruel. They get mad because they are really doing their best to help out and they still receive all this bad press brought about by a traitor like Snowden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    The problem is how powerful and influential the big two are; they'll never back someone who isn't loyal to their 'grand schemes', and no little man can win office without them.

Once in, the parties will drive the president to their wishes, pretty much every one in the last few decades have been chained to the 'crowd', unable to fully act 'himself'.

You could say the only way to re-form for 'freedom' would be revolution, but from what was posted already, it looks like plans are already in place to quash any attempt made.
    Youre definitely right there! It's nearly impossible to win unless youre backed by the democrats or republicans. But the main reason for that is because they are the big two, they have the most money to toss around to promote their candidate. But I think at some point, there will come a time when our generation will stand up (I don't consider the current leaders our generation!) and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Our generation is going to inherit the shittiest world of any generation that has gone before, at least in my opinion. But the youth of the country are pretty massive in numbers, enough to influence an election one way or another. I'm sure if somebody came along with the right morals, attitude and background, people could rally behind them. I'm sure even the older folks might snap out of it and want something new and fresh. It is difficult though.. but in a perfect world. *sigh*
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Mod (02-10-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    41m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I almost got arrested cause I took one exit to soon for work and NSA was all up in my business when I made a Uturn

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    I almost got arrested cause I took one exit to soon for work and NSA was all up in my business when I made a Uturn
    That just means the guards at the gate were doing their job. They take that kinda stuff seriously.
    I know people have gone crazy there and just drove as fast as they could up to the gate. They once had a massive truck.. maybe a dump truck.. coming flying up to the gate, they had to shoot the tires to get it to stop. Guy was arrested.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I don't know much about or have a positive or negative opinion on the NSA. I will say however, if this "Marshall Law" bullshit ever goes into effect, I will be loading up on AR-15 ammo and barracading myself in my apartment. Government or not, you come into my home unannounced, you will be shot.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

Colby (02-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Personally, I always assumed that the NSA was doing that kind of stuff so it didn't feel like a huge revelation when it came out that they were. I don't know, I guess I always assumed it was pretty obvious that they'd be monitoring US citizens. But it doesn't particularly bother me because I don't have anything to hide.

-shrug-

GOING BACK THOUGH. The Sandy-Hook conspiracy theories are fucking bullshit and to suggest that ANY modern day American politician would willingly kill children to push their agenda is fucking crazy as balls. Pretty much goddamn NOTHING has changed in gun control policy since then. Which is sad and embarrassing.

That whole thing makes me want to scream. Loudly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (02-14-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    3d 16h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I've always been confused why people think government agencies are these big overlords who are hell bent on making people's lives worse. Sure there is corruption, but there's corruption in pretty much everything now a days. Not saying it as an excuse, but usually there aren't things being done that will directly impact your life unless you are doing illegal things. We like to claim we have certain inalienable rights but that doesn't mean we are above the law. Usually people who claim that their rights are in jeopardy blah blah are doing something shady themselves and don't want people finding out.

If anything, I have a healthy distrust for what media reports. Their job isn't to keep you informed. They don't get paid on people's political efficacy. They get paid based on how many people watch their program through mostly advertisements. They will bend and stretch the truth as much as they can to make it an excitable story. (See yellow journalism if you want a more detailed explanation). They have motive to lie to you, more than pretty much anyone else out there. Politicians and authority figures may try to cover up their asses but they have no incentive to cause you any distress, in fact, they want you as happy as humanly possible because their job security is in part based on the administration in power which is elected through a vote.

Despite that, I'm curious specifically what NSA scandal you are talking about as a whole. Snowden's leaked documents showed that the NSA went above and beyond in their scope of surveillance, I'll admit, however nothing else seems to be that prevalent right now. Rand Paul is just trying to find a way to bash someone, I mean politics today has more political scapegoating than 1930s Nazi Germany. On both sides of the isle it happens, its not a democratic or republican issue specifically. So give me a little feedback as to what you guys think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clark For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (02-14-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    21h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I agree, Katie. Government will use and take advantage of tragedies to push their agendas but causing the tragedies in the first place is something I don't buy at all. It simply wouldn't be worth the damage it would do if the plan was ever leaked.
    Just my two cents.
    As far as the NSA topic is concerned, I have no idea. But I always assumed they would be monitoring their citizens and probably other countries, the internet is a great vessel for spying after all.
    Last edited by flow; 02-15-2014 at 04:14 AM.