Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m

Take a moment - Remembrance / Veterans Day

Srs post ahead:

Today is November 11th (2013), which means it's Remembrance and Veterans Day (in the US).

Most of us are ordinary citizens who aren't concerned with the military or war, we give them glancing opinions when we see something on the news, or give disapproval to our government's actions towards them. But nonetheless, they exist and are always working to protect our own freedoms and ways of life. Pacifists will argue and disapprove of it. But in any case, family, friends, and strangers are suiting up and/or carrying guns every day to protect us against threats and afford us this stability and comfort...to think of such hippie things. The world isn't such a nice place; diplomacy hides that reality well. But if any aggressor nation had reason to believe they could conquer another uncontested, they surely would even to this day.

Particularly to kids/teens, particularly to the general populace like ourselves, we forget the meaning of this holiday and use it as another day off to party or have a good laugh. I am against the former, but have no qualms towards the latter. Regardless, I believe it's important to remind ourselves why we have this day and take a small moment in the very least to be grateful for what soldiers in the military do, if you don't already do so at other times of the year.

I will admit as a kid in Elementary school and a teen myself, I didn't pay much attention to this day or see the importance of it; other than having to hear a trumpet being played, a moment of silence where I zoned out, and wearing fake plastic poppies (sometimes playing with them or poking friends with them). It wasn't until I started living on my own and becoming acquainted with world affairs, seeing life for what it really is that it hit me what those people do to give us what we have. I don't blame you if you don't share my same thoughts about this, just be respectful if so.

They put their lives on the line; it's an inherent dogma of the "military" way. Exist to crush opposition and kill when diplomacy fails. Be it on the front line as Infantry, or on-base as intelligence officers. Even if they never see battle, they spend days away from family and friends. The meaning of these holidays is not just to mourn and appreciate our forefathers, grandparents, and loved ones who've passed on, but also to give respect to those currently serving and those who will in the future (in my opinion).

You might argue that it's currently peacetime without major conflicts or war, so there is no need to salute them. Again refer to my last paragraph. To commemorate those who've fought in the past, those who've died, those who are serving, and those who will. Why only remember those who've already died? Appreciate those who are living too. Yes, soldiers/military personnel get paid better than the average person and have an easier job during peacetime. But nonetheless, soldiers die everyday from skirmishes around the world, and their occupations usually thrust them closer to death than anyone else. Lastly, remember: we're only living in peace because it was the victory gained from war.

A few images to perhaps initiate reflection based on what I've said, and compare what we have now because of these people's actions
    (warning: might tear up - SRS):

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Air (11-11-2013),baileaf (11-11-2013),Ghosts (11-11-2013),Jules (11-11-2013),Lavendrae (11-11-2013),Maki (11-11-2013),Miri (11-11-2013),Raj (11-12-2013),Soul (11-12-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 times
    Time Online
    37d 18h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    Mod, this was beautiful. Totally made me tear up. <3

Thanks Anne <3

S W E E T S

Thanks Minty and Fruity! <3

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baileaf For This Useful Post:

Air (11-11-2013),Mod (11-11-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 8m
    Thanks for posting this, Mod.

At school today we had an assembly for the whole school, one grade at a time, and it was just embarrassing. Kids were talking the whole time, you could hear people giggling at the back, poppies were just being dropped on the floor, kids trying to wave to their friends during the presentations... and the whole time there was a row of veterans in the front. During the moment of silence some guys even started playing "the penis game", which is basically people taking turns yelling out the word penis, each time louder than the other person. I'm sure the veterans thought we were the most disrespectful people ever.

Like come on guys, I'm fine with screwing around any other day, but this is the one time I don't like it. I just don't know how these people have such little respect.

As a side note, that missing your old friends picture... I don't know but that one struck me.
    Last edited by Ghosts; 11-11-2013 at 10:35 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

Air (11-11-2013),baileaf (11-12-2013),Maki (11-11-2013),Mod (11-11-2013),simmie (11-12-2013),Soul (11-12-2013)