1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

[Mini-Guide] What to say when getting a new uc

For most people when it comes to getting uc’s, they only know the first step: Finding the UC they want, and buying it. But when it comes to getting the uc on the account, and people asking questions, what do you do then? Most people seem like they have to ask everyone: “Where did you get _____ from?” and well…

Won’t work with people. But with this guide, it should give you a few tips on what to say if the question arises.

You will need:
    • An updated cache
    • Somewhere you can store notes (Notepad, Word, etc)
    • Lookup that hides your pets (Optional, PM me for the coding)

Looking back at point one:
    While having an updated, legit looking cache is crucial, you cannot bank on it alone to get rid of nosy PC’ers. Most people get suspicious when they see a uc they never saw on the boards before, so you need a logical, believable story that will put people in their place. Make sure to put your story down on a notepad, as telling 2 people 2 different stories will look weird. This is also why we will be splitting the stories into three different sections: well-known, semi-known and unknown accounts. This is also because a story that will work on an unknown account, will not go so well on a well-known account.

Unknown Accounts

• Accounts that are never or Seldom on the boards
    • Unknown accounts also usually don’t have extreme game scores, common rw/rn usernames…anything that would make people want to visit your lookup.
    • Usually when googled, have no cache, or a rarely updated cache.

Most people with unknown accounts either have shells that are being turned into mains, or a built up account that is unknown due to long periods of inactivity. For these types of accounts, I suggest that you stay unknown until all the uc’s are bought and cached. This includes using the auctions/TP, having a shop, entering contests, anything that gets your UN out for possible lurkers. If you are found, and someone does ask, here are three options:

Low-end UC’s:
    UC’s that are generally under $30 (according to Drizzy’s price guide), are considered low-end, and most people won’t take a second look at them. In this situation, I would say: “_______ was a lab zap/boochi/painted by me before the conversion.” Since you’re virtually unknown, this excuse has worked before, and people move on.

Note for this to work: Make sure you have an aged account, that was made before April 27th, 2007, for this was the day the conversion happened. Make sure the pet and the account itself look homey, as if you’d had this pet forever. Either that, or have an 'old' main made before the conversion.

Mid UC’s:
    Defined as UC’s worth $35-$65, people find these uc’s really nice! For this one, people do tend to ask more due to mid-uc’s being commonly traded on the PC, and people wanting to own them. For this one, you could say: “I traded a ____ for _____ back in __.” You can even get names of frozen uc’s in case people were to ask the name of the pet, but for most people saying “UC grey cybunny” works.

Note for this to work: Just be polite (or pretend), have the names of some frozen uc’s on standby, and a preselected date (anything before 2010 works), so you’re good.

High end uc’s:
    For this one, people always need to be careful, especially on unknown accounts. People on the PC tend to think UC P/R/D/K + Unknown=Illegit. High ends are defined as a uc plushie cybunny and up. You have two options for this one:

a) Look like you’re slowly coming back into neo. Have broken, outdated css to even look like nothing’s been updated. Don’t have trophies, NC or customization before a certain date. Or, avoid suspicion overall when you ‘update’ your account by having css that hides your pet. For this one, you can claim you had the pet pre-conversion.

b) Again, you can say you traded with someone. You can also give the name of a frozen/inactive UC. The person won’t give a 2nd thought and move on.
    For ‘B’ to work, if you have an account (or know a friend), ask them to set it to ‘stealth!’, and it makes it look like their on a hiatus!

Semi-Known Accounts

• Posts on the boards sometimes (1-2x/week)
    • Has a few friends that they talk to regularly
    • When userlookup is googled, it’s updated in a decent amount of time.

Most people fall under this category, and you can actually be safer than you think. For semi-knowns, most people who ask: “Where did you get ______?” is friends. And of course in the end, they do believe you slightly more.

For these types of accounts, do not slip under the radar. For this one, I recommend that you don’t go out and be supersocial on the boards, and only talk to 1-2 good friends about every other day, so they can check in on you. Your goal is to look normal, without your friends worrying about you. Because worrying=looking you up 24/7.

Low end uc’s:
    For this one, you can be a bit more lenient. For this one, I recommend getting a semi-main with the uc on it, and making a board once the pet has cached. Say you’re ‘seeking names’, pet with a specific birthday, etc. Wait a couple of days before posting, and wait for them to ‘accept’ your offer!
    Note for this to work: Make the account with the UC look built up. And make it look not so similar to you. Different css, fonts…even they way you type. Also, look reluctant to pick an offer. Make it look like it’s a hard decision. As for you, the one receiving the uc, look like you really want the pet. Even offer a custom with it on the boards. Make it look like you want this trade to go smoothly.

Mid-UC’s:
    These are sure to drag out a lot of questions, as many people are dying to own them! Friends can even get jealous/suspicious at times, so this excuse can go well with people:
    For this one, I say have an account that poses as an old friend (who you possibly know irl) and make it look like they’re about to quit/go on hiatus. Let the account at least have 3 pets though, so it looks more legit; preferably old pets that were available pre-conversion, but were automatically converted (i.e: RG Zafara, Halloween Shoyru).

For this to work: Make it look like they log in at least once a month, to check on things.

High-end UC’s:
    For these, you need to make this look REALLY personalized. Most people don’t give away UC P/R/D/K at all, even to friends. This is a much more personal angle to go at.

Personally, I would mention an older brother/sister that used to play back in the day. This is similar to the mid-end excuse, but you need to play it well. With this one, you need to make the “sibling” look reluctant to get rid of the pet, and complain to your friends once in a while in the meantime. In about 2-3 weeks, make it look like they broke down, and they finally gave you the pet.

Note for this to work: Have some outdated/broken CSS, and make the account look somewhat unmaintained. Make the sibling’s account link your userlookup on theirs, and make them login 2-3x/week, so it looks like their deciding what to do.

Overall in the end, it’s easier to get friends to believe you than random strangers, and in these cases it seems to be mainly friends asking about the orgin of a UC. Private adoptions work best for these accounts, and most people don’t take a second glance if done right.

Known Accounts

• Posts often on the boards, has a lot of friends or even strangers talking on their boards constantly, etc.
    • Usually good friends with ‘other’ known people
    • When googled, cache is constantly updated.
    For these accounts, sometimes getting uc’s on them is a real pain in the neck. But, being well-known can also be used to your advantage sometimes, and here’s how:

Low end UC’s: For this one, it seems like well known people can sometimes get away with underoffers/seeking overoffers, if they have a pet that ‘looks’ worthy enough for a low-end uc (i.e; chocolate draik, some sort of name). Generally for this one, make a board seeking some sort of custom/pet uft, and about a week later come with your account and offer the UC.

Note on making this work: To make it look more legitimate, you can even have a little project page up. Say your goal is to trade up to –insert uc here-, but make sure the uc you are trying to trade up to is not the one being offered! Avoid that suspicion altogether. Say in the end you’re ‘attached’ to the pet, and decide to keep it.

Mid-Uc’s: Bank on the fact that you have a lot of friends! For this, I recommend that you have a less-known friends from a while, and they decide to go on a hiatus, putting all their pets ufa. On the pet’s lookup, go ‘____, if you want xxxx please mail me! ;_;”. They can ‘return’ the pet about a month later, with you over the moon getting the pet!

Note for this to work: Make sure on the ‘main’ and lets say 1-2 sides that are quitting, gather up some random converted pets, even some draiks/krawks to go with it. This might be a bit more costly to get a uc pet in a legit looking way, but it has worked before. Even actually adopt out some of the converted pets if you wish. It’s all about appearances in the end.

High end UC’s (Written by @(you need an account to see links)) :

“Before putting the said-UC on my main account, I went on the account the UC was previously on, and worked on this account by increasing avatar count, making some trophies, working on the other pets, and the userlookup. In short, I made this account looks like a reputable main account. Then, I moved the UC to my main account. It was easier to tell that person was somebody I knew well, and they were giving the pet to me. Wrote something about it on my UC's petlookup, and wrote something similar on the previous account userlookup. That way, if anybody was suspicious or anything, they could ask me questions + ask questions to the ''previous'' owner. “

Note on making this work: Katzes had an older account, and people knew she was trying to trade up to a certain UC pet for a long time now. She explained on the petlookup how she obtained the pet, to diffuse suspicion.
    What's important to look for also, is the cache of the previous account. If there's one saying the owner hadn't logged in for a long long time, it's important to wait. If somebody login into the account only once to transfer a pet, it won't make sense. I waited a month or two if I remember well, so the person seemed ''active'' again, before ''giving'' myself the pet.

Overall recommendations before putting a uc on your account

Now, I am aware there on guides such as *insert guide here* on how to make your account look before even thinking putting a UC on there. But here, these are just a few overall points for you to look at before you buy that uc.

• Does the UC look like it’d fit in on your account? For example, your semi-main with 125 avatars and few trophies/site themes/stamps won’t look so good with a high-end uc on it, even with a good story. Build up your account more if it looks like it looks awkward with the uc you bought.

• Most people transfer off pets at the beginning of the month. This is more natural, as at this time people are trading/lending/adopting pets, so it might be more believable if you received your pet at the beginning of the month.

• If you plan on buying a uc for retrading, think of the risks vs the cost of the pet. This includes time getting the pet to cache, for advertising, etc. The more you get your pet out there, the more people will know about it, and even with good excuses, people do get jealous and report. If you plan on getting a high-end uc overall, save your money and just buy the pet you want in the first place.

• If you do go on the boards, try to avoid bringing attention to yourself. You don’t need to make your UC faerie draik active all the time, and you don’t need to post on people’s boards who are known to report unknown uc’s. Just avoid those people, and you’ll be less likely to be found.

• Don’t have too many uc’s on one account. I know people who are legit who have been reported and frozen before, only because people thought they had ‘too many uc’s’. Just stick to about 1-2 on your account if your is unknown/semi-known.
    Conclusion

In the end, the excuses are not a free pass to get like, 10 UC’s on your account. Like all things in life, they are to be used in moderation, and to help you get your UC on your account with a safety net. Make sure to write out your excuses clearly, so that the interaction between you and the person asking can only take up 1-3 neomails, maximum. If you do mess up on the way, though, you can always say:
    Well, you’d gotta have a pretty good smile to make the excuse work.
    Last edited by simmie; 09-06-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: what the hell why did i write 'writed'

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

Andymac106 (12-11-2013),Bettser (09-04-2013),brad347 (03-30-2014),Broken (09-07-2013),Cath (09-04-2013),Clair (05-20-2014),Colby (03-29-2014),Corliss (09-04-2013),Danny Phantom (06-03-2018),Demetri (09-04-2013),Drizzy (09-04-2013),EdenQueen (03-29-2014),Forever (12-13-2013),Frump (09-05-2013),Ghosts (03-29-2014),Heartunderblade (09-18-2013),I_royalty_I (09-04-2013),lambkin (12-11-2013),Lindsay (11-10-2014),Maki (09-04-2013),Mod (09-04-2013),♥ Munna ♥ (03-30-2014),Neko (09-04-2013),osiyo (09-08-2013),Poem (09-04-2013),Raj (09-04-2013),Sakuras (05-25-2014),Saru (09-05-2013),Sinnamoon (08-09-2014),Spiffy (09-12-2013),Winona (04-05-2015),wrath (09-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Very nice and complete guide @(you need an account to see links). <3
    Thank you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

simmie (09-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Nice guide from a girl who knows her stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

simmie (09-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Thanks for the great guide! I was honestly really trying to figure out what I'd say and do! This will be a great help. I just wanted to ask though, if you bought an inactive old account with some UCs on it, with no way of anyone getting the UN or the names of the pets (like you mention through having a shop, auctions, trophies etc.) would you be pretty safe from Neo-stalkers in general? XD

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    7h 22m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Great guide, and very useful for a planned future purchase

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Drina View Post
    Thanks for the great guide! I was honestly really trying to figure out what I'd say and do! This will be a great help. I just wanted to ask though, if you bought an inactive old account with some UCs on it, with no way of anyone getting the UN or the names of the pets (like you mention through having a shop, auctions, trophies etc.) would you be pretty safe from Neo-stalkers in general? XD
    I would say 'Hope for the best, but expect the worst.'
    the only way people could possibly get the name was say oh, like an old friend checking up on the person or someone used to own those uc's. but I say you're good. ^_^

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I would say 'Hope for the best, but expect the worst.'
    the only way people could possibly get the name was say oh, like an old friend checking up on the person or someone used to own those uc's. but I say you're good. ^_^
    Gotcha! Thanks! ^__^

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    30d 14h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m