Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    16d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

Sport Hunting

Sport Hunting

Even though it can be completely legal.. I am against it.

Why? Because the idea of killing something when you don't have to disgusts me.

Thoughts?

This is brought up by the recent stuff going viral Melissa Bachman going to Africa to hunt a lion. And by hunt, she took a guided tour to "stalk" this lion.. which is in a van. Hunting a lion isn�t very hard. To kill a lion you have to be a coward. Lions sleep on average 15 - 20 hours a day. Male lions don't even hunt (thanks ladies!). And lions are at the top of their food chain therefore they don't really worry about anything (hence them being okay being around trucks). The do not have a flight response. This woman literally pointed a gun and shot. Absolutely disgusting.

I cannot be against hunting animals if there is a legitimate need for food, and if there are plenty of them. However, this "sport" for the sheer fun of taking down an exotic animal reeks of human stink. I don't want to be classified in with humans when they do such things.

Why not just kill a dozen or so house cats? Same thing, both in terms of effort and moral correctness. Plus, instead of one big rug, you can make slippers!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pestix For This Useful Post:

Kad (03-03-2014),Maki (11-23-2013),♥ Munna ♥ (04-09-2014),Poem (11-24-2013),vampyd1977 (03-02-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I agree with OP and was to echo her reasoning.

Killing other intelligent life for pleasure is cruel and unnecessary. We already farm enough livestock for such purposes in first world countries. Back in the day, it was required to survive, but now it's just sadistic, yet its acceptable as long as you pay for a "license to kill" (007, pew pew). The governments just want a cash grab on anything they can.

If a species existed that were more intelligent than us on Earth, I sure wouldn't want them to chase me down and shoot me up for fun.

Just as species evolve over generations, so should society and culture. Sport hunting is no longer a rite of passage. If people really have a 'bloodlust' to satisfy, they should join their militaries as soldiers and pick up their guns to fight against their enemies (humans themselves). Not pussing out by using modern, advanced-tech equipment and guns to chase lesser animals just wanting to live another day. Don't kill unless you're willing to die, if hunters want a true "rite of passage", then do it on equal terms.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    16d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    I agree with OP and was to echo her reasoning.

Killing other intelligent life for pleasure is cruel and unnecessary. We already farm enough livestock for such purposes in first world countries. Back in the day, it was required to survive, but now it's just sadistic, yet its acceptable as long as you pay for a "license to kill" (007, pew pew). The governments just want a cash grab on anything they can.

If a species existed that were more intelligent than us on Earth, I sure wouldn't want them to chase me down and shoot me up for fun.

Just as species evolve over generations, so should society and culture. Sport hunting is no longer a rite of passage. If people really have a 'bloodlust' to satisfy, they should join their militaries as soldiers and pick up their guns to fight against their enemies (humans themselves). Not pussing out by using modern, advanced-tech equipment and guns to chase lesser animals just wanting to live another day. Don't kill unless you're willing to die, if hunters want a true "rite of passage", then do it on equal terms.
    I think you would enjoy this entry :

(you need an account to see links)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pestix For This Useful Post:

Mod (11-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Lol yesterday I was at bass pro with my little brother looking at all the bows and the gnarly arrow tips talking about how we're going to go hunt when he's 16 in 4 years.

I don't see an issue with hunting, I've never even hunted before unless you count catching lizards that came into the house as hunting. I see that hunting has it's benefits, like for deer populations, boar is especially bad and invasive, and things like pythons here in FL. Even recently they auctioned off the tag to kill a rhino, but the rhino in question was one that was old af and preventing younger males access to females. So the preserve gets $$ and they cull a specimen that was hampering breeding. I guess it depends on the context of the hunt.

u 'mirin?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I won't date a hunter. My exhusband was lucky that he had never hunted when it came time for me to consider marrying him.

Like @(you need an account to see links), I was quite the indoor lizard catcher... but I always released 'em living. Though I will not hesitate -- unless from fear -- to kill a roach or some other creepy/crawly that's worked it's way into my house.

(you need an account to see links) went viral. Have you seen it?
    One of the commenters wrote, "deer and duck don't mourn their dead. Elephants are smart, sensitive animals - like humans only smart and sensitive."
    I don't know if deer/duck mourn or not, but I do remember being taught in school that elephants won't abandon their sick/eldery.

When I think about all of the meat on shelves that spoils, much like the vegetables that turn rotten, it seems evident to me that there is plenty available for us to eat without unnecessary slaughter. We're supposed to be civilized. What has made us into zealous abattoirs?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Skarl, I saw that picture last weekend and it made me so sick. I don't see how anyone can take enjoyment from killing an elephant or an animal that is so much like a human. My dad went to Thailand a few months ago and one day he got to spend a whole day with a few elephants. They were super playful, intelligent and gentle. There was even a baby that was a bit of a troublemaker and completely adorable and super smart. I'm sure this elephant was no exception. Hell, he was EATING when they killed him. Completely defenseless. And they're smiling in the photo like it was an accomplishment. Disgusting. I hope karma comes back to bite them in the asses. I hope their friends and family recognize them in that photo and give them so much shit about it. They are animals themselves.

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    More perspective on the picture.
    Why are people especially mad about the elephant eating, deer are hunted while they're eating too. My favorite levels in hunting unlimited 20xx were the elephant levels. A lot of times I died
    What made us into zealous abattoirs? We've always hunted as long as we existed, nothing suddenly made people interested in it.

u 'mirin?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

Banannie (03-03-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Miri View Post
    We've always hunted as long as we existed, nothing suddenly made people interested in it.
    I agree that we've hunted since the beginning of our time. As a vegetarian, I even (surprisingly) agree that people need to eat meat to be healthy. What isn't necessary, to me, is hunting for sport. As I mentioned before, our shelves are filled with hundreds of pounds of meat that spoils each month. Unlike vegetables, this spoilage represents lives that were taken away that could've been -- at least -- prolonged until a more opportune time for their death for consumption.

If our grocery stores and other meat markets already have a plethora of goods available, I don't think there's a necessity for hunt. For that reason, the hunt has become sport... and if I were to spend my time tracking another creature to kill, I'd much rather it be a human. I realize that with deer and other critters a population reduction is often justified (and don't know the statistical data to disagree with that reasoning), but I think that those that then hunt the deer should be like Honey Boo-Boo's family and consume every piece of their kill.

Seeing images like this on the internet frustrates me:
    Meat is necessary for health, but hunting -- as indicated by the topic title -- is now a sport.

If the human race is so evolved as to prolong it's life through medical science and live in a shelter with controllable air temperatures throughout the year at will, surely other aspects of society should progress, too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skarl For This Useful Post:

Maki (11-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Following the elephant picture, I found a whole gallery full of them:

Look at these poor animals, those lions sprawled on mounds of sand Poor, poor things.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    12d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I actually favor hunting over slaughter houses.

In some states, its necessary due to a lack of predators and an over abundance of food. Humans are predators, and as long as we make it fair and balanced then I see no problem with it. Animals deserve our respect, and don't deserve to be tortured or breed specifically to be eaten.

I would much rather hunted meat or vitro meat (meat produced in a lab) than that of a cow/chicken that has lived a terrible cramped life in a warehouse.
    Last edited by Blazingchampion; 11-27-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    I am a human being, nothing human is alien to me.