Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    2d 13h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Student Loans worth it ?

So, College is just around the corner, and i'v never been in the best financial standing. So are student loans worth it ?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    If you cant afford to pay for college, how else do you plan on getting by?
    Student loans suck ass, I won't lie to you. But it's just something you gotta do. =\
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    69d 4h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    No way around it really if you need to pay for school. A lot of money out there in grants & scholarship monies

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    13d 10h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Some smarter kids invest the student loan money. Might be worth looking in to, if of course you don't actually need it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I've been wondering the same question. My dream school is $60,000 a year but state schools are $16,000. Is it worth the extra money to go to the school I like better and can actually see myself going to, or is it not worth being over $100,000 in debt once I graduate and then going to grad school and being even more in debt?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    So, College is just around the corner, and i'v never been in the best financial standing. So are student loans worth it ?
    The interest rate is fixed and like one third (or less) of what youngings who haven't yet solidified themselves in the workforce will get on any other financial document, so from that aspect, it's a fantastic option. A good idea would be -- if you can afford to be frugal -- to only accept what money you need each semester, rather than maximizing your loans. That way once you graduate the debt isn't tremendous (and you stuck with nothing to show for it!).

I just~ started taking student loans. I fought it tooth and nail, but drained my savings and realized that taking a semester off to work (and pay off the debt I incur from going to school) isn't good time allocation.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    I've been wondering the same question. My dream school is $60,000 a year but state schools are $16,000. Is it worth the extra money to go to the school I like better and can actually see myself going to, or is it not worth being over $100,000 in debt once I graduate and then going to grad school and being even more in debt?
    You could take all of the credits that will transfer nationally at a community college to save money (if you're willing to sacrifice your pride) and finish out an Associate's and whatever other courses your 'dream' school -- or any four+ year, accredited institution requires -- and save bundles of cash! Then when you graduate with your Bachelor's or better the institution that you take pride in will still be listed at that bottom line and you'll have been cheap about the pathway toward your graduate stride.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarl View Post
    You could take all of the credits that will transfer nationally at a community college to save money (if you're willing to sacrifice your pride) and finish out an Associate's and whatever other courses your 'dream' school -- or any four+ year, accredited institution requires -- and save bundles of cash! Then when you graduate with your Bachelor's or better the institution that you take pride in will still be listed at that bottom line and you'll have been cheap about the pathway toward your graduate stride.
    The college I want to go to doesn't take the credits from the community college near me, and I plan on doing pre-med so a lot of the prerequisites classes aren't offered at the community college either /: I just don't know if going to a $60,000 school is worth it, even though my parents saved me $20,000 a year so I would have to get $40,000 a year instead of $60,000

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    12 times
    Time Online
    12d 19h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Depends on what you're majoring in, what career you'd like to attain, ect. More popular schools are mostly good for networking. Another thing to consider is are you going to get your masters as well? or Doctorates?

I have a friend who went to an instate school for his bachelors, and went to Harvard for his masters. I have another friend who went to Brown, and got their masters at a local affordable state university.
    I am a human being, nothing human is alien to me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    415 times
    Time Online
    30d 7h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    The college I want to go to doesn't take the credits from the community college near me, and I plan on doing pre-med so a lot of the prerequisites classes aren't offered at the community college either /: I just don't know if going to a $60,000 school is worth it, even though my parents saved me $20,000 a year so I would have to get $40,000 a year instead of $60,000
    Strange that Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and other science courses wouldn't transfer from a community college. Maybe it's not accredited? Have you researched whether or not it offers those core classes? You can always check to see if credits transfer (you need an account to see links). CCU had that information readily available for me at the bottom of their transfer student page ((you need an account to see links), but it's not really useful to you, ).

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blazingchampion View Post
    I have a friend who went to an instate school for his bachelors, and went to Harvard for his masters. I have another friend who went to Brown, and got their masters at a local affordable state university.
    My ex went to Brown after completing his Associate's at community college. I originally wanted to go to Duke. Instead I stayed in-state and attended an institution that was -- at that time -- number three in the nation for biochemistry. Now I'm happy to stay in my hometown and be a cheap-ass...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarl View Post
    Strange that Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and other science courses wouldn't transfer from a community college. Maybe it's not accredited? Have you researched whether or not it offers those core classes? You can always check to see if credits transfer (you need an account to see links). CCU had that information readily available for me at the bottom of their transfer student page ((you need an account to see links), but it's not really useful to you, )
    Yeah, when I met with the admissions people from the college I want to go to they said its because with AP credits I'm not taking the basic level science classes that I could take at a community college. They gave me a list of the classes I'd most likely take freshman and sophomore year and some weren't offered at the community college near me anyways. That's why I feel like it might be better to go to a school in state that would accept some credits from community college, but my parents also don't really want me to go to community college so that's part of it too.