1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

Pharmacy technician? +rep

Long story short in this class, we went on a site where you take quizzes and whatnot (career cruising), to find out what career might suit you. I have to do a powerpoint on it, and basically I have no idea what a Pharmaceutical Tech would even do, really. I got the gist of it on the site, but I just want some firsthand info on it, and how long it takes to become one, obstacles in becoming one, etc.

If anyone here actually does or used to do that, I will +fullrep for your time. c: thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    125 times
    Time Online
    21d 23h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I'm a pharmacy technician and I've also volunteered at a hospital pharmacy for over 4 years now c:
    if you send me questions, i can try to help you out
    i'm not good at just writing about it without questions tho haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lavendrae For This Useful Post:

simmie (11-09-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Basic job of a Pharm Tech:

Everything other than checking over the efficacy of the drug dose vs. patient, give instructions and advice upon pickup, recommendations and prescription of drugs (if pharmacists are allowed to, dep. on where you live). Pretty much everything except the thinking of drug-specific knowledge.

Examples of this are:

-Cleaning up
    -Taking prescriptions
    -Taking payments
    -Tending to phone calls unless the pharmacist is required
    -Organizing stock
    -Sorting and filling prescriptions

There are 2 ways to become a pharm tech:

1. Just apply-in without formal training; some places take people in like that and they're trained over time to become proficient in the job; hence some are even just high school graduates.
    2. Some technical/trade schools offer specialized diploma programs for pharm tech, usually lasting 1-2 years, including a semester of practicals at a real pharmacy. This isn't necessary, but gives you official certification and an easier time finding a pharm tech job if it's competitive in your area.

Obstacles to become one are:

-Getting the job
    -Being able to have good memory and multitask, because at peak hours, things get really busy where you have to do different tasks at once like filling prescriptions, taking dropoffs, consulting pharmacists, getting the phone, etc.
    -You need to be patient with others (at least in retail pharmacies). It's a pretty high stress job if you're not good at taking criticism. There are lot of disgruntled and piss angry customers who will rage at you in-person and over phone everyday; whether it was your fault, a problem with the doc prescription, drug out of stock, trying to get drugs for fun, insurance issues, etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Bettser (11-09-2013),simmie (11-09-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 7m
    Im a pharmacy tech also, feel free to mail any questions. And @(you need an account to see links) nailed it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

Mod (11-09-2013),simmie (11-10-2013)