Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m

+Full REP to everyone who help me with this essay

Please, smart answers only, thank you.

My work is on the Crusades. I had to take a side about it, and I decided to be against it, meaning I have to find arguments about how bad the methods used were.

I have started, but I'm actually out of ideas.

So, if you can post here a few lines about why crusades should be considered as barbarians invasions, it would be great.
    +Full REP to everyone who give me serious infos.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    2d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Is this high school/college/what year? Do you need secondary sources?

Depending on what sort of evidence you need and other arguments you may have made I would bring information on the pillaging / complete sacking of basically anyone who opposed the crusaders. It's been awhile since I've studied the crusades from non-art historical angles but from what I remember there was considerable misconduct among the soldiers (including the raping of women).

I can help more, just let me know what kind of textual evidence you need and I can do some digging.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    Is this high school/college/what year? Do you need secondary sources?

Depending on what sort of evidence you need and other arguments you may have made I would bring information on the pillaging / complete sacking of basically anyone who opposed the crusaders. It's been awhile since I've studied the crusades from non-art historical angles but from what I remember there was considerable misconduct among the soldiers (including the raping of women).

I can help more, just let me know what kind of textual evidence you need and I can do some digging.
    I'm in Cegep (which only exists in Quebec lol, sorry), more serious than High School, but not University-level yet.

I do need secondary sources, but I can deal with it later and find something to do about it.
    However, most of my text can be personal based, so don't worry about it. I just need serious/valid arguments that make sense.

I'm currently talking about the fact the first goal were to go on holy lands and set Jerusalem free. However, I'm actually talking about how they ended up killing innocent people, burning villages + buildings and I'm also talking about the cannibalism so far.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    2d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post
    I'm in Cegep (which only exists in Quebec lol, sorry), more serious than High School, but not University-level yet.

I do need secondary sources, but I can deal with it later and find something to do about it.
    However, most of my text can be personal based, so don't worry about it. I just need serious/valid arguments that make sense.

I'm currently talking about the fact the first goal were to go on holy lands and set Jerusalem free. However, I'm actually talking about how they ended up killing innocent people, burning villages + buildings and I'm also talking about the cannibalism so far.
    Ah, okay! That's fine I was just trying to get a feel for what kind of writing you need to do.
    Just to be clear are you discussing the First Crusade or a later one?

Edit: Or rather - is there a specific Crusade you're discussing or is it just the Crusades in general?
    Last edited by Nyan; 09-29-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarification

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Ah, okay! That's fine I was just trying to get a feel for what kind of writing you need to do.
    Just to be clear are you discussing the First Crusade or a later one?
    I'm discussing the Crusades in general, from 1095 to 1291.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    2d 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Alright. Sorry it takes me a little to get my thoughts in order and I had to read a few things.

You could discuss the repercussions on the economy or art world.

The crusades were a major drain on Europe's finances. When the first crusaders left (many of who did not return) they sold most of their belongings to the point that it caused inflation. The money/gold/treasure needed to sustain the crusades came from rulers throughout Europe. Eventually the popes began shifting how they handled indulgences as well as implementing taxes. The mishandling of indulgences were eventually used as evidence against the Roman Catholic Church by Martin Luther. Therefore the crusades could be considered a reason for the Reformation. (The Crusades tore apart the very idea and institution that they were started for).

Let me get something on the art, but there's that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nyan For This Useful Post:

Cath (09-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Alright. Sorry it takes me a little to get my thoughts in order and I had to read a few things.

You could discuss the repercussions on the economy or art world.

The crusades were a major drain on Europe's finances. When the first crusaders left (many of who did not return) they sold most of their belongings to the point that it caused inflation. The money/gold/treasure needed to sustain the crusades came from rulers throughout Europe. Eventually the popes began shifting how they handled indulgences as well as implementing taxes. The mishandling of indulgences were eventually used as evidence against the Roman Catholic Church by Martin Luther. Therefore the crusades could be considered a reason for the Reformation. (The Crusades tore apart the very idea and institution that they were started for).

Let me get something on the art, but there's that.
    Thank you! I have enough infos with your post to end my essay, so you don't need to continue looking for extra infos.
    Thanks a bunch, you're saving my life. <3 will +REP