Thread: Charlottes Paella {Easy but impressive meal}

222 Post(s)
    Time Online
    51 d 1 h 55 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h N/A

PSN ID: Lottoyy Steam ID: charlotteguest

Charlottes Paella {Easy but impressive meal}

I am sharing this simple meal that always seems to impress my friends and family. Although I love it, I know the ingredients may not be up to some peoples liking so simply switch any unwanted seafood to a different type of meat for an equally beautiful meal!.

What is Peaella?
    Paella is a rice dish from Spain that has become very popular and is known around the world. It originated in the fields of a region called Valencia in eastern Spain. Valencian people prepared the dish with whatever ingredients they had on hand - rabbit, snails and vegetables. Today paella has spread to every region of Spain, using just about any kind of ingredient that goes well with rice!
    Actually, there are as many versions of paella as there are cooks. It may contain chicken, pork, shellfish, fish, eel, squid, beans, peas, artichokes or peppers. Saffron, the spice that also turns the rice a wonderful golden color is an essential part of the dish.

Will it make me fat?
    The below figures are for the portion size I will be sharing the recipe for.
    Calories- 343 which is 18% of an adults daily recommended allowance.
    Sugar- 4g which is 5% of an adults daily recommended allowance.
    Fat- 10g which is 15% of an adults daily recommended allowance.
    Saturates- 4g which is 20% of an adults daily recommended allowance.
    Salt- 1.9g which is 32% of an adults daily recommended allowance.

What will I need
    150g (5oz) chorizo, sliced
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    225g (8oz) paella rice (You can also use any savoury rice if this is your thing, I have used Uncle Bens varieties on several occasions and it's delicious. It leaves a much softer consistency than pealla rice.)
    750ml (1Ľ pints) chicken stock, hot (I only use this sometimes, It tastes good without it, other stock works but I find that this is a favourite with friends)
    250g (8oz) seafood selection (I usually put in Mussells, Squid and Shell-on prawns, especially for the colour but you can use whatever you want. New Zeland Mussels with the shells still on are a favourite in my household but all will work.)
    1 red pepper diced and one green pepper diced. (Again this is optional, some of my family members don't like pepper so I work without it sometimes and haven't noticed much difference but it makes it look a lot more appealing.
    1 handful frozen peas or dried peas that have been steeped.

How do I do it?
    Put the pan on a low heat and fry the Chorizo, do this gently until the oil is released. If you choose to use chicken or another meat, fry this now until it is browned.

Using a spoon, take out your Chorizo and put on to a kitchen paper towel (ensures it does not turn greasy), add the onion and pepper to the same frying pan and cooking on a very low heat in the Chorizo oil for 10-15 minutes. Add the paella rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat in the oil.

Add the Chorizo back to the pan and add your peas, also add your stock now if you choose to use it. Very gently simmer on the hob for around 20 minutes or until it is cooked to your liking.

Add your seafood and stir it in so it is mixed, take it off the heat immediately and cover so the seafood warms through (DO NOT COOK IT ON THE HO

Season to your liking and voila! I often add slices of lemon wedge in for appearence, a lot of my family like to squeeze some onto the Paerlla but not me personally. I haven't got the picture of my result as I wrote it up at a time when I haven't made it recently but will add one soon. Here is what we are aiming for

2. BuyNeopointsCheap

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elmo For This Useful Post:

Anja (01-21-2014),DarkByte (01-19-2014),Demetri (01-01-2014),Mod (01-01-2014)