Thread: How to Unthethered Jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad when running 5.0.1

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    103/4
    Mentioned
    640 times
    Time Online
    15d 12h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

How to Unthethered Jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad when running 5.0.1

How to Untether Jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad using Redsn0w

This guide is for the purpose of freeing your Apple Device. This process is entirely legal. The act of piracy, however, is not. Please be wise in your decision, as this guide will only be going over how to JAILBREAK your device, not about how to get "free apps". I am also not responsible for any damage, etc. done to your device!

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS GUIDE IF YOU RELY ON A SIM UNLOCK
    OR IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY TETHERED JAILBROKEN ON 5.0.1.

THIS GUIDE IS NOT FOR IPHONE 4S/IPAD 2 ! FOR THAT GUIDE GO HERE

Note: For this guide, I will be using OSX, but the process is still the same on Windows.

Welcome to the guide, first off! I figured I would write this to help those of you who have an iDevice and would like to "free" it, or "jailbreak" it.

First off:

1) What is jailbreaking?

(you need an account to see links) describes jailbreaking as:
    iOS jailbreaking, or simply jailbreaking, is the process of removing the (you need an account to see links) imposed by (you need an account to see links) on devices running the (you need an account to see links) (you need an account to see links) through use of custom (you need an account to see links). Such devices include the (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links), and (you need an account to see links). Jailbreaking allows users to gain (you need an account to see links) to the operating system, allowing iOS users to download additional applications, extensions, and themes that are unavailable through the official (you need an account to see links). A jailbroken (you need an account to see links), (you need an account to see links), or (you need an account to see links) running (you need an account to see links) can still use the App Store, (you need an account to see links), and other normal functions, such as making telephone calls. Jailbreaking is a form of (you need an account to see links), and the term has been applied to privilege escalation on other computer systems as well.
    2) Is this safe for my device?

Yes, it is completely safe. The developers have tested all possibly outcomes and ensure a safe jailbreaking experience. However if something does go wrong, you can always just restore your iDevice! So make sure you backup first!
    Also, following the instructions WORD FOR WORD is IMPERATIVE. You don't want to not read something and mess up your device.
    3) Alright, how do I begin?

Hold your horses! We are getting there. First we need to go over how to backup your device using iTunes!

Backing up your iDevice to prepare it for jailbreaking

First make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. You can check this by updating your iTunes (which you should know how to do).
    Okay, once you have the latest version of iTunes, plug in your iDevice. Once it is recognized, right click on it in the sidebar like I have done in the picture below.

Click on "Back up".

This will begin the process of backing up the iDevice.
    The "Now Playing" box (where the song name, artist, etc. are normally shown) will tell you it is backing up and show you the progress.
    Once it is done, the "Now Playing" box will go back to normal.
    Great! you have backed up your iDevice!
    Let's move on.

Updating your iDevice to iOS 5.0.1
    (If you are on 5.0.1, skip this step!)

Now that you have backed up your iDevice, we need to make sure it is on the right firmware to be jailbroken.
    To do so, we can just update it in iTunes by clicking on the button in the following picture.

Then, press "Update" on the following popup.

Then Press "Next".
    The update will begin to download. Then, it will verify, install, etc. And It will finally say it is done.
    At this point, if your device is now running iOS 5.0.1 you may now move on with the rest of the guide.

The Jailbreaking Tools

There are a few tools you will need to jailbreak your device. You already have iTunes, so the only other one is the actual jailbreak tool, redsn0w.
    The download links for this can be found below:
    Windows - (you need an account to see links) (run in Administrator mode)
    OS X - (you need an account to see links)

When you open the program you will see:

To proceed, press "Jailbreak"

The Next screen will look like this, it is asking you to first turn off your phone, then follow the instructions.

Press "Next".

These instructions are pretty self explanatory, so just follow them WORD FOR WORD or you will mess the phone up and have to restore and start all over.

After you do this, the program will recognize you are in DFU mode, and it will jailbreak the device.
    Note, even though the program says it is done, the phone continues the jailbreak process so DO NOT mess with the phone until it is rebooted and at the "Slide To Unlock" screen.

If you have any problems, questions, comments, let me know. I'll try to help!
    This is MY guide. Please do not use without my permission. Thank you.
    I will be also writing a guide for jailbreaking the new iPhone 4S using the same text, just with different images and such.

Last edited by Ryan~; 01-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan~ For This Useful Post:

420Chan (01-20-2012),yamakracker (04-21-2012)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    N/A
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Amazing guide!!

Userbars
    Thanks