DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    510 times
    Time Online
    40d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    I was never just morbidly obese, but growing up I was pretty chubby--this past spring I just decided to do something about being overweight, and joined Track. I dropped about thirty pounds in three months just by straggling behind everyone else and trying my best .

I'm not sure if it's viable for you, or if it would work, but just jumping in to heavy exercise(from walking one hour two or three times a week to running an hour and a half or so daily--the first week or so was a stepping stone to actually being able to do it ) worked--it was brutal for the first few weeks, but now I feel much better physically and mentally (and I've learned to like jogging !)
    Last edited by Reese; 07-31-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    J_L_K_64 rules you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    85 times
    Time Online
    15d 6h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Honestly you're not alone. I also recently decided that I wanted to work on losing weight.
    I was a stick in highschool and then once I got out I gained about 30 pounds and I would love to lose 15-20.
    I've already lost some and really that's just because I switched soda to water. It's a small start but it sure did a whole hell of a difference on my body and the way I felt. I felt so much healthier without drinking all that soda. It's hard to just one day change up your whole diet but if you want to start small then just start by drinking water.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    21/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    3d 16h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Luckily I have never had to deal with weight issues but I have helped plenty of friends so hopefully my words carry weight.

How you eat is in fact important. Don't eat "healthy" thing-ie things you assume are healthy cause they have a veggie or two in them or sugary fruit shakes. Eat raw foods...ie very basic dishes. Teach yourself to eat simply to fuel your body and not for gratification. It's hard at first but you get into the groove.

I would suggest soft or hard boiled eggs for breakfast with two slices of whole wheat toast. Greek yogurt makes great high protein snacks. Protein is gonna be the name of the game. I'd suggest buying a whey protein powder and have one or two of those a day. Keep track of your calorie intake. Don't go too far over or under what your body needs.

Sadly though a big mistake that people make is thinking that dieting alone is any form of solution. Exercise is so crucial. And not just running or walking or whatever. Weight training is very important whether its with dumbbells etc or just your body weight. Muscle will define your body and fix all the issues (and you eat the protein to fuel this).

It's also going to take time. It's a commitment that may take a month or two to really see results. Stay strong. Make a routine. The harder and more frequent that you work-the quicker you will see results.

Best of luck and if you have any questions feel free to pm me

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You're a cutie patootie before and after. You might also look into going Vegitarian. Red meat is a lot of fat intake.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maths View Post
    I think you're prettier in the second picture and to be honest I've always found you really good looking.

If you really do want to get skinnier it is your choice and I completely understand but you have my opinion right here.
    You have no idea how much this helped me out, Mathsie.
    Like seriously, it made my heart so happy.
    Thank you. <3 <3 <3

And thanks to everyone else. (: I guess eating healthier wouldn't hurt me in the slightest. @(you need an account to see links) is right, I do depend on fast food. A LOT.
    But I'm not going to do it to look any better. And @(you need an account to see links) can just look at the new me that "ate" the freshman me, cause I'm honestly not out to impress him.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Meddek View Post
    You're a cutie patootie before and after. You might also look into going Vegitarian. Red meat is a lot of fat intake.
    I tried that once... Yeah, I need my meat. ;~;
    I get woozy without it.
    (And thank you! )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-31-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    183 times
    Time Online
    80d 15h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    29m
    First off, do not listen to ANYONE who tells you that cutting out fat is the way to lose fat.

My mom runs two popular food/weight loss blogs (and has been doing so for several years). I work as her editor/assistant, so I know a ton about this stuff. Here are just a few things.

1. Do not stress about exercise/cardio. 15 minutes a day can make a huge difference; you don't have to go out and run ten miles daily.

2. Weight loss is almost entirely attributed to diet. I understand that you are in a tight situation with your mom and all, but you don't necessarily have to go out and buy "healthy" foods. Just focus on eating less processed food, and start doing some more home-cooking!

3. Research ketosis. Ketosis is when your body is running off of fat storage rather than glucose. This can be achieved by cutting out carbs, starches, and sugars. It can be very difficult, but once you get the swing of things, you will find that it is VERY effective. You will feel fuller, experience less cravings, think more clearly, and drop weight steadily.

4. Consider seeing a doctor and finding out which foods your body is sensitive too. I did this, and found out that I was actually unable to digest gluten, which is found in nearly all grains (celiac disease). Just removing it from my diet had me dropping weight effortlessly.

5. FAT IS NOT THE ENEMY. It is a common misconception. Eating a diet with lots of fats found in meats/oils actually REINFORCES weight loss.

Best of luck to you!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    487 times
    Time Online
    26d 4h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    First off, do not listen to ANYONE who tells you that cutting out fat is the way to lose fat.
    Just focus on eating less processed food

Cutting out fat IS a great way to loose weight.

I see you have an opinion?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jolz For This Useful Post:

Meddek (08-02-2013),wrath (08-02-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    28/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    13d 7h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    In short:

Calories in VS Calories out.
    You gotta be eating less than you're consuming.

For starters, keep the caloric deficit to 500 per day.
    Anything lower and it could end up burning you.

You should typically strive to lose 4lbs ish per months.
    Id say maximum 5.

Chances are, any diet that's too rapid isn't a good one.
    There's a saying.
    Losing weight is 80% dieting. 20% cardio/ weightlifting etc.

Hit me up if you need more tips/ pointers.
    I myself have lost a ton of weight and am leaner and stronger than ever!

You should also do a little research on clean eating.
    Brown rice, ezekiel bread and other such high fibre foods are the one's you should be consuming (unless you have kidney problems or are diabetic)
    Such foods keep you feeling satiated for longer.
    You should also avoid empty calories (ie. foods that contain no nutritional benefits whatsoever and typically contain high levels of sugar/ saturated fat/ salt etc). These foods do not truly satisfy your body. As a result, your body goes to look for more food. This typically results in overeating.

Dont totally cut out junk food though.
    Everything in moderation is fine
    A 'cheat' snack or 'cheat day' once in a while (eg.once a month) is fine so long as you keep true to it.
    You can't completely cut foods that you enjoy out simply because they're unhealthy.
    Like i said, discipline is critical.
    Most times, diets dont work because people do not see the results after 1 month of dieting and as a result, jump straight back to their usual diet of gluttonous eating. This phenomenon is commonly known as 'yo-yo dieting'.
    Always know that diets do work provided you stick to it ardently and consistently. Changes don't happen in a fortnight.
    Just know that in the long run, you WILL see a change if you're true to the diet.

P.S
    You should strive for be toned rather than skinny.
    You'd be healthier anyway
    Last edited by monzter; 08-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monzter For This Useful Post:

Maki (08-03-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    183 times
    Time Online
    80d 15h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    29m
    @(you need an account to see links)

Just... no. -___-;

Generalizations like that are extremely unhelpful. Trans-fat, saturated-fat, and glucose are what lead to weight gain, and those are typically found in PROCESSED foods, especially the kind that say things like "zero fat". Eating plenty of healthy fats (the kind found real food, like healthy oils and meat) aids in weight loss. Your body needs that fat to have optimize its digestive system.

Just look up "fat fallacies". Anyway, I'm not up for having a debate with someone who doesn't know the facts. The blogs that my mom and I run have thousands of followers, and both she and I have dropped plenty of weight simply by taking the advice I posted on this thread.
    Last edited by Forever; 08-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Forever For This Useful Post:

pinkiwie (08-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    487 times
    Time Online
    26d 4h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    [/COLOR]@(you need an account to see links):

Just... no.

Generalizations like that are extremely unhelpful. Trans-fat, saturated-fat, and glucose are what lead to weight gain, and those are typically found in PROCESSED foods, especially the kind that say things like "zero fat". Eating plenty of healthy fats (the kind found in healthy oils and MEAT) aids in weight loss. Your body needs that fat to have optimize its digestive system.
    Well, its a good thing you're mum has a blog... wish mine did because that would make me correct at everything as well.

You win this round but next time... I will have my whole family make blogs... lets see how good you are then!!!

P.S when people say "cut out fat" I don't think they mean "stop eating lean steak and salad" I think they mean burgers... is that clear enough or should I put it in a blog?

I see you have an opinion?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jolz For This Useful Post:

Whispers (08-02-2013),wrath (08-02-2013)