Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

My dog keeps crying lately. +rep

hi again~*~

I have a 5 year old cocker spaniel mix. She's lived with me from when she was a puppy, and overall she's a really sweet dog. rarely barks, has never bitten anyone before, and overall a nice tempermant. Problem is, she cries whenever I leave. And she never used to either. It's been ever since I started the 11th Grade. My mom and dad are home, but yet she still cries. And when I do get home about 7 hours later, she literally jumps all over me, follows me and won't let me out of her sight. I had to practically beg my parents to get the dog I have no, so getting another one is out of the question.

Any dog owners have this problem, and how can I solve this one? </3
    +rep for gud anwsers yes

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    42d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    You started 11th grade this year, right? It's probably because she was used to having you around longer during the summer, so now the "schedule" is kind of different?

When I take a couple of weeks off work during the winter holidays, my dog hangs around me 24/7 so when I go back to school/work, he cries like crazy for the first couple of weeks until he gets back into the schedule or w/e.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Started September 3rd, yes.
    It's funny; I was actually at work for the whole summer, or on vacation or babysitting. She never used to cry, and she never cried when I left for Grades 6-10.
    it's been about 3 weeks and my mom tells me she cries everyday. Not like a loud, annoying cry, but more like a pitiful whine+some tears.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    She spayed?

Maybe she's in heat and you're the alpha dog around those parts.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    1d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I think she'll get used to it after a few weeks ! My mom once told me that my dog sometimes waits at the front door after my brother leaves (he goes in university in another city, but comes back on weekends), but after a while he gets used to his absence (true story @(you need an account to see links) )

Try not give your dog attention even if she cries, and if possible, I think it'd be a good idea that your parents play with her/take a walk with her so she spends her energy ! If she's tired maybe she'll cry less

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pinkiwie For This Useful Post:

Cath (09-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    125 times
    Time Online
    21d 23h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I don't have a dog, but my kitten meows at me for attention all the time. It's excessive. I give him lots of love as it is and I'm barely out of the house for more than 4 hours a day. I've been told by an animal behaviorist to just ignore the cries; literally pretend they aren't there. Turn your back, don't make eye contact, etc. It's essentially retraining. Only praise the animal if it'd doing something you like, like being quiet for example. If you give it attention when it's crying, it'll associate crying with getting attention.
    It's gotten to a point where ignoring doesn't work because I wasn't consistent with it, so now I literally start hissing at my cat if he's meowing excessively to tell him to knock it off. It's working, though. I can't think of a dog equivalent, however.

You could try giving her treats each time you leave and/or set up some fun playthings for her while you're gone?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lavendrae For This Useful Post:

Maki (09-24-2013),simmie (09-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    42m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would get another dog so they can play while your out

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I can try and ask dad, actually. My mom wants nothing to do with my dog, but I always got daddy right?
    I'm hoping she likes the attention from someone other than me.

oh, really?
    would the treats spoil her too much though? or make her gain a lot of weight?
    no i will not hiss at my dog omg xD

yup, spayed.
    iv'e never actually seen her have any attraction to another dog, other than black dogs. idk what it is about black dogs aodjsa

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    125 times
    Time Online
    21d 23h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    I can try and ask dad, actually. My mom wants nothing to do with my dog, but I always got daddy right?
    I'm hoping she likes the attention from someone other than me.

oh, really?
    would the treats spoil her too much though? or make her gain a lot of weight?
    no i will not hiss at my dog omg xD

yup, spayed.
    iv'e never actually seen her have any attraction to another dog, other than black dogs. idk what it is about black dogs aodjsa
    I'm thinking the treats will make her associate you leaving with not being so bad. And no, as long as it's not more than like 4 or 5 a day and she's still active.
    If you overfeed on treats, just take a little food from the bowl. I give my cat treats every once in a while when he does something I like. He's like 5-6 lbs and he gets max like 5 treats in a day (they're little tiny cat nibblets about the size of my pinky nail).

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    30d 14h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    What Lavendrae said is pretty much on par for what I've learned in 7 months of Vet Nursing.
    Also you could walk your dog each morning before school, an exercised dog is less likely to cause mischief bark/moan than a bored dog.
    You could also rub your scent on a favorite toy of the dogs before you go(just rub the toy on your wrists is enough)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Broken For This Useful Post:

simmie (09-24-2013)