Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    And what's a coupe, is it smaller than a sedan?
    The official definitions regarding 'coupe' and 'sedan' are a little wonky, all about car dimensions (there are a few 4-door coupes and 2-door sedans, etc.).

But for simplicity:

Coupe: 2 door
    Sedan: 4 door

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    The official definitions regarding 'coupe' and 'sedan' are a little wonky, all about car dimensions (there are a few 4-door coupes and 2-door sedans, etc.).

But for simplicity:

Coupe: 2 door
    Sedan: 4 door
    I think my brothers mustang is a Coupe then because I have to crawl into the back seat. My dad and brother told me I should get a stick shift though and I don't even know what that means but they said I should get it so I don't text and drive (which I don't even do) but does that mean it's harder to drive?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    26d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Don't get a ford its an acronym for

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

Fix
    Or
    Repair
    Daily

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I know a friend who paid about 2k for their shifter thing up since it totally broke down

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:

riverdale (07-11-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    Don't get a ford its an acronym for

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

Fix
    Or
    Repair
    Daily

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I know a friend who paid about 2k for their shifter thing up since it totally broke down
    What's a shifter?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    71 times
    Time Online
    26d 18h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    The part that you move park to drive/ reverse

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I think my brothers mustang is a Coupe then because I have to crawl into the back seat. My dad and brother told me I should get a stick shift though and I don't even know what that means but they said I should get it so I don't text and drive (which I don't even do) but does that mean it's harder to drive?
    Yeah, 'stangs are coupes.

Stick shift = manual transmission.
    ^You'll have to shift gears on the clutch knob yourself when you increase/decrease speeds, as well as have another pedal to press down when you do shift gears. So you have to pay a little more attention when driving (or risk burning out the clutch).

For easiness to drive, an auto transmission is a lot easier. You just bring the clutch knob to 'Drive' and forget the rest; the car will adjust gears to your current speed on its own.

Stick shift is funner and more engaging to drive, if you're a car person. It's also cheaper than auto/DC transmission variant cars.
    But like I said, you'll need to put more effort into it, that extra attention to it is probably what your dad and bro mean by "so I don't text and drive"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Jules (07-10-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Get a Honda/Chevy/Nissan/Toyota

All older models/years, and if taken care of, will last for a LONG time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Keep it simple and get a slightly used Honda Civic. Don't bother with a Mustang/Camaro because
    1) your parents will cry over insurance
    2) there's time for that later
    You'll save tons of gas with a simple basic "family car" and some of them come with some pretty snazzy stuff. With 15k you can easily get a good hardly used Civic/Accord/Camry/Corolla. Keep it simple for your first car. Don't go sporty just yet P:

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    So I turn 17 in a couple months, and my dad thought it would be a good idea for me to start looking for a car, but I literally know nothing about cars so I don't know what would be a good car to get. I'm not gonna get a brand new one or anything, and I can't spend more than $15,000 on it. I really want a Jeep but my dad doesn't want to get me one because he says it'll flip over if I turn too fast, and I don't know if that's true or not but whatever. He wants me to get a Mustang like my brother has, but I hate my brothers car and we just can't agree on what I can get. I just need some opinions on what is a good first car to get, one that's reliable and stuff.
    15 grand? Damn... I'm 22 and my parents never got me s***
    I got a truck worth about 800 bucks, paid for by myself, and that wasn't even until last year xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    A mustang's point of view:

You mentioned noise from your brother's mustang. The v8 has a louder, throaty exhaust note. I have a v6 and it sounds like a regular car. Maybe your bro's is a v8?

Gas: My car is a 2004 convertible. Gas is 14smpg (smiles per gallon) at this point, maybe a bit less if im driving spirited.

Reliability: My car is the most sketchy purchase my dad made. We bought it online from an auction website and the car was from NC at 121k miles. My dads mechanic friend we had the car shipped to his shop, that day the dude invited some of his friends to come see the car when it arrived and everyone was like flipping out about how the engine ran so quietly and perfectly considering how it was so sketchy buying it. No problems so far, the car's driven alot its at 126k right now

Insurance: I got the car in Feb and im 20. It costs a grand more I think to insure per year than my parents cars. Since youre 17.. ouchies!! If youre going to buy it from a dealership youre gonna have to put full coverage on it. More ouchies.

Coolness and swag factor: Mustangs are cool af. You will also get more attention from guys (don't tell your dad that). The guys from HS are all like WAT ;0 when I see them out in the wild with my car, the swag rains on you. My friends are like omg lets go to the beach in your car with the top down.

Financially if the car is feasible to own past buying it and you find one you like lots theyre cool cars to have. If you become inclined to work a bit on cars it's neat modding it, parts and information are extremely readily accessible online.
    And your dad is kinda right about jeeps... I learned driving with one and they reallly feel like its going to topple over on tight turns! I had a scare once when I did a steep ass turn. They have a high center of gravity or something. If you do your turns like a sane person you really wont have an issue.

If you don't have to pay costs like gas etc on the car you should get something cool. When youre in your late 20s and need to tone it down or something yeah get a cheaper car. Find a car you would be proud of to drive in. Go hard