DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    My english teacher is nice, but she doesn't realize that our class is not fully bilingual and she makes us doing things we never even know about. My grades went from A to C+ and so is the average

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This year, my english teacher is decent. She's unintelligent, but she likes me (every other student in my class is about as dumb as a rock), so yeah. Boring. I should have taken AP English this year, like I did the last, but I guess it's too late now. Last year was pretty ridiculous. The students were fine, sure, but the teacher made us analyze every little thing. Every detail of a story is/has to be symbolic. It was annoying as heck, but I guess it was a /bit/ helpful.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    167/0
    Mentioned
    156 times
    Time Online
    6d 17h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    for now I'm just a basic English
    (some vocabulary, a lot of grammar and some writing)
    I would like to study English another place

PS: my English teacher say: "shh! Be quiet..." and we never never talk
    (my English improved, ouh yeah)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This remains to be the case all throughout the schooling system, unfortunately. As an undergraduate English student, I can tell you that it certainly carries on at college level and above.

The way I approach the subject is quite removed from the Freudian "symbol-searching" perspective which has dominated mainstream criticism in the recent past. Why would we keep a Freudian perspective when Freud is ridiculed in his own sphere of study? There is no reason for English students to be forced to use outdated, practically irrelevant borrowings from other subjects, when they could easily be provided with the tools to create a more contemporary view.

When I write an essay, I always try to use philosophy, sociology and psychology which people would not be ashamed to use elsewhere.
    Fatality.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Interesting, what sort of sociology and psychology do you use in an English paper about a difficult to interpret work of Shakespeare? The intent of an English prof in assigning that paper is to have students search for the symbols and meanings within the confusing text.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    Interesting, what sort of sociology and psychology do you use in an English paper about a difficult to interpret work of Shakespeare? The intent of an English prof in assigning that paper is to have students search for the symbols and meanings within the confusing text.
    My latest Shakespeare essay cited contemporary psychology/psychiatry, using The Tempest to discuss similarities between imagination and schizophrenia. If you'd like to hear more about it, I'd be happy to PM you: I'm thinking about publishing the essay at some point (once I can spend a bit more time working on it), so I can't post it here.

"Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises."
    Fatality.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I have had some pretty crappy English teachers, but I've had a couple of good ones, too. I do agree, though, that a lot of the symbolism they look for in various forms of media is generally overkill. When I write, I write because it's fun, not because I want to convey some deep and meaningful message that I hint at every second paragraph. xD;

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    50 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I totally agree about how writing essays about accidental symbols and stuff is stupid. Key to writing essays is being able to bullshit stuff lol.
    I also dislike how some teachers prohibit sexual material in essays.
    (you need an account to see links) (might not be appropriate for younger people but its just words)
    That essay was a good essay but got a 0% because of its topic.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @(you need an account to see links)

That's quite a poor essay, subject aside: the wording seems very confused, which is no wonder considering that the author is probably trying to use technical language for the humorous effect.

There's prohibiting sexual content, and then there's drawing a line at basing the essay around something like that. At high-school level and above, it would be very damaging to prohibit the discussion of sexuality - in fact, it would put a lot of English teachers out of business - but that essay is obviously just a comic non-example.
    Fatality.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    My latest Shakespeare essay cited contemporary psychology/psychiatry, using The Tempest to discuss similarities between imagination and schizophrenia. If you'd like to hear more about it, I'd be happy to PM you: I'm thinking about publishing the essay at some point (once I can spend a bit more time working on it), so I can't post it here.
    Sure, PM me. I know a fair deal about Schizophrenia, both the symptoms and biological basis so I would be interested.