Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody knowledgeable about WW II?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m

Anybody knowledgeable about WW II?

More specifically, does anybody know how the American public reacted to the war in Europe?

Or maybe you know what the official response from the Roosevelt White House was?

I'm browsing through a ton of newspaper articles and figured I'd ask here to see if anybody knew and could save me a little bit of work!
    Gracias!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Hi Andrew!

I did a quick google search and found this page, so hopefully it helps.

(you need an account to see links)

On the page was a link to the statement made by Roosevelt himself.

I hope this helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fox For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (12-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ame View Post
    Hi Andrew!

I did a quick google search and found this page, so hopefully it helps.

On the page was a link to the statement made by Roosevelt himself.

I hope this helps!
    That first link I'll have to read through, looks like it will definitely help fill some blanks.
    It's a little tricky though because my professor only wants us to concentrate on a certain time period (July 1939-December 1940) which is before we declare war on Japan. I originally thought that was what the answer was going to be, but now I'm finding I need to go back and dig a little bit more.
    But thank you for the help! Any help works for me!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    From multiple US-WWII Wiki pages:

When World War II began, most Americans viewed propaganda as a tool of totalitarian dictatorships. Furthermore, many remembered with hostility the fervor of World War I propaganda efforts, which were later regarded as violating basic rights as well as conveying misinformation. At first, the government was reluctant to engage in propaganda campaigns, but pressure from the media, the business sector and advertisers who wanted direction persuaded the government to take an active role. Even so, the government insisted that its actions were not propaganda, but a means of providing information. These efforts were slowly and haphazardly formed into a more unified propaganda effort, although never to the level of World War I.
    American public opinion was hostile to Hitler's Germany, but how much aid to give the Allies was controversial. Public opinion was even more hostile to Japan, and there was little opposition to increased support for China. By 1940 the U.S., while still neutral, was becoming the "Arsenal of Democracy" for the Allies, supplying money and war materials. The sudden defeat of France in spring 1940 caused the nation to begin to greatly grow its armed forces, including the first peacetime draft. After the German invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941, America began sending Lend Lease aid to Russia as well as Britain and China.
    Both before 1941. ^

And:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (12-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I think it's kinda dumb how we aren't supposed to start reading and testing on WWII until next week but our paper is due this week. I am picking up quite a bit of information that I didn't know before now though!

My professor wants us to gather all this information from newspapers/editorials... because we all know how forthcoming and accurate the press is -_-

So all this information is helpful as well! @(you need an account to see links)
    I hadn't read anywhere about that prior engagement with the Axis forces. So far all I have seen was our involvement after Japan hit Pearl harbor. So that will be something new to add in!

Working thesis

The popular isolationist views, concern over the effects domestically, and uncertainty towards the future all made up the mixing pot of American opinions.
    Last edited by I_royalty_I; 12-05-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    My professor wants us to gather all this information from newspapers/editorials... because we all know how forthcoming and accurate the press is -_-
    I've been using Wiki since day one in Uni, even when disallowed by my instructors.

Almost all info on Wikis are cited off legitimate sources anyways, so I've always just cited the original articles at the bottom of a Wiki page in my assignment references.

Be sure to at least skim or verify you can find a copy of the original source upon request, if your instructors ever call you out. Some are off elusive books or non-existent in electronic form.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    I've been using Wiki since day one in Uni, even when disallowed by my instructors.

Almost all info on Wikis are cited off legitimate sources anyways, so I've always just cited the original articles at the bottom of a Wiki page in my assignment references.

Be sure to at least skim or verify you can find a copy of the original source upon request, if your instructors ever call you out. Some are off elusive books or non-existent in electronic form.
    Thats what I'm planning on doing for the most part. I got a free trial to a site where I can pull up old newspapers. So Im gonna cite those papers and pull info from them while reading on wiki and other credible places. Professors always say Wikipedia isn't reliable, but I find it's one of the most reliable places out there, on most subjects at least.
    Ive got it pretty well laid out in my head now, just gotta crank it out!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    but I find it's one of the most reliable places out there, on most subjects at least.
    One of my senior course instructors said the same thing with regard to Wiki pages on technical or otherwise complex topics that the average joe wouldn't know or bother to care; the only people editing those pages are usually knowledgeable experts themselves. No rando is going to search up such obscure topics otherwise, .

Wiki pages on current pop culture and teen stuff, however...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    One of my senior course instructors said the same thing with regard to Wiki pages on technical or otherwise complex topics that the average joe wouldn't know or bother to care; the only people editing those pages are usually knowledgeable experts themselves. No rando is going to search up such obscure topics otherwise, .

Wiki pages on current pop culture and teen stuff, however...
    Exactly! Nobody would take time out of their day to mess up specific technical pages, or pages that are very important in history. Any changes that happen there are probably quickly reverted once they are seen. But who really cares what it says on Justin Biebers page, ya know?
    Like you said, most of the wiki pages have quite the bibliography associated with them, so they are about as credible as reading a textbook in most instances. I have donated to wikipedia the past few years because the site has helped me out countless times!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Mod (12-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I have donated to wikipedia the past few years because the site has helped me out countless times!!
    My man.