Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

do americans get uk comedy?

over this side of the pond we get a lot of us comedy programmes, going back to cheers, golden girls and the like up to todays, big bang theory,family gut.....( the totally unfunny how i met your mother), a lot are just funny full stop and others even when they reference us culture make us laugh even if we dont quite get it....( see family guy).

what i wondered is if it works the other way, going back to the 2 ronnies, porridge, monty python, through the young ones, bottom, men behaving badly, up to the mighty boosh, mrs browns boys. so do yanks get uk humor?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    108/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    49d 8h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    No. However I went to watch Shameless on Netflix, and it was the UK version, and it was dumb >.>
    [11:06 PN] domenick: you cant fix stupid
    [11:06 PM] andrew: unfortunately not lol

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Before I started dating @(you need an account to see links) from Denmark I would try and watch some stuff on a select BBC programming channel we had in my local area, and I have to admit. A lot of things just went over my head. Of course, I was growing up back then and really couldn't appreciate a lot of the dryness of the humor anyway. I remember there was a show that I used to watch that seemed like a lot of just gag humor called 'Keeping Up Appearances' that was just really painful to watch when I was younger. Unlike most of my friends, I couldn't really find Monty Python very funny either. It just always seemed like it was trying too hard to be funny, but then again, I wasn't into that type of humor when I was a teen. Look Around You and The Mighty Boosh were probably the first programs I found to be humorous from the UK and I encountered both thanks to Adult Swim.

Now that I'm dating @(you need an account to see links) and she has subjected me to more of European culture in general, I am finding some more things humorous and actually looking forward to seeing more comedy from the UK. The only thing we've really watched is The Big Fat Quiz for a few different years on Youtube. Primarily the two years with Noel Fielding and Russell Brand. I've been wanting to go re-watch Monty Python to see if I could find a laugh or two there, but I just have this negative feeling I will have to be high to enjoy it and I can't do drugs anymore so Oh well �\__(ツ)__/�

Oh but there was something on Netflix... It had Ricky Gervais. I believe it was called "Derek" and it was a great first season. I really hope it gets renewed, I haven't checked on whether it has or not. I realize it's not a 'comedy' but there are a lot of comedic moments in there that I think could be classified as UK-style humor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Whispers (01-28-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    51d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    I find BBC's Sherlock pretty funny and that is incredibly dry humor. Some parts.
    I laugh at some things on Downton Abbey and Doctor Who has me giggling a few times an episode.
    It's very different humor than what American tv focuses on, I appreciate it more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyric For This Useful Post:

Nath (02-02-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    28 times
    Time Online
    4d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyric View Post
    I find BBC's Sherlock pretty funny and that is incredibly dry humor. Some parts.
    I laugh at some things on Downton Abbey and Doctor Who has me giggling a few times an episode.
    It's very different humor than what American tv focuses on, I appreciate it more.

You laugh at Downton Abbey? That show puts me to sleep.

It's just a bunch of rich cackling hens who sit around and sip tea and talk about there luxurious life.

As far as UK Comedy. Meh I don't really understand it too much but some UK shows are interesting to watch.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    51d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    @(you need an account to see links) I sure do! Granny Isabell (Professor McGonagall) cracks me up with her witty quips! I watch the show because of her.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I had never watched too much British TV before I went to London for a semester & met my husband (who is British). The first time he and I watched Peep Show, I was like, the fuck is this? But the more I understood the humor, and the more I watched British TV & movies, the more I started to get it. I think American humor is so apparently, whereas a lot of British humor is more subtle. But now Peep Show, Fawlty Towers, and pretty much anything with Stephen Merchant, Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington or Simon Pegg & Nick Frost are my go-to's when I need a laugh.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    2d 20h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I love UK humor. Most Monty Python that I've seen was hilarious, I think Black Books is genuinely one of the funniest shows I've watched, and several episodes of The IT Crowd gave me a headache from laughing.

I haven't watched a ton of UK comedies (the ones I mentioned, as well as every Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie, Doctor Who, Spaced, Sherlock - though obviously those aren't all strictly comedies), but in general I've enjoyed what I've seen.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    72 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I have honestly never heard of any of those UK programs. I do enjoy a lot of american comedies though

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I liked to watch 'My Family' until it was cut from broadcast over here.