2/0
    Mentioned
    395 times
    Time Online
    78d 23h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    28m

nature vs. nurture

i've done numerous reports on this for my biology classes in high school (so this was awhile ago). this used to be a hot topic but i'm not sure if it is anymore. it fascinates me, personally.

do you believe that people's personality traits/talents are nature, or simply the way they were raised?

i believe that both are a huge factor. i've read reports on how two twins that were separated at birth were adopted by different parents. one grew up completely swayed from alcohol, but the other was raised by parents who drank, so he grew up an alcoholic. although the twins shared some of the same genes, they grew up completely different.

what are your guys' intake on this subject? i'm super curious~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to team rocket For This Useful Post:

Banannie (02-27-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m

Re: nature vs. nurture

I believe its nurture with the upper hand. If I grew up with a family in the projects or in a crime ridden area, and my parents were involved in that, I would be too because thats what ive been seeing and what ive been (whether inadvertently or not) been taught to do. Now, my life now is in a home in the peaceful suburbs of chi town and my family is clean and legal and no wrongdoings. The same goes for me - I havent gotten in trouble for almost anything because I was raised to avoid that kind of stuff. But that doesnt mean its 100% nurture in my opinion. I still would have the same mentality no matter where I lived. I consider myself a little arrogant but determined to prove people wrong. If I was in the projects, that mentality would be there. And in real life I have that mentality as well. This I believe is a product of nature. Overall though I think that nurture is a bigger factor but situation plays into it a little as well as nature. This debate is not something that will ever have a winner because of all the different circumstances possible. Just my opinion, feel free to debate ^_^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    19h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I believe it's both (and most of the scientist agree with me ). Nature sets the boundaries for what's possible. Nurture fills the rest. So in most of the families they work together (like you are born a natural athlete and you grow up in a family that loves to to sports), but sometimes (adoption or something...) the nurture and nature don't go together (the family sits indoor all day, does nothing but watch tv and you'll be influenced by it. It is less likely for you to be into sports).

Most of the things are both, nature gets influenced by nurture.
    If you're intrested in some numbers: the chance for a mental illness is twice as big whan your monozygotic twin (same genes) has it (a 50-70% chance for schizofrenia) then when you have a dizygotic twin (are a brother, sister,...) has it. So the influence of genes is imortant but not all decisive.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Nurture.

Experiences and memories are who we are. The people we have met are who we are. The things we have seen are who we are.

If I cloned you right now, that you wouldn't be you at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

vampyd1977 (01-27-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/1
    Mentioned
    251 times
    Time Online
    14d 3h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    For me, I have this thing called a bad seed theory.
    Some people are just born with it.
    Yes, how you were raised should play a large role in how you act as an adult.
    But at the same time there are numerous times where a person who grew up with loving parents, went to good schools, etc, etc. And just turned out to be terrible people later on in life.
    On the other hand, I have known people whos parents beat them, neglected them and all sorts of atrocious things, and they are some of the best people you could meet.
    I am not saying this is always the case.
    But I just think there are some people that are just born with that in them and nothing will stop that.
    Im sure alot of you wont agree, but that is just my 2 cents on it.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    22 times
    Time Online
    9d 5h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I believe that both work here. While nature does have some input (genetic dispositions, etc) nurture I believe has more of an impact. Where we grow up, the education we receive, our "raising", it all has an impact.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I agree with Duck4Cover on this, because I know people from really sucky backgrounds (drugs, alcohol, abuse etc) who are some of the nicest people you could ever meet and some who were raised with money, loving parents/family, good education and stuff who are heavy alcohol/drug abusers. I think the way people are raised plays a massive role in the development of the majority of people, but there are the minority who I think are almost destined to turn out the opposite to how they were raised.

My own attitude has changed depending on the differing circumstances I've experienced, so for me, nurture is the dominant factor but there are people who I believe it is in their nature to adopt certain personality traits.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    8/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    3h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I've heard some pretty creepy things about twins separated at birth so.. I'm torn!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I believe it's a little bit of both. My mothers friends who she grew up with are now all what I would class as low lifes, fortunately she moved into a nicer area before any of us were born. I believe a lot of my traits come from the friends I kept, the school I went to etc. I come from a family of smokers and non drinkers, however, I have never smoked and I used to party quite wildly from 17-20.
    I think if you grow up in a poor area where crime is rife, it's pretty hard to not end up that way UNLESS you get out, but that's just my opinion.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    1d 9h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Both, definitely.. I share many physical and mental traits with my father who was completely absent in my life until I was much older to make these comparisons...