Thread: A few questions before I buy my first UC...

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    57d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m

A few questions before I buy my first UC...

1. If I don't have the time/experience (I just started a new job so I'm super busy and I've never purchased/secured a UC before) would it be worth it for me to pay someone to secure/cache my UC for me? And would anyone actually offer that as a service? I've read all the guides but I just don't trust myself to do everything right and I'm not even sure I'd have the time/resources to do so.

2. Is it any safer to (try to) buy a legit UC? Obviously my choices would be more limited than buying a pet from an inactive account, but wouldn't it be harder to prove that the pet was bought (if I used the 'I was gifted/a friend was quitting' excuse)?

3. Are all of these questions pointless since my account is sort of known on a few boards (not the PC) and so any UC I buy is going to raise too much suspicion regardless of how careful I am?

Sorry for all the newb questions.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    1. You can cache your UC pretty easily while you're at work. @(you need an account to see links) can give you the deets if she's feeling generous

2. Legit UCs are easier because the person who sells it can vouche for you since it is technically theirs. Inactives are still pretty save. Abandoned accounts usually don't come back and raise a stink over their pets because they've already been gone a whole year.

3. I'd say stick it on a side and let it cache there, then gift it to yourself and say you've been holding it for a friend on hiatus and you want to put it on your main for safe keeping. It's cached to you anyhoo and as long as you're admitting to babysitting it, i've never had a problem with that excuse. Don't make it a big deal. If anyone asks, "Yeah, it's my RL's UC. She's on a hiatus and i promised to hold him until she gets back. It's not mine "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lilac Tentacles For This Useful Post:

ddown (09-01-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    54d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    What most people do is cache pets to unknown sides, then transfer to their main and then anyone who sees the cache will think you always owned the pet. Another thing to do might be to decrease your board presence simply by not posting as much on the boards in the early days of owning your UC. Then, after a while, you can start posting and your pet will be cached and the appearance of your UC might not seem so sudden.

*~a ghost in the sunlight~*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Corliss For This Useful Post:

ddown (09-01-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    57d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Thanks for the tips guys. I like the idea of letting a pet cache on one of my sides. Unfortunately I can't be online very much at all while I'm at work.
    Last edited by ddown; 09-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/3
    Mentioned
    451 times
    Time Online
    187d 15h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 9m
    It would be way easier/safer to buy a legit UC just because even if someone asks the person you can just direct them to the person you bought from and they can say it was a gift or something.

Just lay off the boards a bit if you want, it's probably not a big deal though if it is a legit pet as long as you don't go around showing it off and bragging. If it was an illegit pet I would so what was suggested above and get it cached on a side first and then transfer to your main.

EDIT: I think there is some members here that will help cache pages for payment, try searching for some threads about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

ddown (09-01-2013)

Pronouns
    Flor/Fleur
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    94 times
    Time Online
    45d 6h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I just let pets sit on a shell/side and take a long hiatus and come back and it's usually safe. I visit the lookup every now and again and eventually for me it caches.. I'm not addicted to neopets so I guess it's easier for me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    14d 10h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I just got my first uc a few days ago, I was super paranoid, but I put the pet on a side that no one knows about, and I'm updating it's lookup with a sentence or two every day and viewing it's lookup and the account lookup multiple times a day. hopefully it'll cache soon

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    970 times
    Time Online
    279d 7h 42m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 36m
    There's nothing you have to do to get the pet cached, other then put it on a side or shell that looks like it's related to your main, and let it sit. I recommend logging in once a day just to keep the cache at Under One Day Ago, but other then that, you don't have to do anything crazy. It would be good to take a couple minutes to add your own touch to the pet lookup, but it's not nessicary.