More like a guide dump for myself, but this is mainly here for other cK members who have asked me how to make certain things (mainly desserts) and up here for their reference, and for others to see. Iv’e tested all these recopies and used them time after time, so I hope you can enjoy them as much as my family and I do!
Monday, October 21st: Pie!
Made for @Mojo. She eats all the pies after i'm done taking photos of them, btw.
First off, one needs the good basis to any pie: the Pie crust. This is a simple, single crust recepie (useful for pumpkin pies, quiches and other tarts), although it can be doubled to make regular pies, such as apple.
•1 & 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
•˝ teaspoon salt
•Ľ cup cold shortening
•Ľ cup cold butter
•3-6 tablespoons of ice cold water
One thing I would like to take a note of before making pie dough, you need to make sure everything is well-chilled! This includes your flour, salt, and even the materials you’re working with!
1.Put the flour and salt in a bowl. Put in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, so it gets cold.
2.Chop up the butter and shortening into chunks. Add into your flour mixture.
3.Using a pastry cutter (or a fork), mash in the butter and shortening into your flour. Use your hands a bit to incorporate the butter/shortening into the flour, until the flour looks somewhat like a yellowish, sandy beach.
4.Put in half of the minimum amout of water (1 ˝ tablespoons), and incorporate the water into your flour mixture. Press down the chunks into the bottom of your bowl. Add in more water until the dough can be held together. Put in the fridge for 6 hours, upto overnight.
Now, time for making it! (For real)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground or grated fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (Dickinson pumpkin is the best)
1.Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Convection ovens take less time.
2.Flour the surface you will be rolling your dough on lightly, along with your rolling pin. Roll out your dough in the same direction (Up and down), while rotating and flipping over your dough constantly. This is to prevent sticking, very important!
3.When you have rolled out your dough, roll it onto your rolling pin, like in the picture. hold the side with your thumb, to prevent it from slipping.
4.Press in your pie dough into your pan. Make sure you have a *tiny* bit of overhang, as your pie crust will shrink a bit.
Pie Filling1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, and two sugars. You should get something that looks like this:
2.Add in your salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Your mixture should look a little darker. Gradually stir in your Milk.
3.Add in your pumpkin. I notice at this step, you have to mix really hard, in order to incorporate your pumpkin. About 5 minutes of stirring max will do.
4.Pour in your pumpkin mixture into your pie shell. Don't fill it all the way to the top, as it can overflow. Pour it so you see about 1-2cm of crust.
5.Put it on a baking sheet, as sometimes filling (especially apple pie filling) leaks. Bake your pie for 45 minutes. This is a custard Pie, so when a knife is inserted into the middle of your pie, and no filling clings to it, your pie is ready.
Annnnd, here's your finished product!
i kinda uglied it at the end
I have been making this pie for my family for about 3 years now, with success time after time. I really hope your family can enjoy this as well! <3
Next week: Brownies for @Ghosts & @katzes c;
Last edited by simmie; 10-21-2013 at 07:48 PM.
I'm usually not a fan of pumpkin desserts, but your pie looks delicious! I might even bake one for myself.
Thanks @Simmie! <3 I can't wait for your brownies recipe!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Simmie again.
Sorry D: Remind me to rep you later!
Nice recipe. I'll definitely try it! (as in get someone to make it for me so I can try it)
October 25: Pizza!
Made for @Mod ^___^
Something iv’e been making for a long time, actually. And requested by others, too! Lots of people have been asking me how to make it from scratch, so here it is!
•3 cups flour
•1 ˝ teaspoons salt
•1 teaspoon sugar
•1 ˝ cups warm water
•1 packet yeast/ 2 ˝ teaspoons yeast
•Olive oil (Although vegetable works well)
1.In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour.
Your dough should look risen, like this. Leaving it to rise for longer will make it puffier, though.
Now, making legit pizza~
You will need:
- One recipe for pizza dough
- Pizza sauce (Pasta sauce works just as well)
- Upto three toppings of your choice
- 2 1/2 cups cheese (Mozzarella, cheddar and marble cheese work best)
- Italian seasoning (Optional)
- Roll out your pizza dough onto a lightly floured surface. Adding too much flour won't let your dough stretch out.
- Transfer the dough onto a pan, either square or circular. Cut off the excess dough, leaving a bit of an overhang if you like a more defined crust.
- Fold the edges into a crust shape, if you have overhang. Spread your sauce onto the pizza.
- Sprinkle on half your cheese onto your pizza, along with your toppings.
- Sprinkle on the other half of the cheese, and your Italian seasonings. (If applicable)
- Bake your pizza at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
You know I like my sweet baked goods, but my true vice is, and always will be...
Sim, I now officially designate you as...
Sorry for the lack of update, been feeling horrible lately.
Brownies, by defenition are actually another type of quickbread, being made and eaten within the hour, and our leavening agent being baking powder. Many people ask how to make this, but have the crucial mistake of turning your brownies into chocolate cake. So without further interruption, here we go @Ghosts & @katzes!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder (No, you cannot use hot chocolate mix.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Making them yay
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Do this 10 minutes before you bake.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a small bowl; set aside
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in cocoa.
- After, add in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Please note at this stage of mixing, mix minimally. Overmixing will put too much air in it, and air=cake.
- Blend in dry ingerdients. Add in either 1/2 cup chopped nuts or semi-sweet chocolate chips (Optional)
- Pour batter into greased pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Last edited by simmie; 10-30-2013 at 04:31 PM.
omg @Simmie thanks so much for this awesome brownies recipe. <3 I'm totally gonna do this this weekend.