Thread: [Guide] Beginner's Guide to Flight Rising (WIP)

Hybrid View

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

[Guide] Beginner's Guide to Flight Rising

A Beginner's Guide by Guil

(you need an account to see links) is a dragon breeding game that opened on June 5th, the game features breeding, a unique world, many items (including those for dragon customization), a lively forum, and a weekly battle for dominance between the 11 unique factions. In the game you play as a clan of dragons, and you breed, gather items and generally amass your fortune.

Choosing a Flight
    This is probably the biggest decision you have to make when you start playing Flight Rising. There are 11, flights each representing an elemental god. There is no huge difference between the flights except for its effects on dragon's eye colors, and access to a private flight forum. The community in these different flights is also slightly different, but from what I've seen, most have friendly users.

The 11 Flights:
    Shadow Flight - Holiday week in February, dragon eye color: dark purple
    Wind Flight - Holiday week in March, dragon eye color: light green
    Water Flight - Holiday week in April, dragon eye color: blue
    Nature Flight - Holiday week in May, dragon eye color: green
    Light Flight - Holiday week in June, dragon eye color: light yellow
    Lightning Flight - Holiday week in July, dragon eye color: cyan
    Fire Flight - Holiday week in August, dragon eye color: orange
    Arcane Flight - Holiday week in September, dragon eye color: pink
    Plague Flight - Holiday week in October, dragon eye color: red
    Earth Flight - Holiday week in November, dragon eye color: brown
    Ice Flight - Holiday week in December, dragon eye color: white

All Holidays are during the last week of each month.
    Dragon eye color only effects dragons born in your lair, any dragons you buy that were born in other lairs will have the eye color of the lair they were born into.

Main Game Activities

Breeding - Breed your dragons to make.... even more dragons. Selective breed for color you like, or ones you think will sell well. Each type of dragon has a breeding cooldown, the rarer the dragon the longer it is, so make the best out of each breeding.

Gathering - You can gather items up to 16 times a day (base is 10, extra 5 for having clan high clan energy, and 1 extra for your flight having dominance). You can gather different types of food, various trinkets, or even rare items such as dragon eggs!

Battle - Monster hunt in the coliseum to earn items, sometime familiars, as well as train up your dragons to fight tougher foes.

Play Games - Currently available are Runestones of the Arcanist (a match game), Jigsaw (a puzzle game), Higher or Lower (25 guesses per hour), and Shock Switch (a tetris attack game, still in beta). Earn up to 75,000 treasure per day!

Custom Skins - Design and submit custom dragon skins or accents. You can sell your own custom skins for a profit, if people like them.

Trading Post - Every hour you can do five swaps with Crim, trading her items for around 500 treasure apiece. Once a day you can grab a free item from Pinkerton, and once every few hours or so you can trade bulk items for rare items with Swipp!

Elemental Holidays

At the end if every month except January there is a holiday celebrating a specific flight. No matter what flight you're in, these are always a fun little activity!

For the week of the festival anytime you gather in the land of whoever's having the holiday, you have the chance to gather a special currency for the holiday, which you can redeem for exclusive prizes at the Festive Favors booth. You can also get the currency randomly in drops from creatures with the same element in the Battle Coliseum.

For each festival, the Flight Rising staff also hold a skin contest with the theme of whatever flight has the holiday! If you're an artist, this is a great chance to earn some gems and get your art on the site! Each winner gets their skin sold on the site (limited edition) or their skin is featured in a holiday chest that can be won in the coliseum.

Dominance

Dominance is an exciting weekly event where each flight competes to exalt the most dragons to their deity. Although you can exalt at anytime, when a flight decides collectively to go for exalt, its an exciting event where they fight hard to amass many dragons to exalt. If you go onto your Flight's Forum, you will usually find discussion on when your flight plans on going for exalt. Most flights will go for dominance on their holiday week (and in return other flights often lay off exalting so they can have the week to celebrate), but on non-holiday weeks, it's a free for all! Going for dominance can be extremely fun, but also pretty difficult. It takes a lot of time and effort to push to the top, but the camaraderie in flight when going for dominance is quite enjoyable.

Dominance tips:
    -Most people consider it common courtesy to name all dragons before they are exalted. Some people will get irritated/pissy at you if you don't bother naming, but its not like anyone can tell.
    -Leveled dragons will give you more profit for exalting, and will count more towards your flight's exalting, so it's a good strategy to level adults.
    -As the week goes on, especially during a week where two or more flights are pushing hard to win, dragon prices will increase, so be prepared to outbuy other flights.
    -In the beginning of the week its a good strategy to buy up cheap Ready to Breed dragons, that way you can breed them and have their hatchlings to exalt too!

Dominance Rewards:
    - 10% discount on the treasure marketplace
    - +1 gathering turn
    - +1 to each of your dragons stats in the coliseum
    - 250 bonus treasure per day

Honestly the only real good thing is the discount, which you can turn a profit with the next week.

Breeding Tips

While you can breed any male and any female dragon, its a good idea to selectively breed for nice colors. If you breed two dragons with random colors, you will most often get a random mix of colors, which will have a very limited appeal. Take some time to look at what you think looks good, what color combos you like, or see what people seem to be after, and build a pair around that.

Examples of breeding projects:
    - Neon Wings (Black or White bodies with bright wings)
    - Pastels
    - White bodies with pastel wings
    - Orange bodied dragons with tiger genes

Just go wild, find something that you think looks cool and go for it.

Different Dragon breeds also determine what people will buy. Dragons are organized by rarity, with more common breeds having a 15 day breeding cooldown, and the rarest having a 35 day cooldown.

Plentiful breeds are those you get to choose from the start, Mirrors, Guardians, Faes, and Tundras. These are not highly sought after, unless they have nice colors, so people might want to change them into a different breed. They all have a 15 day cooldown, and ones with unpopular colors are often destined to be exalt fodder (which isn't a bad thing, if you wait for the right time to sell them).

Common breeds are those who you can get by using a breed change scroll found in the Marketplace, and they are Pearlcatcher, Ridgeback, Spiral, and Snapper. They have a 20 day cooldown. The scrolls range anywhere from 250k treasure to 350k treasure, and ca only be used once. Most of these dragons have been going down in price. Pearlcatchers and Ridgebacks have dropped fairly low, Snappers are doing ok, and Spirals have been doing alright. All hatchlings are priced below the scroll amount (probably way below, seeing as they have gotten a bit common).

Uncommon dragons have a 25 day cooldown, and the only type available right now is the Skydancer. These have fairly popular since they were released. They can be obtained from scrolls in the Marketplace as well, but their scrolls cost 400k.

Limited Dragons have a 30 day cooldown, the only type available right now is the coveted Imperial Dragon. Imperials sell for by far the most amount of treasure, but will become more common as time goes on. Imperial change scrolls were kickstarter exclusive, and are basically extinct. The only way to get an Imperial now is to buy a hatchling, so if you breed Imps, color is veryyyyy important!

Rare dragons have a 35 day cooldown, the only type right now is the Wildclaw, whose scroll coast 2000 gems in the Gem Marketplace. They are technically less rare than Imps, since anyone can just buy a scroll anytime. WCs are also very useful to breed with imperial dragons! Because of the fact that they are rarer by technicality, breeding an Imp with a WC will result in all Imp babies (getting a WC is possible, but rare). So as long as you are willing to wait an extra 5 days to breed your Imp, you can save a lot by breeding with a WC (plus you can choose a basic with good colors to breed with and then just scroll it).

Other Tips/Notes

- Flight Rising is still getting its kinks worked out. By now everything seems to be working, but there will be bugs, there will be lag, and there may even be downtime.
    - On the plus side, for every major downtime the staff keeps your dragons fed, and will also send downtime care packages with some exclusive items.
    - The art market isn't that great there... but as time goes on it will establish itself more.
    - If you refer your friends, you will get a referral bonus of 5% of the gems they buy when they buy for the first time, and 1% for every other purchase.
    - There's not a ton to do on the site right now, but there will be more in the future!

If you have any questions about Flight Rising, feel free to ask here or PM me!
    Last edited by Guil; 09-21-2013 at 02:51 PM.

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

"My name isn't Rob, but I'm Robbing"
    -Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

userbar by @charmander and art by @dankruse !

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Thank you very much for this. I've been relying on sporadic tumblr mumbo junk.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    No problem! If there's anything I missed let me know!

custom userbars by @lyrichord (argyle) and @charmander (guilmon ryu)! thank you so much!

-Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

Pronouns
    she/they
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    20d 18h 34m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    This is great! Very handy for when I sign up, most of the guides I've seen don't cater to absolute newbies like me~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    9d 5h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Flight Rising more like Drama Rising.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Quote Originally Posted by mt5o5bd View Post
    Flight Rising more like Drama Rising.

Yeah..... lost of users do a lot of complaining, and no new users means that there's no one to buy dragons... but I think things will improve once registration opens.

(you need an account to see links)

is the blog where all the bitching is at ahaha

-Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    119/0
    Mentioned
    108 times
    Time Online
    17d 18h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Well now I'm slightly less confused. I got an Imp and a WC to breed.. in like.. 24 days... It's all good though. I hear the color possibility i have set up is really nice though. Hey @(you need an account to see links) buy my imp babies when they come kk?
    There is a boy here in town, who said he'd love me forever...Who thought forever could be severed. By the sharp knife.. Of a short life.

Up on the hill across the blue lake,
    That's where I had my first heart break
    I still remember how it all changed
    My father said
    Don't you worry, don't you worry child
    See heaven's got a plan for you

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 times
    Time Online
    40d 20h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Nice! Breeding is always the most exciting part~

-Thieves 2020

@guil and @delibird

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    5d 17h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    So, any of you managed to join? I created a topic about FR a few months ago but I don't think many had joined back then.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    61/0
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    9d 5h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I've been on it for several months.