Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: welp hello college

  1. #1
    kaddypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Rep Power
    5

    welp hello college

    so i start college on august 22nd, and i am super nervous because i have no idea what to expect. I've heard it's a lot different from high school ((and if you know me at all i suck at managing my time wisely))
    i'm afraid i'm going to think i have so much free time and will be able to do whatever I want.
    does anyone have advice for an incoming freshman?

    oh, and i should probably mention i'm studying computer science. gah programming <33

  2. #2



    Cath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Location
    Temple of Time
    Posts
    2,431
    Thanks
    3,349
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,389 Posts


    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1159 Post(s)
    Time Online
    156 d 16 h 46 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 8 m
    Rep Power
    13
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: cathes Steam ID: 4thes
    Quote Originally Posted by kaddypie View Post
    so i start college on august 22nd, and i am super nervous because i have no idea what to expect. I've heard it's a lot different from high school ((and if you know me at all i suck at managing my time wisely))
    i'm afraid i'm going to think i have so much free time and will be able to do whatever I want.
    does anyone have advice for an incoming freshman?

    oh, and i should probably mention i'm studying computer science. gah programming <33
    The best advice I can give you is, as soon as you have a project to do, start it asap even if you have like a month to do it. At first, I was very bad at managing my time wisely also, and I just ended up procrastinating, telling myself I'd do it later. But trust me, when your projects are due and you have like a BUNCH of them to do at the sametime, you just want to kill yourself.

    But if you do what you have to do the day (or a few days) after you've received it, you shouldn't have any problem! Everything will be fine.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

    Infamous Joe (08-14-2013),kaddypie (08-14-2013),Soul (08-14-2013)

  4. #3
    kaddypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post
    The best advice I can give you is, as soon as you have a project to do, start it asap even if you have like a month to do it. At first, I was very bad at managing my time wisely also, and I just ended up procrastinating, telling myself I'd do it later. But trust me, when your projects are due and you have like a BUNCH of them to do at the sametime, you just want to kill yourself.

    But if you do what you have to do the day (or a few days) after you've received it, you shouldn't have any problem! Everything will be fine.
    i did that with high school projects. i did a huge research paper we had months to do the NIGHT before it was due. D:

    thank you so much though!! your advice is definitely appreciated c:

  5. #4



    Cath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Location
    Temple of Time
    Posts
    2,431
    Thanks
    3,349
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,389 Posts


    Downloads
    25
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1159 Post(s)
    Time Online
    156 d 16 h 46 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 8 m
    Rep Power
    13
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: cathes Steam ID: 4thes
    Quote Originally Posted by kaddypie View Post
    i did that with high school projects. i did a huge research paper we had months to do the NIGHT before it was due. D:

    thank you so much though!! your advice is definitely appreciated c:
    I did the same my first year of college and it was SUCH a bad.idea. lol
    I'm sure everything will be fine.

  6. #5
    Mojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked 513 Times in 294 Posts


    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Time Online
    29 d 9 h 22 m
    Avg. Time Online
    25 m
    Rep Power
    5
    im so scared. im too socially awkward for college.
    good luck. may the odds be ever in your favor.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo For This Useful Post:

    Soul (08-14-2013)

  8. #6
    Wenis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Location
    Your Elbow 0.o
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    458
    Thanked 532 Times in 281 Posts


    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Time Online
    31 d 22 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    27 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: TH3BIGL0NGW3NIS
    id say set your self a plan for the day like when to go to bed and all of that ....... alot time to study and stuff so when deadlines start to hit and you have other things to do in life your not super stressed out when things are piling up

    i struggled with that last year and i absolutely hated my self for it ........ the last week before finals i was all like lets stay up like 3 nights in a row to study and finish things that i wasted time on

    i wanted to die

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wenis For This Useful Post:

    kaddypie (08-14-2013),Soul (08-14-2013)

  10. #7
    kaddypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts


    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 4 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    im so scared. im too socially awkward for college.
    good luck. may the odds be ever in your favor.
    i feel your pain. I'm in the exact same boat. i can barely go into a store without wanting to cry. D:

  11. #8
    Andrew


    I_royalty_I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Gender
    Location
    Behind you.
    Age
    98
    Posts
    5,989
    Thanks
    5,141
    Thanked 7,780 Times in 2,993 Posts


    Downloads
    29
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Time Online
    338 d 6 h 32 m
    Avg. Time Online
    4 h 17 m
    Rep Power
    16
    Programming?! You should show off some of your skilllz and make us some programs here on ck

    Where are you gonna be going to school?

  12. #9

    Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts


    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kaddypie View Post
    does anyone have advice for an incoming freshman?
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post
    The best advice I can give you is, as soon as you have a project to do, start it asap even if you have like a month to do it. At first, I was very bad at managing my time wisely also, and I just ended up procrastinating,
    ^truth.

    Let me give you a rundown on how things are done in college:

    1. Start 1st year, full of hope and belief you'll buckle down to become a 4.0 student and a successful adult.
    2. Buy all mandatory and recommended textbooks, $500+/term, believing you'll read them inside out like a dedicated student.
    3. Breeze first week of classes, during the weekend, decide you can shirk on the first week and not study. Just enjoy the September weather as a legit "college student".
    4. Repeat #3 for 2nd week.
    5. Repeat #4 for 3rd week.
    6. Skim over notes for a few hours the night before your 1st midterm, believing you'll do fine like you did in high school. Hopeful textbooks collect dust.
    7. Write the midterm and either:
    a) think you're incredibly fucked, or
    b) you did alright, winged it - but you're smart enough to be in college, right?
    8. Receive your midterm grade back and see you bombed it hard, making an oath to really buckle down for MT #2 or final.
    9. Repeat #5-#8 for all weeks until the final.
    10. Write the final, and your final grade will result in you either:
    11a. Bombing your course(s) and wondering if you should switch programs, or
    11b. Just get by and make an oath to really pick it up for next term.

    12. At next term, you will either:
    a. learn from your mistakes and salvage your first year, or
    b. fail out of school and enroll in community college or join your high school peers in working entry-level jobs for the next 1-2 years.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

    Duck4Cover (08-14-2013),I_royalty_I (08-14-2013),Soul (08-14-2013)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •