20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazingchampion View Post
    Animals deserve our respect, and don't deserve to be tortured or breed specifically to be eaten.
    So long as all edible parts of the hunted critter are consumed, I'm not opposed to hunting. It's when it becomes a sport to have taxidermied heads on a wall that bothers me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarl View Post
    hunted critter

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think is cruel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    6d 16h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    if you wanna hunt for sport, make it sporting. i reckon hand to paw is fair, the animal might weigh 400lbs and have razor sharp claws and teeth but its all good fun. lets see how many want a trophy rug/head then.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I understand hunting for the necessity of culling an out of control population or if you're going to eat the animal after you kill it.

But like the title says, this is about hunting for SPORT. If it's literally just for the size of the prize, I don't see why people can't be satisfied with hunting with tranquilizers or something along those lines. Why is it not good enough to hunt, shoot with something that sedates rather than kills, run in & take your picture, and leave it at that?

Pronouns
    they/them
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    78 times
    Time Online
    3d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    It's my personal belief that we shouldn't just kill animals for sport. I mean if someone is going to kill an animal and eat/use most parts of it, I'm totally fine with that, but when you have people like (you need an account to see links) I just think it's more of a pathetic exertion of force for no reason other than for "fun."

However if a human applied the same behavior to people they would be considered a threat to society, but when it's an animal people care less because it doesn't directly affect them. I mean there are dolphins who kill other dolphins for fun, but I think that's different than someone shooting things for the "fun" of it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    57d 23h N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Having worked for a pig farm, I would say I condone the idea of hunting for meat. The barn I worked in had 2400 females and 5 males. The whole operation was breeding females, putting them into a small crate when they are ready to give birth, sorting the male and female babies out by gender, and sending those piglets off to be raised for slaughter. Not much of a life if you ask me. On top of that, if we had a male that was too aggressive for us to put on a collar to walk around the barn, or a female who looked like shit or couldn't produce more than 8 piglets per pregnancy, we took a "bolt-gun" that was essentially a .22 pistol that took a blank round and shot a 10 inch bolt into the brain of the pig.

I'd much rather hunt a deer and eat some venison than watch a large company raise 15,000 piglets every 3 months to produce pork for Tyson/Hormel/Wal-Mart.

Oh, and when there were piglets that weren't "good enough" to send out the door (i.e. they had a bad leg or a ruptured intestine or were just plain "too small") we would have to essentially smash their head onto the concrete flooring to "put them out of their misery".

Shit was cray cray.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    381 times
    Time Online
    51d 10h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Sport Hunting - Absolutely don't agree with it. I get it's the adrenaline of the hunt, the excitement of possibly dying because the animal can attack you instead, but it's still not okay to take a life for fun. Now, I know it's absolutely illegal to hurt or kill a human, and that animals are not on the same level as humans, but what if tables were turned and humans were hunted for sport? Not cool at all.

I know this isn't technically hunting for sport, but if you hunt to feed your family because you have no other means to feed your family, I'm okay with this. Take care of your family. Just don't purposefully pick up a gun, head into the woods and start searching for the biggest buck to show off. That doesn't make you the best hunter because you shot the biggest buck.

I'm in the deep country and pretty much every male in my family is handed a gun at a young age, taken into the woods and taught how to hunt and field dress. I might not agree with it but they don't (most of them) do it for sport, and they actually care about the animals they are hunting.

Last edited by Lyric; 03-03-2014 at 01:59 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyric For This Useful Post:

Misha (03-03-2014),Shinji (03-03-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I don't like sport hunting when it happens to animals that are going extinct and need protection, and unfortunately a lot of animals die very painful deaths when they are shot and escape from inexperienced hunters. But I grew up as a small child in Arizona, and had family in Idaho, and there was always a snake skeleton or deer antlers hanging somewhere. My uncle used to collect pelts. He had a skunk, a vew raccoons, some deer hides, and I have to admit that I really love looking at taxidermy and trophies and whatnot. They're pretty fascinating!

I actually have been starting a skull collection from skullsunlimited.com and I find taxidermy and all of that to be very artistic and beautiful. I'm hoping to get an articulated cat and dog skeleton in May so that I have a poseable base to look at from life, to draw from.

Hunting for sport makes me sad, and there are problems with it, but there are problems with the animal trade in every form. Most of the animals that we eat come from horrible conditions, and have much worse lives than the wild deer a hunter shot. I have had to kill a few of my chickens in the past, and I ate one recently so that I could understand what it's like to 'get closer to my food'. I had a lot more respect for the life of the creature I had raised, and mourned a little at the loss of life, but it needed to be done. People have no problems buying meat from a grocery store, not really paying attention to how those animals are treated. But raising my food, killing and preparing it, gave me more of an appreciation for the birds in my care and it was also helpful in understanding the 'soul' behind my food.
    If that makes sense...

It isn't just sport hunting that causes problems, everything to do with the way we treat and manage the animals on our planet is wrong. I work at the Humane Society, I take care of the cats there, help people find the pet they'd like to adopt, ect, and I've worked with and bonded to sooo many pets that are absolutely perfect but we just don't have the room for. And they are put down after being in a cage, confused and scared, and that's how they end their lives...

If you ever want to look into the lives of the people working at meat processing plants, or tanneries, or things like that, it isn't any better. A lot of the people are treated like animals in their own right.

Sport hunting can be a terrible thing, but it is one small piece of pie in a much larger and more problematic society.

I'm hoping someday that I can live off of some land, chickens, rabbits, ducks for meat. They would be treated well and have wonderful lives.
    But I also might go deer hunting one day and keep the head as a trophy, use the rest for jerky, the bones for mixed media art projects. And if a coyote is prowling my land trying to eat up my cats and birds, I will def. trap it (if possible, they're really smart...) and have it removed, they don't relocate, I don't think. They put down wildlife like that if it gets too close to people's property.

Dunno, my opinions are kind of split down the middle... the trophy animals going exinct aren't even as important as the little creatures with a lot of environmental impact disappearing. But they aren't cute or relatable, so they don't get as much press.
    Even when it comes to saving creatures, people are still enamoured with the pretties...
    All the same shyit.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    19h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The exotic sport hunting the OP is eluding too isn't really all that dangerous. It isn't even much of a challenge. They usually have a professional tracker help them track it, and they snipe the animal from a fair distance away without it ever knowing it was in danger. It then proceeds to run away and slowly bleed to death. You may as well be in your back woods trekking around then shooting at a target then drown some kittens in a nearby river. The most dangerous part of the affair is the camping bit as a wild animal could wander up to them or they could get bit by an insect...

Hunting by itself is useful and is needed to curb animal populations before they become pests. As many have stated of the abysmal conditions farmed meat supply live in, hunting is the far more "humane" and natural way. I'm hunter myself but I have a disdain for most others who hunt. I'm usually have my haul the first day on my uncles farm but others always look for the best prize, the most points on the buck etc. That's not what they are about, its more of a sport or a game to them. We were made to eat meat, we have the teeth for it and its good for us, but we shouldn't have the need to relish over the death. I know i certainly wouldn't want to be hunted and killed for fun. (Nothing against vegetarians, but you know you have to take extra steps to make sure you keep a healthy diet).

Hunting is fine, but sport hunting is bad. I would casually remind you all though that lions are technically considered a very dangerous pest though. While alpha male lions do not leave their area to hunt, other males without a "pride" or pack roam large distances in search of other males to challenge and food to hunt. They can wind up in villages and kill people. Therefore an occasional sport hunting is needed, but again not something that should be relished.