12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Death penalty for Boston Marathon bombing suspect

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect is being charged on 30 federal charges, and 17 allow death penalty. Source: (you need an account to see links)

What is your opinion on the (possible) execution of him? I think that the death penalty should never be used. People can change, and what was a horrible person can be a good person later. If it's the issue of protecting the people from a maniac, life imprisonment does the job.

Discuss.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I think if he thinks it's ok to go out and commit a crime like that, he deserves the death penalty.
    But what I'd rather see is him locked up in a little box for the rest of his life. I think that would probably be 100x worse than a quick death.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Raj (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 9m
    I completely agree with Andrew. I think that anyone who takes anybody else's life should receive the harshest penalty possible, which in my opinion is sending them to solitary for the rest of their life.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    So should death penalty ever be used for less serious charges? You're saying his crime is too horrible for death

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    If you kill somebody, and get caught.. then you should get the death penalty.
    Maybe that's a bit extreme, but an eye for an eye I'd say.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    If you kill somebody, and get caught.. then you should get the death penalty.
    Maybe that's a bit extreme, but an eye for an eye I'd say.
    What if the killing was an accident? And what if the person was mentally ill? Would a death penalty be justified?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I don't think the death penalty should be used on anyone, two wrongs don't make a right. No matter how horrific a person is, killing them for killing other people is barbaric and backwards minded. They should be jailed for the rest of their lives, but not killed.

I often feel confused, that in our court system, we swear on bibles to tell the truth and blah blah blah, we live up to the expectation that killing another man is the most horrific thing you can do, and yet we have people employed to kill prisoners. Who are these people? How do 'they' live a normal everyday life, killing other people? Do they have the same justifications for their actions as the murderers themselves do...?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

Ambient (01-31-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro View Post
    What if the killing was an accident? And what if the person was mentally ill? Would a death penalty be justified?
    Of course there would always be exceptions as there is for anything else.

I just think it's stupid how we spend all these tax dollars on prisons. Some of the people jailed there are probably living better than they would outside of the prison. We provide all these amenities to prisoners now a days, and then there is the whole getting out earlier for good behavior. I think that in itself is stupid. You shouldn't get anything for behaving well, in prison... You should just get years added if you constantly fuck around.

I don't think that people who carry out the punishment are anywhere close to the same as the people who committed the crime though. I wouldn't want their job, but I don't see them as being evil like the criminals they deal with.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Mod (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    A lot of people think child molesters/rapists should automatically get the death penalty for ruining that child's (or children's) life.
    However, my father was FALSELY accused of child molestation and has been sitting in a cell for the past thirteen years, with seventeen more years to go.

I recently worked with a man that had been put into prison for the death of his best friend during a snowmobile accident. They wrecked and just because he happened to live, he was accused of his best friend's death. So the man lost his best friend and had to sit in prison after being accused for it.
    I was choked up just listening to this because I can't even fathom the amount of guilt and sadness he had to suffer and still suffers from. And if that man would have been killed for the death of his best friend, that would be incredibly wrong.

So on one hand, I'm incredibly grateful I live in Georgia where the death penalty isn't really ever executed on anyone. I actually believe in banned in Georgia, if I'm correct? But I'm not 100% certain. I know a few US states do allow it, such as Texas, I believe.

Killing people or lessening ANYONE else's life is incredibly wrong. A citizen shouldn't kill, nor should a prison guard or executioner. But that includes the crime committees, as well. If we're out to protect people in general, killing someone isn't really protecting a citizen, regardless of what that citizen did or was accused of.
    Some people are very capable of changing, and accidental deaths do happen. There are some people though, that never "get better" or turn a new leaf after they've committed a crime, and they do deserve to rot. The death penalty is not only hypocritical by killing to protect, but also a lesser punishment? Death is easy, rotting in a high security prison cell for years upon years is not.

Let them get to the point where the prison walls close in on them mentally and guilt eats them up so much that they take their own life, but nobody at any point has any reason or validation to take another life, in my opinion.

However, I do agree with @(you need an account to see links) that we spend too many tax dollars on feeding and housing these prisoners. I mean shit, I'm out here working and barely able to scrape up enough food to feed myself and my father has a roof over his head and food every day (shitty food, but food none the less) and does absolutely nothing for it. It's honestly not fair, and I can see where the death penalty would look like the better option.
    And although I don't think it's right to still take anyone's life, if someone slaughters an entire school of kids, or goes on a killing rampage, or literally just kills for the lust of blood, then yes, they should probably be susceptible to the death penalty. Twenty people aren't going to accidentally fall on your bullets. And once you're to that point of insanity, to where you're killing MULTIPLE people, that shouldn't be excused.
    Last edited by Umbreon; 01-30-2014 at 05:05 PM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Umbreon For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-30-2014),Ghosts (01-30-2014),I_royalty_I (01-30-2014),Miri (01-30-2014),nitro (01-30-2014),Raj (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I've heard that in some European countries, they focus more on rehabilitation for their prisoners than punishment. It works wonders, when you treat a human being who's in a correctional facility like a human being, and offer them the help that they need in order to function properly within society.

A massive amount of the people in prisons and jails are mentally disabled and need help, but because of the way out system works, they often times come out worse than when they went in and have no opportunities for housing in better areas or decent employment, landing them in the same sorts of situations that got them there.

Ya gotta wonder why America has so many people incarcerated. We're doing something wrong, that much is obvious.

There are people who deserve life in jail, but an eye for an eye mentality isn't doing us any good. They didn't have the right to end people's lives, to terrorize and injure them, but we don't have the right to kill the guy, either.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Banannie For This Useful Post:

Poem (01-31-2014)