Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    I'm not sure I followed you on that one
    So you are saying different people are good at different things? I'd agree with that.

You can be recognized on the leaderboards if youre good, make videos and what not.
    But I don't think "gaming" will ever become a big sport. Yeah people love to play video games, but there is no money in gaming... at least not MLG gaming, not like there are in sports like football, baseball, basketball.

The money in gaming is for the developers, not the players. The players provide the revenue. A professional gamer brings in next to nothing compared to other sports. So I don't see a point in having gaming be a sport, more of a hobby or past time that some people are better at than others.
    This is not true. Many pro-gamers are sponsored and earn a ton of money. Yes right now it isn't as much as the NFL or anything but it is slowly getting there. Shoot League tournys are worth a lot of money.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by katix View Post
    This is not true. Many pro-gamers are sponsored and earn a ton of money. Yes right now it isn't as much as the NFL or anything but it is slowly getting there. Shoot League tournys are worth a lot of money.

I mean, I know people get sponsored, but I mean, what's the benefit of sponsoring somebody? Do the sponsors win something when the people they sponsor win tournaments and stuff? When you win championships in other sports, you win the recognition, which I guess you can win as a gamer? Kinda? But they also have all the promotions and merchandise, ticket sales, etc etc. idk about y'all, but I'm not rolling around town in an LoL shirt, or a shirt with a gaming team. And tickets are probably significantly cheaper, and fewer in quantity.
    So the only people who it would make sense for to sponsor somebody would be the developers in order to promote their game. Ultimately, the goal being to sell more copies, or get more interest for their next game.

And out of curiosity, what is a ton of money when talking about "pro gamers"?
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

Re: Esports

I guess sponsors also benefit from merchandise sales , especially companies like razer. Mm huge amount of money would be something like the first official opening game of dota2 which had a prize money of $1 million usd to the winning team :what:

Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    14d 8h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    league's s2 prizepool was 5mil usd, and s3 is going to be 8mil i believe, with 1mil going to the winning team.
    the s1 prizepool was like $100,000.. the game's growing pretty fast ~ c:

Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    45 times
    Time Online
    8d 17h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    A sport is something that requires skill for an advantage over others, no? Therefore, ESports == Sports

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    27 times
    Time Online
    3d 19h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    The IOC recognizes both Chess and Bridge as sports. I don't see why people can't see a games like CounterStrike or Dota as sports.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Well e-sports is still a growing thing so it has to be seen whether or not it could compete with sports.

In South Korea though, gaming is not just a recreational activity for many people; it's their livelihood and they make quite a lot of money out of it.

I think given the time to develop, e-sports could perhaps become like one of many sports people spectate and pay to watch.