33/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    12d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

Pro-life!

My religious roommate and her friends recently approached me and asked if I was pro-life.

I told them I most definitely am! That I believe human beings have a responsibility to conserve and protect wildlife.

They then told me if I was for the murdering of innocent babies, and said if a baby was a tree, would I save it?

Am I the only one that finds the term (Pro-Life) a little misleading?

If anything, I feel like adding more humans to the world doesn't benefit the world at all. But we can always use more trees.

What are your thoughts on abortion and the use of the phrase "pro-life"?
    I am a human being, nothing human is alien to me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    298 times
    Time Online
    30d 23h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I don't really express my opinions on this very much. My only thoughts are "Those women whom have to make that choice have most courage than I, and they should choose the choice they can make peace with, for it is them alone who have to walk it. Not you, nor I, nor anyone but those with that choice."

Why, yes. The world does revolve around me.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Air For This Useful Post:

Ana (12-05-2013),Elmo (12-17-2013),I_royalty_I (12-03-2013),Lotus (02-28-2014),Pusheen (12-03-2013)

overthink.exe
    Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    40/0
    Mentioned
    1,155 times
    Time Online
    550d 23h 8m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 26m
    The phrase "pro-life" is misleading, which is why a lot of people have come to call it "anti-choice".
    Which is what it is

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittyray For This Useful Post:

bittersweet (01-18-2014),I_royalty_I (12-03-2013),katix (12-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    12d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    My issue with "pro-life" is that it only applies to humans, and not towards every other living thing on this planet. I believe that people mostly bring harm to this world, in general, rid everything else of life and growth.

Some alternatives could be (Anti-Abortion, Anti-choice, pro-birth, ect.)
    I am a human being, nothing human is alien to me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I would save a tree.
    But babies are not trees, they're not even remotely related in any social sense.
    Your religious friends are drawing on unrealistic analogies to guilt trip people into seeing "their way".

That's like saying people who eat tomatoes are sick fucks because they'd also likely eat humans.

---

As for abortion, I am for it as long as it's of free will of the parent(s) themselves, not pressure from others.

I personally believe until late stages of pregnancy and after birth is a person truly "alive", in a moral respect. Until then, the baby is just a cluster of cells like a steak you buy at the store or a tree outside - it lacks a conscious brain, it lacks sentience. If a person isn't ready or capable to be a parent in upbringing a child in a successful and nurturing environment, then abortion is the best way to go, for the unborn kid and to the parents themselves.

The few months of pregnancy is nothing compared to the responsibility of a lifetime - to the child, to the person as a parent, and to society as a while.

Inability to raise kids "right" is one of the contributing factors why society has problems like crime and hate, and why it grows worse by the generation; more people on Earth and escalating warped ideals. World population is getting bigger, and while technically food stores and space (if managed efficiently) can last everyone a few hundred more years, governments aren't willing to help needy nations for free, leading to strife as we see in the world now and since the dawn of civilization. In the long run, it affects us all.

---

The following may be getting off-topic from the OP's original point, hence spoiler'd and read at your own interest:

Last edited by Mod; 12-04-2013 at 04:27 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Maki (12-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    9h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Honestly I think kids have the right to life a much as anyone. The only time I would find the use of the term pro-life to be 'misleading' would be in the event that a woman would die in childbirth then saying "pro-life" doesnt exactly tell you which life is being chosen...

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I find this issue to be very frustrating. If a person is in a situation where they have gotten pregnant without meaning to, then there is something wrong with the education they have been given or the situation they are in. There are places out there where you can get condoms for free and birth control pills. You do have the right to do whatever you want with your body, and no one should tell you otherwise, but this should NOT be used as an excuse to have irresponsible sex. Pregnancy can be prevented and if you don't have the means to be responsible about it than you should not be fucking, ya damned rabbits...!

The above is not pertaining to victims of rape. And I get that occasionally uncontrollable shit happens, but the numbers of women going in for abortions is a lot higher than the statistics of responsible accidents.

I agree with abortion, though. I don’t think that a child should have a child if they don’t have the means, the income and the education to teach their kin how to function in the world. I don’t think a drug addict should have a child. I don’t think that parents should have to bring into the world a child that is going to be born a vegetable. You can do what you want with your body. But be responsible. Don’t think that just because you ‘can’ abort a child that you don’t have to be safe.

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    If we're doing some real talk here I don't reckon anyone should get down and dirty with anyone who they can't trust enough to support them in either decision if a baby happens

HOWEVER this is not the ideal world and I have broken this little mantra of mine on more than one occasion.

I always thought I would keep a baby if I did get pregnant, and I think if it had happened to me with the ex-partner I was sexually active with for over a year we would have kept it. (Took us a couple of scares to get to that point but I know he would've stuck around.) But the guy I'm kind of seeing at the moment? No way would I be able to cope with telling him if I was pregnant - I would be raising that child on my own.

So ideally I wanna save all the babbies because I think life starts right from the zygote, but this is a to-each-their-own world and it's not my place to make decisions like that for other people, y'know? As much as it broke my heart/made me furious to see a friend just kinda throw her vag around and use abortion as a form of contraception, all I could do was be there for her as a non-judgemental party to love her through all that pain. Sex is complicated mang

i'm back baybeeee | nfi what i'm doing tho

avatar/signature images from a erwin/levi sfw doujin by hakodume/tama;
    their pixiv is sadly deactivated

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    35d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I had an abortion a while ago and honestly don't regret it at all. We were using condoms, it broke. We used Plan B once before but shit, that fucker is 50$ per pill and as a broke ass college student I can't afford that shit while I'm already eating cup a noodle every meal. Luckily Planned Parenthood paid for my abortion and saved my life. The term pro-life is misleading to me because the way I see it they are asking you to completely forget about the females life and put the fetus first. I don't find this particularly fair at all...I mean if they wanted that fetus go ahead and take it outta the mom and raise it yourself in your own womb. Also yeah pro-life could mean a lot more than just human babies.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I don't agree that a baby is just cells in the early stages, as someone who had a miscarriage at 12 weeks I can tell you it's not that simple. With my current son I heard his little heart beat as a 7 week old fetus, I seen his little nose and hands on a 3d scan. My son was the result of failed contraception and I am definitely not uneducated about this kind of thing as it has been suggested above. Condoms can break, the pill can fail (sickness, taking anti biotics etc).

That being said, I am pro choice. I would NEVER have an abortion personally and never considered it. But I do understand people who choose this way. What I can't understand is little sluts who go out having unprotected sex with every tom dick and harry and then have an abortion as if it's nothing. If you aren't able to look after a child, sure, or for medical purposes.