82/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    30d 14h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I'll give you my heart mint. <3

When we get our drivers license here they ask if we want to become organ donors, but I guess a system that has everyone as a donor unless they opt out is a better system.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Broken For This Useful Post:

Maki (10-20-2013)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociopath View Post
    I'd like a opt out system but then I'd feel empathetic to the people overseas making $300k per heart....now that's a bad ass black market.
    Elaborate on this?

& Thanks @(you need an account to see links), you got my back

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Elaborate on this?
    She was being half sarcastic, half serious.

---

Referring to countries where private (shady) organ sales/transplants exist; typically where state-regulated organ donor programs are insufficient.

People can sell their organs under the table for hard cash, or have organ "dealers" collect off others' body parts - much like selling drugs.

Just imagine back alley/basement operation rooms where people are getting hacked open,
    or some shady doctor whose lost his medical license, operating with garage tools and kitchen utensils as exaggerated imagery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Sociopath (10-20-2013)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    She was being half sarcastic, half serious.

---

Referring to countries where private (shady) organ sales/transplants exist; typically where state-regulated organ donor programs are insufficient.

People can sell their organs under the table for hard cash, or have organ "dealers" collect off others' body parts - much like selling drugs.

Just imagine back alley/basement operation rooms where people are getting hacked open,
    or some shady doctor whose lost his medical license, operating with garage tools and kitchen utensils as exaggerated imagery.
    Oh I didn't get it, thanks for clarifying!
    Guess that business would take a hit lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Elaborate on this?

& Thanks @(you need an account to see links), you got my back
    Basically what Mod said. People in the US can go over to some where like China where you can buy organs more freely.

It depends on the country. It's been a long time since I've watched the documentary I watched but I remember an American guy dropping something crazy like $300k on a heart. It was from an executed prisoner. The executions over there happen much, much more and therefore supply for organs is higher. I looked it up and it's now illegal to sell to organs in China but I think the law was "open to interpretation" at the time of this documentary. The guy took out a loan and I think it was very clean and done in a respectable hospital. But @(you need an account to see links) is right. Some places it's really sketchy/dirty and people sell kidneys for macbooks type thing or to pay their bills.

They probably changed the law because of the documentary...but it probably still goes on. It had a heavy focus on how clean it was to do in China. I can't imagine a place like that wasting money off someone they were going to execute anyways.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    137/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    12d 17h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I'm all for it and it should be opt-out only on religious grounds. Having a family friend who has cystic fibrosis receive a lung transplant 2 weeks ago and seeing the improvement already I don't see why people wouldn't want to help give someone a second chance.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 15h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    has anyone read "unwind" before?
    it's a book set in a society where some teenagers are forced to become organ donors (when they're alive)
    and how some of these people try to escape their fate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smileyface For This Useful Post:

Maki (10-22-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    35/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    7d 11h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I heard of the cases from my friend who are EMT telling me (they been told my their senior staff) whenever there is an catastrophic accident (survival chance is less than some %), they sometimes check your licenses to see if you are an organ donor. If you are, they probably won't attempt to rescue you. I know it's going to sound cruel and immoral, but just pointing that out. I'm also opt out for organ donor. Hopefully stem cell project will evolve one day to the point we will no longer need donation from another person.
    My First Guide on [GM] Score Sending

My Second Guide on How to AoB (Array of Bytes) Habitarium

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by janikanicolepi View Post
    I heard of the cases from my friend who are EMT telling me (they been told my their senior staff) whenever there is an catastrophic accident (survival chance is less than some %), they sometimes check your licenses to see if you are an organ donor. If you are, they probably won't attempt to rescue you. I know it's going to sound cruel and immoral, but just pointing that out. I'm also opt out for organ donor. Hopefully stem cell project will evolve one day to the point we will no longer need donation from another person.
    As a former EMT, I assure you this is bullshit. You work to save every person you can, and you usually don't go through their wallets to find their insurance cards/driver's license until you have them stabilized and on their way to the hospital.

I worked as an EMT for three years, and I never checked to see if they were an organ donor.

That being said, motorcycle accidents and car accidents are great candidates for organ donation because they tend to otherwise have been very healthy and young. And if you ride a motorcycle and have your brains are smeared on the pavement, the rest of you is still fine!
    There are no girls on the internet.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to osiyo For This Useful Post:

Maki (10-22-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by osiyo View Post
    As a former EMT, I assure you this is bullshit. You work to save every person you can, and you usually don't go through their wallets to find their insurance cards/driver's license until you have them stabilized and on their way to the hospital.

I worked as an EMT for three years, and I never checked to see if they were an organ donor.

That being said, motorcycle accidents and car accidents are great candidates for organ donation because they tend to otherwise have been very healthy and young. And if you ride a motorcycle and have your brains are smeared on the pavement, the rest of you is still fine!
    You know whats bullshit? The fact an ambulence company charged me $1100 TWO TIMES because they took me like 3 miles two times. Ridiculous.

With that you all are capable of anything.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sociopath For This Useful Post:

Banannie (01-15-2014)