Uploads
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Time Online
    6 d 16 h 9 m
    Avg. Time Online
    7 m

do americans get uk comedy?

over this side of the pond we get a lot of us comedy programmes, going back to cheers, golden girls and the like up to todays, big bang theory,family gut.....( the totally unfunny how i met your mother), a lot are just funny full stop and others even when they reference us culture make us laugh even if we dont quite get it....( see family guy).

what i wondered is if it works the other way, going back to the 2 ronnies, porridge, monty python, through the young ones, bottom, men behaving badly, up to the mighty boosh, mrs browns boys. so do yanks get uk humor?

Wally World Washington
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Time Online
    47 d 14 h 2 m
    Avg. Time Online
    39 m
    No. However I went to watch Shameless on Netflix, and it was the UK version, and it was dumb >.>

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 692 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Time Online
    70 d 14 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 1 m
    Before I started dating @Whispers from Denmark I would try and watch some stuff on a select BBC programming channel we had in my local area, and I have to admit. A lot of things just went over my head. Of course, I was growing up back then and really couldn't appreciate a lot of the dryness of the humor anyway. I remember there was a show that I used to watch that seemed like a lot of just gag humor called 'Keeping Up Appearances' that was just really painful to watch when I was younger. Unlike most of my friends, I couldn't really find Monty Python very funny either. It just always seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny, but then again, I wasn't into that type of humor when I was a teen. Look Around You and The Mighty Boosh were probably the first programs I found to be humorous from the UK and I encountered both thanks to Adult Swim.

Now that I'm dating @Whispers and she has subjected me to more of European culture in general, I am finding some more things humorous and actually looking forward to seeing more comedy from the UK. The only thing we've really watched is The Big Fat Quiz for a few different years on Youtube. Primarily the two years with Noel Fielding and Russell Brand. I've been wanting to go re-watch Monty Python to see if I could find a laugh or two there, but I just have this negative feeling I will have to be high to enjoy it and I can't do drugs anymore so Oh well Ż\__(ツ)__/Ż

Oh but there was something on Netflix... It had Ricky Gervais. I believe it was called "Derek" and it was a great first season. I really hope it gets renewed, I haven't checked on whether it has or not. I realize it's not a 'comedy' but there are a lot of comedic moments in there that I think could be classified as UK-style humor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Whispers (01-28-2014)

Destiny Isles
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 435 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Time Online
    50 d 22 h 21 m
    Avg. Time Online
    54 m
    I find BBC's Sherlock pretty funny and that is incredibly dry humor. Some parts.
    I laugh at some things on Downton Abbey and Doctor Who has me giggling a few times an episode.
    It's very different humor than what American tv focuses on, I appreciate it more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyric For This Useful Post:

nayfeee (02-02-2014)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 22 h 56 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    I find BBC's Sherlock pretty funny and that is incredibly dry humor. Some parts.
    I laugh at some things on Downton Abbey and Doctor Who has me giggling a few times an episode.
    It's very different humor than what American tv focuses on, I appreciate it more.

You laugh at Downton Abbey? That show puts me to sleep.

It's just a bunch of rich cackling hens who sit around and sip tea and talk about there luxurious life.

As far as UK Comedy. Meh I don't really understand it too much but some UK shows are interesting to watch.

Destiny Isles
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 435 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Time Online
    50 d 22 h 21 m
    Avg. Time Online
    54 m
    @Kenshin I sure do! Granny Isabell (Professor McGonagall) cracks me up with her witty quips! I watch the show because of her.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Time Online
    4 d 21 h 9 m
    Avg. Time Online
    5 m
    I had never watched too much British TV before I went to London for a semester & met my husband (who is British). The first time he and I watched Peep Show, I was like, the fuck is this? But the more I understood the humor, and the more I watched British TV & movies, the more I started to get it. I think American humor is so apparently, whereas a lot of British humor is more subtle. But now Peep Show, Fawlty Towers, and pretty much anything with Stephen Merchant, Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington or Simon Pegg & Nick Frost are my go-to's when I need a laugh.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 20 h 18 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    I love UK humor. Most Monty Python that I've seen was hilarious, I think Black Books is genuinely one of the funniest shows I've watched, and several episodes of The IT Crowd gave me a headache from laughing.

I haven't watched a ton of UK comedies (the ones I mentioned, as well as every Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie, Doctor Who, Spaced, Sherlock - though obviously those aren't all strictly comedies), but in general I've enjoyed what I've seen.

Banned

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Time Online
    6 d 10 h 58 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    I have honestly never heard of any of those UK programs. I do enjoy a lot of american comedies though

Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 51 m
    I liked to watch 'My Family' until it was cut from broadcast over here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast