View Poll Results: Should euthanasia be legal?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 87.80%
  • No

5 12.20%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should euthanasia be legal?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    29/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    5d 8h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    People should be able to choose if they want out.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Yes, for people who are mentally sound, terminally ill, and aren't being pressured to do it for friends & family. Someone refusing life support isn't euthanasia, so I'm not concerned about people in a vegetative state. People should make those sorts of medical arrangements (along with things like DNRs) before someone happens to them.

I don't think that people who want to commit suicide should be allowed to use the euthanasia process. While I agree with a lot of what @(you need an account to see links) said, the fact is that there are other human beings who have to administer (or at least provide) the drugs used for euthanasia, and it's not fair to make them be responsible for someone else's choices. I think that helping terminally ill people who are only facing a physically painful suffering & death die is compassionate. I don't think that helping someone who is suffering emotionally is compassionate. For people who are suffering emotionally, there ARE other options. There are things to try, like therapy and medication. If the person is simply unwilling to try because it's never worked before or it's their business, then they cannot ask someone else to provide them with the means of killing themselves. Obviously people who want to kill themselves will find a way to die, but I don't think it should be at the hands of someone trying to help terminally ill people. While it may be none of MY business, it very literally WOULD be the business of the person being asked to provide the drugs that would kill that individual.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Most definitely, but under controlled circumstances and when there is no hope. My grandmother passed away Christmas 2013 after a short illness but she suffered with Dementia which was brought on by a stroke. I visited her care home several times a week and witnessed people going from happy and outgoing and unable to feed themselves within a matter of months.

Terminal illness or an illness with 0 quality of life, they should have the choice.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Yes, for people who are mentally sound, terminally ill, and aren't being pressured to do it for friends & family. Someone refusing life support isn't euthanasia, so I'm not concerned about people in a vegetative state. People should make those sorts of medical arrangements (along with things like DNRs) before someone happens to them.

I don't think that people who want to commit suicide should be allowed to use the euthanasia process. While I agree with a lot of what @(you need an account to see links) said, the fact is that there are other human beings who have to administer (or at least provide) the drugs used for euthanasia, and it's not fair to make them be responsible for someone else's choices. I think that helping terminally ill people who are only facing a physically painful suffering & death die is compassionate. I don't think that helping someone who is suffering emotionally is compassionate. For people who are suffering emotionally, there ARE other options. There are things to try, like therapy and medication. If the person is simply unwilling to try because it's never worked before or it's their business, then they cannot ask someone else to provide them with the means of killing themselves. Obviously people who want to kill themselves will find a way to die, but I don't think it should be at the hands of someone trying to help terminally ill people. While it may be none of MY business, it very literally WOULD be the business of the person being asked to provide the drugs that would kill that individual.
    I don't see the person to administer as the problem. There are plenty of people that would LOVE to kill people or help them along (sadists). And that also have no guilt/remorse. But as a society we see this behavior as taboo and opts to hire the person that strongly believes that people should have the right to die. (who knows, maybe some people are the first but are fantastically good at hiding it).

Either why, I don't see the person as administering as the problem. There is always going to be someone for the job.

I more so have a problem with the fact it's illegal for a person to kill themselves.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociopath View Post
    I more so have a problem with the fact it's illegal for a person to kill themselves.
    Oh yeah, that's bullshit.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Oh yeah, that's bullshit.
    Eveyone have drikz yayay xoxo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    8d 14h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Yes. But I don't believe it should be common practice. It should be a decision made with the approval of the patient, the family, and the doctors.