2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

How to talk to a professor that hates you? [rep+]

So I took an online course over the summer and got a grade I didn't like.

I intitially started to hustle the professor for a grade change. But then it got interesting and through our correspondence he fucked up and I realized he actually did give me a lower grade than I deserved.

So I kinda was like oh would you look at that mistake...and then he started to ignore me. This was back in September.

I've recently started to deal with this again and he will not answer the two emails I sent asking about his office hours because I want to speak to him in person. The second one was very snarky because I know he googled my name after the first email.

I don't want to get the dean involved in this because that's time consuming so does anyone have any advice dealing with him? Judicial affairs has also told me to continue to try and privately resolve this. My roommate said to show up to one of his classes and surprise him after the lecture because he refuses to speak to me otherwise. He has a HUGE ego and in general is just a douche.

I also don't know how to approach him
    Be nice or be all like "you have two options. You can change it.
    Or you can refuse to change it and look embarrassed in front of the dean. And I'll win anyway. Your choice"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Ugh, what a douche.

Unfortunately, the best way to get what you want is to be sugarry sweet. You have to set aside the vindictiveness, anger, etc for long enough to just get him to do what you want.

Wait for him after class. Apologize for coming across as rude, mean, whatever, say you are sorry for taking up his time, but, etc etc (every simpering, lily livered thing you can think of essentially), but you need to discuss something very important with him.

Say you know it wasn't on purpose, you completely understand that these mistakes happen, but this is your entire future riding on the line and, you know it is inconvenient and you don't mean to be a bother, but this needs to be addressed. Offer to help however you can (if you can have whatever forms are necessary on hand, that'd be good) and be obsequious. Cry if you can because this is so important.

If he still refuses, then you start explaining how you will take this to whomever it takes to get it changed, and you will not stop or go away about this.

good luck!
    There are no girls on the internet.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osiyo For This Useful Post:

Poem (11-22-2013),Sociopath (11-22-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociopath View Post
    So I took an online course over the summer and got a grade I didn't like.

I intitially started to hustle the professor for a grade change. But then it got interesting and through our correspondence he fucked up and I realized he actually did give me a lower grade than I deserved.

So I kinda was like oh would you look at that mistake...and then he started to ignore me. This was back in September.

I've recently started to deal with this again and he will not answer the two emails I sent asking about his office hours because I want to speak to him in person. The second one was very snarky because I know he googled my name after the first email.

I don't want to get the dean involved in this because that's time consuming so does anyone have any advice dealing with him? Judicial affairs has also told me to continue to try and privately resolve this. My roommate said to show up to one of his classes and surprise him after the lecture because he refuses to speak to me otherwise. He has a HUGE ego and in general is just a douche.

I also don't know how to approach him
    Be nice or be all like "you have two options. You can change it.
    Or you can refuse to change it and look embarrassed in front of the dean. And I'll win anyway. Your choice"
    Blackmail.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I'd just personally go by his office, they should have the office hours posted on the door. If not, he can get in trouble for it.
    secondly, I'd go to his office and confront him. saying you dont think its fair that you admitted a mistake, and refuse to change it. He might pull some card like I cant go back and change it. Well to fix that, just say can you offer me some extra credit, something easy to do on the side to help boost my grade? Tell him its to keep scholarships and shit like that. try not to be hard on him about it.

all esle fails, offer a private conversation. if you know what i mean.
    then blackmail him

6. The Following User Says Thank You to |2eap For This Useful Post:

Sociopath (11-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    @(you need an account to see links) Good answer...you gave me a few points I actually didn't think of. Thanks!

@(you need an account to see links) - I've been to his office twice and he wasn't there either time. I put something in his mailbox on a Friday, went back on a Wednesday and it was still there. His office is on another campus to and both ways it adds up to over an hour commute both ways. That's just really fucking annoying to me. And no office hours on the door, I've never seen a professor here have their office hours on their door (though it makes a lot of sense to..)

He's a professor that was clearly hired as a researcher, so I'm sure he spends a lot of time in a lab...where that is though I have no clue.

He won't change the grade for a scholarship either no way jose he had a huge rant about that.

He really is just refusing to change this grade because he doesn't want to give me my way. So I think I have to stop ticking him off and stroke his ego. He is really is a genius just a huge douche about his intelligence/power.