DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    84 times
    Time Online
    14d 15h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    You know, I'm all about people getting what they deserve. And I got my bachelors in criminal justice. And I can't say I agree with the death penalty. Not because I'm super moral or anything like that, but because the use of it is pointless in my opinion. One, the person dies and doesn't have to suffer, two death row cows tax payers almost 75% more than regular jail. Three, they claim the death penalty exists as a deterrent, however it's been proven on several occasions that deterrents do nothing to cut down crime. And the most important reason is that the justice system is hypocrites for it. You can't kill people. So if you kill people... We kill you. 0.o

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambient For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-30-2014),I_royalty_I (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Exactly, @(you need an account to see links).
    I listen to my dad call and every week, he has high hopes for when he gets out, and thinks he's going to have a great life. I have to listen to him tell me how horrible it is in there, every week how he almost got killed, etc etc.
    In his case, he's been in so long that things out here have changed. Gas prices were literally dirt cheap when he was out here, and he still couldn't manage to survive back then.

But he doesn't realize he's not going to have a place to stay when he gets out, no money, not able to get a job due to being listed as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Shit, it's hard enough for a normal person to get a job! Much less someone with a record. And being in prison for so long has backed up the child support and he's going to go right back to jail for that. Being in a secluded box really cuts off and changes your perception of the world.

But it's just made me realize how being in prison doesn't prepare anybody for being out in the real world. Mentally, they're either really bitter and they're going to come out swinging or really hopefully and come out disappointed as ever. And most of them end up going right back in because they're not mentally prepared for anything.

I just sigh.
    'Merica needs to get their shit together.
    Land of the free is land of the most imprisoned in the world.
    Last edited by Umbreon; 01-30-2014 at 05:18 PM.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Umbreon For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-30-2014),Colby (01-30-2014),I_royalty_I (01-30-2014),Miri (01-30-2014),Mod (01-30-2014),Raj (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    20 times
    Time Online
    7d 23h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I'm not one for the death penalty simply because I think death is an easy way out, but I really disagree that everyone can change, murderers don't get rehabilitated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    looking in from a distant view i can see this has split the forum down the middle. think i`d side with those against, those that commit horrific crimes should have to live with it for the rest of their natural lives. unfortunately for some they feel no remorse. they dont change and for the familys of the victims seeing them behind bars forever brings no comfort.

we had a soldier hacked to death in the street last year by 2 fundamentalists and as we dont have the death penalty they will go to jail for a long time, but again in this country a long time may only be fifteen years, not life as it should be.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 11h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    I disagree with the death penalty. I feel it's hypocritical: what lesson are we teaching to society? Taking a life is wrong. Therefor, we will punish you by taking your life in return. I don't think it sends the right message. And I agree with Andrew on the point that solitary confinement with a life sentence would be far, far worse and the more justifiable option.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Allegra For This Useful Post:

Ambient (01-31-2014)

Pronouns
    He/Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    207/0
    Mentioned
    195 times
    Time Online
    49d 16h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Its a really touchy subject this is, it all comes down to your own opinion and mind set on life, if you feel someone should have their life taken from them if they have killed someone then fair enough that is your opinion and shouldn't be judged for it. No one is right or wrong here, but my opinion is exactly what @(you need an account to see links) said, i don't believe taking someone's life is the right option, prisons are there for a reason, and solitary confinement is the worst punishment you can have, much worse than death, i'm sure 99% of people would rather be dead than live in a dark room with nothing for the rest of there life.

But may ask, maybe you know Andrew? Umm do people actually get put in solitary confinement for life? Like has this been a punishment before, and if so what for? I might be asking a stupid question i don't know, but i am genuinely curious as my knowledge isn't the best on this subject

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Personally, and I haven't read this whole thread, but if we have hard solid proof of such a crime such as the Boston marathon bombings then I'd rather them be executed than to be placed in a prison for the rest of their lives with free health care and meals paid by American citizen tax dollars.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colby For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (01-30-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by rainedakota View Post
    I'd rather them be executed than to be placed in a prison for the rest of their lives with free health care and meals paid by American citizen tax dollars.
    It actually costs an additional $90,000 a year PER INMATE to maintain death row compared to those in life inprisonment. Source: (you need an account to see links)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nitro For This Useful Post:

Ambient (01-31-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 21h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro View Post
    It actually costs an additional $90,000 a year PER INMATE to maintain death row compared to those in life inprisonment. Source: (you need an account to see links)
    That just goes to show you how backwards our justice system is.
    You could just as easily get a 20cent bullet and spare the grandeur.
    Slight sarcasm intended.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

15. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Glaze (02-16-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro View Post
    HOLY SHIT ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
    Man the more you know.
    Wow. We're really fucked up. Thanks for sharing that.