Thread: Tips for passing drivers liscense test?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    35d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m

Tips for passing drivers liscense test?

Alright, so I just failed my drivers liscense test for the 3rd time. And it's always for different things. The first time went alright, only I was driving too slowly and the examinator really was a pain (and I'm not just saying that). Second time was not so bad either, but I was driving too fast this time (especially when approaching crossings.. I felt it wasn't that big of a deal but still failed so yeah). And just then I failed because my 'planning' wasn't okay. Not anticipating/preparing for situation and all. All three times, I didn't make any major mistakes so this whole thing is kind of getting me down. This is costing me loads of money and loads of time and frankly I don't have either plus it's just getting plain embarrassing. I start to feel like a complete failure, a danger on the road, while in truth I'm not /that/ bad of a driver really. I wasn't even /really/ nervous for the tests. It's just that I'm naturally very quiet so it gets kind of awkward in the car which gets on my nerves.
    Next time I seriously feel like smoking a good joint on beforehand to calm me nerves and help me concentrate (yeah I know) because I feel I have trouble concetrating during the test, but this doesn't sound like a constructive solution.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with failing a drivers liscense test multiple times, and if anyone has some ideas for me to help me do better next time?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I would ask you to calm down, but clearly that isn't happening without calling up Mary Jane, which you shouldn't do anyways - they might immediately disqualify you if they smell it.

Remember your past mistakes, every action you take in the car, think before you act that it's the correct action.
    Be wide awake and alert, always looking around your surroundings, in your mirrors, and notice how you're driving.

1. When driving, drive at near the speed limit, within 3-5 kph of the speed limit (maybe 2-3 mph if you do miles instead). Always. That way you won't be speeding or too slow; of course this means you'll have to always glance at your speedo to check.

2. Secondly, pay fucking attention to the signs on the side of the road. You're good for slim pickens if you suddenly enter a school zone without decreasing speed, rolling past a stop sign, or enter a freeway without noticing to increase speed. Failing to notice signs are among the easiest ways for your examiners to dock you points or fail you.

3. Use common sense when entering areas of high human activity, like near crosswalks or passing strip malls. People often just jut out and jaywalk, so...

4. Parking, particularly parallel parking takes a lot of steps when you're not familiar with it yet. If you're fuzzy on how to park, brush up on that. Parking is often the most difficult and complex task when you're first tested for your driver's.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Snow (09-30-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    The things I was made aware of prior to my driving test was to always come to a *COMPLETE* stop at a stop sign, just slowing down to a couple mph/kph isn't good enough. Stay 2-3 mph/kph s below the limit. If your examiner tells you you're going too slow, they suck at their job. The rest follows what mod said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saru For This Useful Post:

Snow (09-30-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    48 times
    Time Online
    35d 14h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I'm not even sure if it'd be illegal where I'm from but yeah. :c It's just that I get so frustrated with the examinators, they've all been stiff old nitpickers so far. I'm not sure if grass would improve my driving but a spliff would definitely help with the frustration (I've got like this huge cloud of negative energy around me in the car)

Anyways, thanks so much for your ideas, you're a doll, it's very helpful. Yeah I do feel my main problem is that I'm not thinking enough in the car, I'm being too laid back in a sense, I got this 'whatevs, I don't care'-attitude about me while at the same time being too frustrated to concentrate on the traffic around me.

@Saku: I'll try and remember that, thanks! And yeah, I really hated the examinator for not letting me pass for 'going too slow' that first time... especially considering my brother passed for his first try, while making the same mistake. The two tests that followed actually went worse than my first time (when I really only failed because the examinator was a stupid fuck), which only adds to my frustration.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    19d 18h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Bad examiners are usually always the cause of failure. I had the worst examiner of all, but apparently I look like her son so she went easy on me.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    57m
    Well, I got my license two years ago an actually, I live on a different countrie so my advises may not be as acurrated if I start talking about the speed that you should go and such on... but I'll help you with basic tips that may be helpful for you!

Starting, being relaxed is the main important thing, be nice with the examinator (you know, you don't need to talk while driving, but before starting, give a nice hello, good morning, smile, ask how he/she is today and be nice and adorable LOL! -really this works, even if the examinator is a evil demon, this will make a good start- ) ...in the end... is sad to say it, but it depends a lot of the examinator if you pass or not and how the person is feeling that day independient of your driving skills...

Try to practice before, go to places where there's not a lot of traffic and get confortable with the car

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    I'm not sure if grass would improve my driving but a spliff would definitely help with the frustration (I've got like this huge cloud of negative energy around me in the car)
    Yeah, no. Despite what some dumbasses say, driving high is just as bad as driving drunk.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    208 times
    Time Online
    30d 8h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Honestly, I'd just try and practice more and more with a licensed driver around the area you will be testing at. It may help calm your nerves if you're familiar.

Pronouns
    he/him/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    57d 14h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    I failed mine twice before I finally got it, all because I couldn't back up into a parking space haha. I went back to get extra lessons just in backing up into parking spaces and finally passed. I went out for driving lessons with my father and picked up some of his bad habits, such as rolling through stop signs (I was nailed for that on my first test as well) and eye-balling the backing into parking spaces. There was a trick using your mirrors that I learned from the teacher that I used on my 3rd test that I passed.

Some general tips I learned while being on the road years later:
    -Don't rush to get going when a red light turns green. It's always good to make a quick glance at the intersection because I find a lot of people try to make a quick right turn on red without fully stopping right before you get back driving. Hastiness could cause you to smash into them.

-Make very quick glances at all your mirrors often. It takes milliseconds and lets you know who is around you. I always feel safe knowing who is beside and in back of me.

-Check your blind spots quickly before changing lanes by quickly turning your head to the side to look in back of you. Whole cars can be very hidden in your blind spot, unable to be seen in any of your mirrors.

-If I feel someone else is gonna make a stupid move, I prepare for it. A few times I could just tell that a guy was gonna pull out of a parking lot right into the road right in front of me, so I slowed down hundreds of feet ahead of time when I saw that he was inching slowly out into the road. I knew that guy wasn't gonna wait for me to pass. The slight slowing down gave me enough time to stop so he didn't T-Bone me.

-Be relaxed and confident. Not cocky confident, but you're in control of a weapon. You need to control the car and protect yourself and others, the car shouldn't control you.

-Always use turn signals when changing lanes. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DON'T DO THIS.

-Pay attention to signs.

-Keep good distance away from cars in front of you. Gives you time to stop in case something happens to them. There's a good chart for how many car lengths away per mph but I forget what it is. I just estimate anyways and go with what I feel safe with. I know it's more cars lengths away the faster you go.

-Wear glasses/contacts if your vision is crap.

-Come to a full stop at stop signs. I got docked for rolling through one on my first test.

-Be careful in areas with high pedestrian activity. Pedestrians can be stupid. And even if what they did was completely their fault, you'll be the one paying their insurance because you were the one with the car.

-Stay within a couple mph/kph of the speed limit. Check it quickly often. It's hard to stay exactly the speed limit but don't fluctuate your speed. Drivers behind you will hate that as well.

-Keep both hands on the wheel on your test. I was afraid I was gonna get docked for scratching an itch on my face and I had to hold it! UGH!

If you're rusty on certain things, doesn't hurt to take another lesson on it. Like parallel parking (I didn't have to do this on my tests though, but I know some testers make you do it.) My first teacher was crap and sent me on an interstate on my 2nd lesson and I barely knew how to drive on a regular road. Scared the shit out of me!
    "when I say acab, I include tony p"

-Proverb, 2021

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    8d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    try switching schools. some schools do it to make profit