12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Death penalty for Boston Marathon bombing suspect

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect is being charged on 30 federal charges, and 17 allow death penalty. Source: (you need an account to see links)

What is your opinion on the (possible) execution of him? I think that the death penalty should never be used. People can change, and what was a horrible person can be a good person later. If it's the issue of protecting the people from a maniac, life imprisonment does the job.

Discuss.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I think if he thinks it's ok to go out and commit a crime like that, he deserves the death penalty.
    But what I'd rather see is him locked up in a little box for the rest of his life. I think that would probably be 100x worse than a quick death.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Raj (01-30-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I think if he thinks it's ok to go out and commit a crime like that, he deserves the death penalty.
    But what I'd rather see is him locked up in a little box for the rest of his life. I think that would probably be 100x worse than a quick death.
    Basically exactly what I was going to say. I'd much rather see someone rot in jail, miserable beyond anything we could ever imagine, than to just have it end so quickly. Sitting in a tiny ass room eating disgusting food, being around disgusting people for the rest of your life seems much worse than death. Hopefully the jurors will see it that way as well.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    33 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyoftheflowers View Post
    Basically exactly what I was going to say. I'd much rather see someone rot in jail, miserable beyond anything we could ever imagine, than to just have it end so quickly. Sitting in a tiny ass room eating disgusting food, being around disgusting people for the rest of your life seems much worse than death. Hopefully the jurors will see it that way as well.
    Your taxpayer dollars goes towards running federal prisons, though. With that in mind, would you still support seeing him rot in jail while footing the tax cost of supporting lifetime imprisonment?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leet For This Useful Post:

Misha (02-19-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyoftheflowers View Post
    It may seem bizarre to you and me, but there are people who LIKE prison. My uncle has been in and out of jail for like thirty years (no violent crimes, just drugs and theft and stuff) and he has said that he prefers being in jail to being in the real world. There he doesn't have to worry about a job, or where his next meal is going to come from, or where he's going to sleep at night. Just because most people would find like in jail abhorrent doesn't mean that there aren't people who actually thrive in prison. Granted, most prisons in the United States are focused on punishment and not rehabilitation, but people are able to get steady jobs (which they get paid poorly for, but still) and an education that they wouldn't have necessarily been able to get outside of prison. Last I heard, Charles Manson was planning on getting married soon even though he's serving a life sentence. As much as we'd like to assume that all people immediately feel remorse and slowly go crazy for the rest of their lives while in prison, it's simply not (usually) the case.

I personally think that in cases like these, where there was a wanton disregard for life and no remorse for actions taken, a government should be able to take a life. I would rather my taxes go towards rehabilitating prisoners who actually stand a chance of eventually being contributing members of society than to feeding, housing, educating, and entertaining sociopaths.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie For This Useful Post:

Misha (02-19-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    It may seem bizarre to you and me, but there are people who LIKE prison. My uncle has been in and out of jail for like thirty years (no violent crimes, just drugs and theft and stuff) and he has said that he prefers being in jail to being in the real world. There he doesn't have to worry about a job, or where his next meal is going to come from, or where he's going to sleep at night. Just because most people would find like in jail abhorrent doesn't mean that there aren't people who actually thrive in prison. Granted, most prisons in the United States are focused on punishment and not rehabilitation, but people are able to get steady jobs (which they get paid poorly for, but still) and an education that they wouldn't have necessarily been able to get outside of prison. Last I heard, Charles Manson was planning on getting married soon even though he's serving a life sentence. As much as we'd like to assume that all people immediately feel remorse and slowly go crazy for the rest of their lives while in prison, it's simply not (usually) the case.

I personally think that in cases like these, where there was a wanton disregard for life and no remorse for actions taken, a government should be able to take a life. I would rather my taxes go towards rehabilitating prisoners who actually stand a chance of eventually being contributing members of society than to feeding, housing, educating, and entertaining sociopaths.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We, the upstanding citizens, pay for these prisons to hold these people. It's SUCH a huge waste of our tax dollars to fund someone's well-being (albeit in prison so not "well" in a sense) who is serving a life sentence and will never see the outside world again. Why waste our money on that? Put the fucker down, bury him/her, and move on. I don't believe necessarily in the "eye for an eye" notion, but in severe cases like this (terrorism and blatant disregard for innocent lives), I believe he should be put to death.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    8d 8h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post

Interesting. I guess it really depends on the individual and perhaps the prison that they are in. With this guy though, everyone is going to know what he's done, and from what I know, I think a lot of inmates will try to make his life hell. Hopefully, if he does get a life sentence, he will be in one of the worst prisons that America has. I would personally be okay with either a life or death sentence, as long as it's nothing lighter. I think both would suck equally bad. And of course, I don't know the guy, but based on his age and the things that I've read about him, I can't help but think he'd be one of the people who are miserable in jail. Not everyone likes it in there, or so I assume based on logic and jail suicide statistics. I guess he probably won't even know until he's in there though. Really though, could you imagine getting a life sentence at that age and when you're old and dying, looking back at your life? Knowing that it was lived in the same room, with the same surroundings every single day.. for me, that is worse than death. I think death would be letting him off easy, but that is from my perspective. To each their own right. I mean, I couldn't imagine living most of my life in prison, even with the entitlements you mentioned, but I suppose if other people like it, it's hard to say what would be the worse option for him. He's probably the only one who would know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 9m
    I completely agree with Andrew. I think that anyone who takes anybody else's life should receive the harshest penalty possible, which in my opinion is sending them to solitary for the rest of their life.

Selling everything - PM me what you're looking for!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    So should death penalty ever be used for less serious charges? You're saying his crime is too horrible for death

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    If you kill somebody, and get caught.. then you should get the death penalty.
    Maybe that's a bit extreme, but an eye for an eye I'd say.
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left