Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me picking out a new computer!?!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    69d 3h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

Help me picking out a new computer!?!

Ok guys I have decided I want an apple computer for my next computer. So dont say get a windows..i already own windows computers so I dont need another one.

I will be using it for web browsing, light gaming (call of duty ghosts, neopets, counterstrike and maybe battlefield 3/4 ect), and video watching (netflix/solarmovie ect)

I am really looking to talk to someone who has a retina macbook pro cuz i have some very important questions about the screen to ask such as whether netflix looks worse on it because of its low quality videos and if neo looks worse on it ect.

Budget is ~$2500

the options I came up with is

15 inch retina macbook pro top of the line ($2399)

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz memory
    • 512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
      with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Built-in battery (8 hours)2

Or

the top of the line 27 inch Imac ($2394)

• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    • 1TB Fusion Drive (1 tb 7200 rpm with a 128gb SSD built in) or I could get 256 GB SSD for same cost
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5
    • Apple Magic Mouse
    • Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Last edited by Getwellsoon; 11-24-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Low quality videos will be low quality on any screen & screen size, larger screens will show larger pixels and larger artifacts as the only difference.
    I don't have a Retina Macbook Pro, but most displays (esp. from Apple) are capable of HD playback (if the video file is HD itself); if your Macbook specs are top-end, they wouldn't shirk on the screen too.

The main question you have to ask yourself is:

Mobility vs. Power?

---

-Desktops will always be faster and better than laptops, just look at the specs of the computer(s) you want. The only worse spec is the RAM, but unless you're doing heavy graphics work like AutoCADing, 8GB of memory is sufficient to play games on high settings now and in the next couple of years.
    As for 1TB HD or 256GB SSD, gotta ask yourself how much disk space you think you'll need until you replace your computer again, or how much you've been using on your current computer? SSDs are very fast and getting cheaper-per-size every year, but are still pricey vs HDs like 1TB.

-The biggest bottleneck in videos and gaming (like BF4/Ghosts) are the video cards. The 750 and 780 are both strong cards to handle these tasks, but if you want absolute best performance in this region, then it's going to go to the iMac's 780.

-If you need (or want) to carry it around with you frequently, like to school or work, then it's clear you should go with the Macbook. If you're not, spend more days at home, or just want the best bang for buck, then go iMac.

Mobility vs. Power, your decision is as simple as that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Getwellsoon (11-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    69d 3h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    yea its that damn portability that is so appealing about the macbook pro cuz sometimes i like to play on the computer in the basement with my sister or in my family room with my parents or in my room by myself or bring it to school...but i do have a windows laptop which i am typing on right now and it has an i7 quad core 128 SSD 8 gb ram ect...so its a good computer...so idk if i should get the imac or the macbook pro...i feel like if i get either all i would want to do is be on that computer so then i would have to use my windows computer for mobility...but idk i might want to use my apple for both you know since they do cost so god dam much money lol..

and the only reason why the imac has 8 gb in the description is because you can manually install more ram on the back of the imac so i would do it myself up to 16 gb or whatever for like half the cost apple charges lol..

really looking for someone who has a retina macbook pro to help me out with this...if anyone knows anyone who has one please tag them in this thread!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    1d 12h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Just build your own on HP.com or something, choose the casing you want or the "type" you want. It then lets you go through every aspect of the computer and choose what you want in it. Gives you the prices right then and there for each piece. That's what I did for mine about 2-3 years ago...still an amazing computer.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    69d 3h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    i already have an amazing windows computer..as i stated in my first post..

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    1d 12h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Getwellsoon View Post
    i already have an amazing windows computer..as i stated in my first post..

My brain avoids apple computers. Cause Windows > Apple

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDreamer For This Useful Post:

Skarl (11-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    69d 3h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
    My brain avoids apple computers. Cause Windows > Apple
    about 3 years ago i would have agreed with you...but now with iphones and ipads and their computers all being able to connect together so flawlessly and everything on their computer being such nice quality and long lasting I really think mac is the right way to go...especially with the monstrosity windows made with windows 8...talk about the DUMBEST and WORST OS ever made lol..makes me laugh at how bad it is.
    Last edited by Getwellsoon; 11-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    windows 8...talk about the DUMBEST and WORST OS ever made lol..makes me laugh at how bad it is.
    Agree. My computer isn't touch screen, nor is it "smart." I miss my start menu, but I've figured out ways around the problem... and just with one extra click. So inconvenient.

As for your conundrum, @(you need an account to see links) phrased it best as "Mobility vs. Power." Best of luck deciding.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    69d 3h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    yea if you download classic shell from classicshell.net you can get your friendly windows start menu back, i did it on my sisters new windows computer...but still i just dont like windows 8...really bad move on microsofts part..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Getwellsoon For This Useful Post:

Skarl (11-26-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    1d 12h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    about 3 years ago i would have agreed with you...but now with iphones and ipads and their computers all being able to connect together so flawlessly and everything on their computer being such nice quality and long lasting I really think mac is the right way to go...especially with the monstrosity windows made with windows 8...talk about the DUMBEST and WORST OS ever made lol..makes me laugh at how bad it is.

Oh, I'll agree with you on Windows 8. I will never upgrade to it, hell I don't even want to stay on Windows 7, but I've gotten used to it. The connecting to other computer things is scary, when I'm studying in what my college calls the "Commuter Center" I always get notifications on my Iphone asking to connect to random peoples MAC's. I want to do it one day and put up random ass pictures on their computer.