Thread: Any ideas on how long it could take me to learn SEO?

Hybrid View

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m

Any ideas on how long it could take me to learn SEO?

So here's the deal. My dad owns a small SEO company side job, but his new company is making him get rid of it within 6-7 months so he offered to sell it to me for an extremely cheap price. He has taught me all the basics such as the essentials of link building, key words, quality information, etc. I know there's still quite a bit to learn in order to get websites to the first page, so I'm wondering how long you guys would say it could take to learn enough in order to really keep a small business like this running. He said it shouldn't take too long, but didn't have a number in mind. Anyone who has learned this before able to let me know how long you would say it took you to learn enough in order to get a website to the first page? I know it all depends on how competitive the site is, but hoping to get an estimate figure so I can hope I can hopefully learn enough by that 6-7 month point.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    It's fairly straight forward once you have the basics, especially with the resources that are available on the web. I own a company that relies heavily on search engine rankings and our SEO is done by my business partner (a web developer) and myself, who are both self taught with regards to SEO.

It's very dynamic though and something you'll never fully "learn", things change and what was good last year can be harmful this year. If you know the basics you have plenty of time to carry on working with it and adding to your knowledge.
    Last edited by Nath; 01-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nath For This Useful Post:

learningtoneopet1 (01-08-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    129/0
    Mentioned
    355 times
    Time Online
    89d 14h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    It's fairly straight forward once you have the basics, especially with the resources that are available on the web. I own a company that relies heavily on search engine rankings and our SEO is done by my business partner and myself ( a web developer), who are both self taught with regards to SEO.
    Any good recommendations for material online?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    It's fairly straight forward once you have the basics, especially with the resources that are available on the web. I own a company that relies heavily on search engine rankings and our SEO is done by my business partner (a web developer) and myself, who are both self taught with regards to SEO.

It's very dynamic though and something you'll never fully "learn", things change and what was good last year can be harmful this year. If you know the basics you have plenty of time to carry on working with it and adding to your knowledge.
    Ah okay I figured it would be fairly simple The reason my dad has no clue how long it would take is because he actually started working for an SEO company a while back and learned a crap load of stuff in a week lol. But that was working like 10 hours a day.

@(you need an account to see links) I'm not sure what level of expertise you are at, but if you're just starting, I recommend this video section. (you need an account to see links)

Gives a very good foundation of the basics about it if you're at that point . Not sure if you're maybe more advanced though. Note: Some of the information here is no longer useful since ways search engines rank sites is always changing, but a large portion of it is still okay to use for today.

If you're a little bit more in depth, this is also a fairly more complex guide in a written form. (you need an account to see links)

Still not as complex as I heard it can get but it's a good jumping-off point

6. The Following User Says Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

SmileYaDead (01-09-2014)