30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Yeah the minimum wage in the US is bullshit lol
    There are tons of charts, and it's pretty obvious, that the cost of living has gone up and up and up.... but the minimum wage hasn't changed in FOREVER. Our fantastic government at work

But that is some very interesting news. I didn't see the guys legs on the dinosaur until almost at the end haha
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Owl (08-29-2013),Soul (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    I understand that. It's not a whole lot different in Chicago. (the city itself, not the suburbs so much). Which I know of many people living in Chicago in similar situations. Not nearly as bad as NYC, but still bad. But really, if I was living in NYC and couldn't afford to live there on my own and I could only work at McDonald's, I'd find people to rent a place with and room with them. During that time I would search for a new job. Working at a McDonald's with pay like that is just unrealistic. Find a new job. Which is hard, yes I know, but it's not impossible. Ambition and attitude is what will get people somewhere in life. These people are just relying on the McDonald's Corporation to take care of them, when really; that's not their problem. Being in crew at McDonald's is a big thing for teens just starting to work. It's a good way for them to get into the job field. They shouldn't be getting paid $15/hr. Managers at McDonald's rarely get paid that much if ever. So that would mean they'd have to boost the pay on the manager's salary or they'll strike, and if they raised the pay in NYC, they'd have to do it everywhere else. Which is not realistic. So if these people really need to make more money, they need to start working towards it and either move up in the company or find a better paying job. Easier said than done, sure. But it's doable.
    First of all - no. Just no. Chicago is not NEARLY as expensive cost of living wise as NYC. (you need an account to see links) will give you an idea of the difference. (surpisingly - at minimum wage in Chicago, you need to earn approximately double that in NYC to live a comparable lifestyle)

Second of all - Why shouldn't everyone get a raise? Why should minimum wage NOT be a liveable wage?
    (you need an account to see links)
    There is an example of higher wages still making a profit.

Third of all - Really? You are laying the blame upon slave wages? How does it make sense that you can work somewhere for five or more years and not be promoted or given benefits or any significant raise in pay? How does that make sense?

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

@(you need an account to see links) - I'm not meaning to attack you, I just find the entire scenario disgusting on a moral level.
    There are no girls on the internet.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osiyo For This Useful Post:

Owl (08-29-2013),Soul (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    461 times
    Time Online
    69d 14h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    You should all move to Canada tbh...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Maths For This Useful Post:

Maki (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maths View Post
    You should all move to Canada tbh...
    I wanted to marry a Swedish man/ any other Nordic native for their citizenship, but I failed

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    509 times
    Time Online
    43d 16h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by osiyo View Post
    First of all - no. Just no. Chicago is not NEARLY as expensive cost of living wise as NYC. (you need an account to see links) will give you an idea of the difference. (surpisingly - at minimum wage in Chicago, you need to earn approximately double that in NYC to live a comparable lifestyle)

Second of all - Why shouldn't everyone get a raise? Why should minimum wage NOT be a liveable wage?
    There is an example of higher wages still making a profit.

Third of all - Really? You are laying the blame upon slave wages? How does it make sense that you can work somewhere for five or more years and not be promoted or given benefits or any significant raise in pay? How does that make sense?

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

@(you need an account to see links) - I'm not meaning to attack you, I just find the entire scenario disgusting on a moral level.
    Chicago is pretty freaking expensive to live in. Regardless of it being less expensive than NYC. I had said it wasn't as bad as NYC, so.

And people should get a raise if they deserve one. Every 6 months in McDonald's you get an evaluation. Based on how well you do, you get a pay raise. It can range from 1 cent to $0.30-50. Which is considerable for a fast food chain. If McDonald's were to boost everyone's pay like that, they'd go bankrupt. It's just not possible, and it's not going to happen. As unfortunate as that may seem to people.

And if you're working at McDonald's for 5 years and you're not getting any raises or promotions, you're doing something wrong. They see how you work. And if you're doing all that you can, and striving to succeed, they will see it. And they will promote you. That's how you become a manager. i would have been one by now if I didn't move, and I had only been there for 2 years, and I'm only 18. It's all about how hard you want to work for success. A lot of people have this mindset that they shouldn't have to work hard, and things should just be given to them for nothing. Which is ridiculous. The moral and mindset of America is so warped and is nothing like is used to be. And that's why so many people are unsuccessful in life. Because everyone thinks they're right and they deserve so much when they don't even work for it.
    Now, not saying everyone is like that. There are honest hard working people that struggle, yes. But majority of these people complaining that they deserve more probably haven't really tried to improve their living situations effectively.

And I know you're not meaning to attack me! I understand every point you're making, like I hope you do mine! I have no ill thoughts towards you. We all have our own opinions on things, sure. But we're both people with morals and understanding. I see no reason why we can't get along, even with conflicting views. I'm just sharing what I personally think. (:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Soul For This Useful Post:

osiyo (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I would just like to say: WTF.

I get paid $7.35 an hour at a bowling alley.

And people get paid $8.25 at MCD's?

Fucking unreal.

edit: not bashing anyone, just saying I seriously though more people at MCD's were on minimum wage...I feel kinda cheap lol
    Last edited by Batgirl; 08-29-2013 at 11:27 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Batgirl For This Useful Post:

Soul (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I definitely just accidentally erase my entire rant.

Anyways, a summed up version:

the minimum wage system in the US is fucked up. The problem stems from the corporation, however, and not the workers, and (for the most part), not the franchise owners.

The difference between living wages for workers at McDonald's could be achieved by raising the cost of a big mac by less than a quarter.

$0.22 is what it would cost to give the workers a living wage.

Realistically though, the company would just encourage layoffs to make up the difference for remaining workers.

As for the workers deserving better argument.....Poverty is tough. It produces a cycle that is incredibly difficult to get out for a multitude of reasons. It is not as easy as "Go out and get a better job". There is so much that goes into it, it's terrifying.

I can go into it if you want, but it'd be a looooooooong rant

13. The Following User Says Thank You to osiyo For This Useful Post:

Soul (08-29-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Minimum wage was last raised in 2009. That's not 'forever' ago. Let me drop some wisdom on you folks about the actual stats of making $7.25/hr which is the federal mandated minimum wage in the US.

Illinois (Where Chicago is):

New York:

So let's just throw out the concept of some crazily expensive apartment in New York for the moment. Here in Iowa, a moderately cheap state in comparison, the average one-bedroom apartment costs around $565.00 a month. Let's also consider utilities run around $50 a month. Cable for your internet and TV running around $60 a month (on the low end). Gas being around $3.40 per gallon with a 20-gallon vehicle = $68 and you probably have to fill up twice since you don't have a lot of money with your McDonald's job to buy a hybrid hehe so $136 a month. Car insurance around $50-60 a month because you're a responsible person and don't want to be heavily fined for no insurance! We all must have a cell phone and perhaps you're even a cheap fuck and do those prepaid all you can eat shits for $30-40 a month. So let's look at our expenses:

Rent: $565
    Utilities: $50
    Cable: $60
    Gas: $136
    Insurance: $55
    Phone: $40
    Total Expenses: $906

So even in New York which you receive the higher amount of bring home pay, your monthly income is around: $930. I hope you can learn to live with $24 for your food budget per month or you're fucked and you now see why working for minimum wage is futile and pointless. Let's hope you don't have random children to consider etc. etc. The point is that sure, it's doable and we certainly have a ton of social programs: food stamps, SSI, WIC, etc. to help you along the way, but it's still extremely shitty, and putting you in the just socially acceptable living conditions. If that's what minimum wage is attempting to do, then it has met its goal. However, I believe it will not remain that way for long due to inflation, and that we, as a people, deserve better than just the bare basics. That's not entitlement coming out, that's I don't mind working my ass off for my income, but I hope that I am paid a fair wage to do so.

On an unrelated subject...
    @(you need an account to see links). Twelve days remain.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

ALSO! The congressmen that make the laws to decide minimum wage make around $174,000 annually or $83/hour if they did a 40-hour work week which I'm sure never happens.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Clair (08-29-2013),Duck4Cover (08-29-2013),osiyo (08-29-2013),Soul (08-29-2013),Sylveon (08-29-2013),Whispers (08-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

Oh inflation...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by osiyo; 08-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    509 times
    Time Online
    43d 16h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I understand your frustration! I totally do, and I understand every point you're making as well. The minimum wage system is extremely messed up. Much like America's economy as a whole. I'd say America in general is pretty messed up. It's sad. I wish we could just snap our fingers and fix it, and everyone can be happy and live comfortable lives. And poverty is tough. I agree completely. It's very hard to do much of anything when you have no money. And yes, I agree that it is hard to find jobs nowadays. I was just saying it wasn't necessarily impossible.

@(you need an account to see links)

You're so freaking smart. It scares me sometimes.
    Thanks for dropping them facts.