86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m

emcee'ing!

auditioning to be an emcee at a talent show with a male friend of mine

tips? etc
    they want a 2-3 minute script/skit thing

So far I have the intro and it goes like this:

John: Is it too late to sign up for the talent show?
    Ariel: Yeah… kind of.
    John: Aren’t all these people here to watch my audition?
    Ariel: No, they’re actually here to watch the talent show. Speaking of which, welcome everybody to school’s annual talent show!
    John: ...featuring me!
    Ariel: Actually, it’s featuring school’s own very talented students.
    John: What? There’s more talented people than me? *hair flip*
    Ariel: Yeah! People like John Smith, who will be singing for us right now!
    John: Okay, give it up for John Smith!

I'm worried it's not going to be good/fun/long enough. Are there any necessary elements of an intro that I'm missing?
    Last edited by Poem; 10-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Firstly, it'd be safer to edit out names and school names for your own privacy.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Your intro is alright; it's competitive, but not mind-blowing.

Usually, you'll want a strong, unique hook.

I don't know how stringent your school's audition policies are, but what you have right now sounds a bit corny and overused.
    You're the same age as your fellow students, you know what they want. You know what they find funny. Try to have something like that to get the laughter going.
    ^If the audition judges are old farts though, then you'll probably want to stay classic and not have any references to things they won't understand.

As for style of dialogue and transitions, scripture is a good basis, but spontaneity is equally important (if not more-so). Go with the flow, incorporate dialogue in which you would normally think/speak during the event - again, to fit more at home with your "fellow students". This comes later though if you land the job; it's not necessary for an audition script.

---

I personally found corny, clearly rehearsed MCing very boring back in my HS days - pushing the edge (without getting into trouble) is the way to go.
    ...then again, there wasn't much competition or high standards for those types of positions in my HS; basically if it was appropriate and looked complete, you'd get the job anyways.

What do you think is the level of competition for your talent show MC position? That should be the answer to how hard you should try on your audition.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    @(you need an account to see links)

So how do you think I should go about the intro? You're right, students are judging. And the competition level is high-insane.
    I agree with spontaneity; however, I think the audition should be scripted.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Poem View Post
    So how do you think I should go about the intro? You're right, students are judging. And the competition level is high-insane.
    Umm, consider about how you would normally go about thinking of the the talent show announcement with your friend.

What do you imagine or feel? Excited?
    Then think of an outlandish, but plausible humorous scenario to add in.

The key is to try to mimic natural reactions and possibilities, if you understand me on this.

---

-If you think of a story and laugh at it yourself, or imagine watching someone else perform it and laughing yourself, then that's a good idea. Better yet is to ask for your friends' opinions.
    -If your idea only makes you smile or chuckle, then it probably isn't a really memorable skit for anyone else either (assuming you are amused by the same jokes as your classmates).

Also play at and include references, pop culture, (appropriate) slang, etc. that your classmates would dig.

Personally, I find swearing and vulgar/slang terms hilarious if used tastefully, because it mimics real-life conversation with people our age.
    But be wary due to stricter policies in HS, so it might be a no go.

Since I don't know how things run in your school or specific talent show info, I can't give any specific ideas for you, however.