Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My parents are /probably/ going to disown me.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

My parents are /probably/ going to disown me.

Okay, so I'm broke.
    Like not just a little broke--I'm a lot broke.
    I have a spending problem, for sure.

Last summer, when I got my first "real" job, my parents made me open up a savings account and put half of every paycheck into savings. So, by the end of the summer when the camp counseling job was over, I had roughly $650 in the bank.

Shit happened, I got depressed, and over the course of August through November, I spent a significant amount of that money. I wasn't supposed to touch it, and my parents didn't know I was making withdrawals.

So by Christmas time, I think I had a whopping $50 left in the bank. No job, no income coming in except babysitting money that would go in my gas tank...

Then, my birthday came this year, and since I got a lot of money for my eighteenth, my parents made me put it all in the bank.

Well, fuck that! I'm an adult, this is my money, I'm going to buy myself pretty things. (my mentality at the time)

But I still told my parents I had put it in the bank -- they thought I had $900ish, really I had $50.

Then, I got another job, (the one I'm at right now) and my parents neglected to tell me that they still expected me to put half of every paycheck in the bank this time around. So /really/ I'm in the hole about $1200, because I spent all of my first three paychecks on food, gas, paying off my Mac, etc. but they think I've been putting money in the bank.

I don't tell lies often, and now I'm finding myself stuck in a pretty fucking big one. You know, the kind that just keep thrusting you farther and farther into this hole you've dug for yourself? Yeah, well welcome to the fucking Grand Canyon of Jo's existence.

And on top of it all, my mom wants me to go get a bank statement today so she can "see where I stand" as far as my finances go.

Anyone just wanna kill me off before she can get to it herself? </3

It was nice knowing you, guys. ;~;

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Just be honest before you get that statement.

It will hurt less in the long run. Just saying.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    509 times
    Time Online
    43d 16h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I agree.

Honesty is the best way to go, no matter what. You're better off in the long run.

It's a valuable lesson to be learned.

Use this as a learning experience. Not as a mistake. You learn from everything, just remember that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Soul For This Useful Post:

Toasted (08-05-2013)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I know guys... I have to tell my parents the truth. But like, I'm honestly at a loss about what I should even say.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    6d 15h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    How will they find out? Like can you still fix it if you work really hard, and conserve your funds by putting even more than 50% in the bank.... And possibly tried to get a second job, though I don't know if that would be feasible for your situation or not?
    Or are they checking your bank account next week or something?

I'm good with saving but then sometimes I buy clothes and I'm just like

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I know guys... I have to tell my parents the truth. But like, I'm honestly at a loss about what I should even say.
    Ohhh yeah. Or tell them 0:-)
    You could try for a second job or go ahead and start doing more than 50%, and tell them AFTER you have taken some kind of steps though.
    Maybe it would make it easier.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    509 times
    Time Online
    43d 16h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

Well just. Tell them exactly what you just told us. What you just told all of us was the truth. If you need to tell them the truth; then tell them this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    31d 22h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Yes Jo please just tell them the truth and it will work out better in the long haul I promise that.........also that kind of money is chump change to adults that have full time jobs honestly that should be nothing

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I'm so scared though... Like, idk. My mom takes this stuff way seriously.
    I'm eighteen. I should be able to do what I want with MY money right? ;~;

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    60 times
    Time Online
    20d 9h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Yes, you can spend your money however you want, but as a responsible adult you theoretically should have a savings account of at least three months living expenses, ideally 6 months.

You don't have to, but it is a good idea.

Your parents just want to make sure you can take care of yourself, like if you have to have emergency surgery/your car breaks/you are robbed, you will be able to afford it without having to depend upon them. They are trying to give you good spending habits

PS This is such a foreign concept to me because both of my parents are so incredibly terrible with money I have been lecturing THEM since I was fourteen.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Well, fuck that! I'm an adult, this is my money, I'm going to buy myself pretty things. (my mentality at the time)
    This is why. But yes, overall you should be able to do what you want with your money. I just argue with my parents whenever money comes up, and basically it boils down to: If I can cover my own expenses, and do not have to borrow money, then as parents their obligation is to have food in the house and a roof over our heads. Beyond that, I pay for my stuff, then don't give me spending money. I get freedom, but I can't rely on them. Nothing is ever free, in more ways than just monetarily.